Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Orange Curacao?

MrWooster

New in Town
Gentlemen,

I have been on the lookout for a very long time for a singularly illusive potation. Real Orange Curacao from Curacao is the stuff I'm after. I have no leads whatsoever, but I do live in New York and one would think that if anywhere in the world one could lay hand to it here. Alas New York has disappointed before and it generally giving the impression that it ain't what it used to be. If anyobne can help please contact me at mrwooster@aol.com

Thanks,

Sean

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
From Jab on the Tiki Central Board

I found Senior's Curacao of Curacao in a liquor store that claims to be the original, authentic, Curacao made on the island of Curacao since 1896. It cost $30. I tasted it against Hiram Walker brand last night and there's no contest - HW tastes like sugar syrup with a slight orange flavor; while Senior's has a much more pronounced orange flavor with a slightly bitter aftertaste. This will be the Curacao in my Mai Tais from now on.

Their web site says
For Senior's Cura?ɬßao liqueur the alcohol and Tobacco Tax division of the U.S.A. has ruled that it is the only one which is also authorized to put "THE AUTHENTIC" on its label. To avoid any confusion Senior & Co. furthermore changed the name to "Cura?ɬßao of Cura?ɬßao" liqueur. http://www.curacaoliqueur.com/

Tiki Central

Orange Curacao has become EXTREMELY difficult to find at liquor stores in the last few years. The reason is the public's preference for blue curacao which is the same as orange except that it is colored. So what's the difference? Mix blue curacao with bourbon and you have a drink that looks like grey mud - not very visually appealing. So you need orange curacao. I used to get this anywhere but now I have to go to Astor Liquors in the East Village. Not even Warehouse carries it! Astor also stocks Falernum syrup - the only place in NY to have it - so pick up a bottle of that too while you're there. (Needed for the incredibly delicious Key Club Cocktail) Alas, the only Orange Curacao they offer is Leroux, but I have to remain happy with that.

What some distiller should do is start producing high end liqueurs. A great cocktail is only as good as its weakest ingredient. While Marie Brizzard offers some of the basics - Creme de Menthe, Apricot, Parfait Amour, etc. - no one has a great Sloe Gin or Maraschino.

Happy drinking,

Senator Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21