Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ordering a 30's Half Belt Aero for the first time

Tomek

New in Town
Hello All,

After having looked for almost 10 years for the perfect leather jacket (I am 31), I finally stumbled on this wonderful Lounge and gathered a lot of priceless information from all the experts and the connoisseurs contributing regularly to the forum.

So this is my first message here, and I just wanted to share with you my first order of an Aero leather jacket, since you all convinced me that it could actually represent the ultimate leather jacket I have been eagerly hunting for all these years, after a lot of disappointments with mall or fashion jackets which proved to be deceitful and short-lived in the end.

As a Frenchman living in Poland, I don't have the opportunity to try on Aero jackets you can find in some retailers, so I have to go to the usual e-mail discussions to find the right size and tailoring.

Here below a copy of my first e-mail to Holly from Aero, I must say that so far I greatly appreciate how friendly, quick and precise she has answered to my questions so far ! Especially considering the huge backlog they have to handle (5 months waiting time announced for my order...).

I am looking for a slim fit, snug jacket, and I think this model should meet my criteria, with a nice design on top of that !

I usually take a size 40 for my suits. I have a 41" chest (if I take my measurement correctly...) and a 33" waist. I am also 5'11" tall and 170/176 lbs (depending on my gym routine...).

Therefore I was wondering if the size 40 would be the right choice, knowing that I really look for something tight, with only a T-shirt or a thin sweater underneath.
Do you think I should also ask for additional length on the sleeves or the back ? I like my sleeves to reach the wrists when the arms are in a relaxed position, and the back to cover/hide the belt, not necessarily longer.

After taking a couple of extra measurements, I ended up requesting 25" sleeves and 24.5" back length, plus some other customization (two panels for the arms + one inside pocket). I also went for a brown FHHQ (I shall receive some cuttings before confirmation).

Even if I fully trust Holly's suggestion on sizing, I would be grateful if some of you could confirm that a size 40 for a 30's half belt would be the right choice, considering I am looking for a trim fit.
If it may help, I purchased a 689h Schott jacket in size 42, which suits me perfectly with a hoodie, a thick sweater or several layers (which is fine, since I intend to use it during Polish winters), but is slightly roomy at the torso level when worn only with a T-shirt.

Thanks by advance for your opinions on this first (and probably not last if I am happy with my HB) Aero order !

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Tomek, it seems to me ( another newbie) that you have taken the right initial steps. 1: communicate with Holly. 2: read as much as possible here 3: have a good idea what you want, how you want it to fit, and finally knowing your measurements. good luck with your jacket, I have my first one on order as well, if, as you said there is a 5 month backlog then I have only 4 months to go

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I am very close to your size ( 5'9.5, 170 lb. 33 waist, 40 chest). I originally ordered a size 38 1930's HB and then decided upon a size 40 about a month before the jacket was made. The revision never got into the system (although I had the e-mail confirmation) and I was sent a size 38. It was too tight. I could wear it, but had very little extra room and I didn't find it comfortable. I returned it and got a size 40. It's trim, but has a little extra room. I also got the two panel sleeves. The sleeves in the size 38 were very tight and I've never been accused of having big arms.

Tomek

New in Town
Thanks both of you for your replies.
Grayland, your feed-back is really useful to me : since I am slightly taller and bigger than you, I guess the "too-tight" feeling with a size 38 would be even worse for me. If the jacket is trim but is not comfortable, I will not wear it with pleasure, which is pointless. It happened to me with former jackets, which are now waiting in vain for an hypothetical new life in my wardrobe...

Initially I was hesitating between the sizes 38 and 40, but I am pretty sure now that the size 40 is the right one for me. That's a big comfort before triggering up the order !

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Tomek, with your waist size you won't be happy with a 40. Believe me, I know from experience. Aero are notorious for erring on the large size. Wade from Insurrection routinely recommends one size smaller than Aero, and for a reason. Wade caters more to young, slim guys looking for a trim fit. Aero are more used to middle-aged guys with a paunch. I sent them my exact measurements and asked for a trim fit. I am 6'1.5", 33 waist, 40 chest, 77 kg. The jacket they made for me was so so loose and had so much excess fabric in the chest, that it had a very bad batwing effect when raising my arms. Additionally the waist was so loose that I could wear a watermelon or football underneath. Certainly no trim fit! Being unaware of their return policy I kept it for a year before selling it. For my second jacket I asked for a hybrid size: shoulders size 40, chest and waist 38. That did the trick for me. Fit is perfect now.

Metatron

One Too Many
Yes I find that having a 42 chest and a 33 waist things often fit me in the chest but are loose in the waist. So it's worth paying attention to the chest/waist ratio.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Maybe your definition of snug is different than mine.

Here's a pic of my not-so-snug half belt. I don't have a side view, but you can see that the waist is quite roomy despite the buckles being tightened to the max. The chest is way too loose and shows lots of excess fabric.

Bild%252813.jpg

Here's my second jacket. Snug fit.

4%2520am%252008-05-2012%2520um%252013.21%2520%25238.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Yes. That's with just a shirt underneath. With a chunky gansey I take them in half way and still feel very comfortable.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Rudie, I hope my definition of sung is different to yours (our tastes are quite different) - but it is a subjective term. But from teh photos here I'd say my jacket is more fitted. And that's not a look I'm after. I prefer leather jackets to be a half-size or full size larger. But it's just a question of personal preference. I'm a tall thin to medium build, so I can wear both if I want.

My size 42 half belt is the smallest jacket I could fit into. My shoulders and arms could not get into anything smaller as they are very tightly held in the 42.

By the way - nice jacket, Rudie. Good look for you all around.

Last edited:

Tomek

New in Town
Thanks everyone for your contribution.

I have to say I am a bit confused after the messages from Rudie (and Metatron as well). Now I am wondering if I have to specify a more tapered cut at the waist and even possibly at the chest level in case I opt for a size 40, as you Rudie suggested...
However I have the feeling that you are slimmer than me from what I can see on the pictures, and you are definitively taller. You also seem to have a definition of snug which looks more restrictive than mine, at least compared to my tastes.

Seb Lucas, apart from your 41" chest, would you mind giving me other measurement as well (such as the waist for instance) ? If a size 42 is snug for you, I see no reason to take a jacket two sizes smaller in my case, with a 40" chest...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks everyone for your contribution.

I have to say I am a bit confused after the messages from Rudie (and Metatron as well). Now I am wondering if I have to specify a more tapered cut at the waist and even possibly at the chest level in case I opt for a size 40, as you Rudie suggested...
However I have the feeling that you are slimmer than me from what I can see on the pictures, and you are definitively taller. You also seem to have a definition of snug which looks more restrictive than mine, at least compared to my tastes.

Seb Lucas, apart from your 41" chest, would you mind giving me other measurement as well (such as the waist for instance) ? If a size 42 is snug for you, I see no reason to take a jacket two sizes smaller in my case, with a 40" chest...

6 feet 2 - 185 pounds, 33 inch waist. I understand that other Aero's are cut more generously.

Tomek

New in Town
Thanks Seb Lucas.

I think for me a size 40 for a 30's Half Belt should be cut trim enough for my tastes.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
You can't argue about taste. Personally, I don't have a problem with blousy jackets. But what I positively hate on a short jacket is when the hem is not close to my hips. Like in this pic of Cole with his too wide A-2:
a2-baby3.jpg

Aero's sizing kind of baffles me. Everybody says a Highwayman is bulky and a 30s Half Belt much trimmer. When I tried on a Highwayman at a local shop they had no 40 available, but a 38. I could barely put it on. It was very snug. I could hardly begin zipping it up. My current half belt is much more generously sized. And the size 40 I had before was like a circus tent in comparison.

Thanks for the compliment, Seb. :) I love that jacket.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
You can't argue about taste. Personally, I don't have a problem with blousy jackets. But what I positively hate on a short jacket is when the hem is not close to my hips. Like in this pic of Cole with his too wide A-2:
a2-baby3.jpg

Rumor has it that pic was taken after an Octoberfest celebration.

Davo

New in Town
Overall, it seems very difficult to predict the fit of these jackets. I'd send your measurements and trust them. If it doesn't fit, send it back.

I'm very slim. Most 36 suit jackets are a tad big on me but I was told a 36 30's slim-fit half-bet would fit. It does.

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
Rudie your second jacket is a great fit and looks fantastic in the last picture.

Do you think some of the fit issues with the first jacket was down to the thickness of the horse hide, the second jacket is goatskin right?

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Thanks!

No, the fit issues were due to my shoulder-waist-ratio. The goatskin is much more comfortable, though. It felt good right out of the box, no breaking-in needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy