Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Options for the robust

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
I tried a search and was not really finding anything specific. I was wondering what you all would recommend as far as a daily wear for those of us not blessed with a 34 waist.:D

I work a job where I wear scrubs all day. So, suits are not a necessity. I didnt want to stick with the average khakis, but wanted to get some opinions. Stuff that you buy at Men's Warehouse is pretty formal.

I would just hope someone had a suggestion.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If the attire at Men's Warehouse is too formal, to what degree would like to dress? For instance, would this work: charcoal wool slacks, straight-collar blue button down shirt, argyle sweater vest and polished oxfords? That's not exactly formal, but relatively sharp.

Or are you asking where one should find vintage clothes? Besides eBay, right?

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
Charcoal wool slacks is about right. Im looking for more of a semi formal dress rather than suits. Everything you mentioned is exactly what I was looking for. I have looked on ebay, and in all honesty, it doesnt have to be vintage.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Im looking for more of a semi formal dress rather than suits. .
You might consider adding a sportcoat into the mix. They're a good choice for a bigger guy and you can dress them down to the casual side.

lupo

New in Town
One thing I'll recommend; get your shirts custom made. I have an analogous problem (big shoulders, small waist): if I don't wear a custom shirt, I look like a square rigged mast. If you don't want your belly button printing on the shirt, you probably need custom made. Doesn't cost much more than a quality shirt if you order abroad. mysuitstore.com makes decent shirts for ~$40, and he's a big guy himself.

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
The suitstore link didnt work. I live in El Paso, which isnt much for custom anything. I do wear Land's End button oxfords that fit me very nicely. I do want ot look for a casual sportcoat at the men's warehouse this coming week.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I'd say check out the outlets if you have any nearby and start off with a sport coat with a pattern. Perhaps something brown that can be mixed with gray or navy trousers. If a suit is too daunting, the jacket or two that can be paired with khakis, jeans, charcoal trousers or navy is the way to wade into a wardrobe when it comes to a man that doesn't fit well into off the rack.

Something like this jacket works with most anything.
180964_10150092394498811_642563810_6476818_409033_n.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley