Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overly appreciated movies?

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Gotta chime in here & say "No Country For Old Men." Probably the worst movie I've ever seen. Isn't that Coen brothers? Which is weird, because I really liked "Oh Brother Where Art Thou." Oh well. ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I haven't read a single post in this thread bit I'm sure that every movie on the AFI 100 Greatest list has been mentioned. :p

Edward

Bartender
Gotta chime in here & say "No Country For Old Men." Probably the worst movie I've ever seen. Isn't that Coen brothers? Which is weird, because I really liked "Oh Brother Where Art Thou." Oh well. ;)

Mn, I found it overrated. Not bad as such, but not as good as the rest of their oeuvre. I do wodner whether it was a case of the Oscars et cetera, as they so often do, feeling that they had overlooked the Coens for too long, so whatever they put out next would have been the Big Thing....

In this forum I'm sure Casablanca will always be bulletproof.

Ha, as good as. Thing is, for something that was thrown together as a run of the mill, crappy little propaganda piece, it's pretty much a perfect film. I'm so glad it was made when it was - if today, it would have been vomit-inducing in its sentimentality, and the idea of what they'd do to end it doesn't bear thinking about...

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I might just be stirring up a little debate here:

Saving Private Ryan

Now, don't get me wrong, I think it's a great film. But i just feel that its reputation is a little too over the top.

I can't fault the opening sequences but after that it all gets a bit too 'action movie'. The final battle sequences are just too much for me. I recall a review from a British veteran of the fighting in Normandy. After watching the film he said something along the lines of 'The thing about street fighting is that you never go into the street.' He also commented on the overuse of ammunition.
And there's the 'let's use TNT filled socks to disable the tank' scene - just run out into the street and stick these things to a tank. What about trying the bazooka from an upstairs window?

I could go on, but i would be interested to know other people's thoughts.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I would be interested to know other people's thoughts.
Spielberg is the quintessential Hollywood dream merchant. If you have problems with realism and accuracy in his films (or anything out of Hollywood) you would be better served by viewing documentaries. C'est la vie.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I might just be stirring up a little debate here:

Saving Private Ryan

Now, don't get me wrong, I think it's a great film. But i just feel that its reputation is a little too over the top.

I can't fault the opening sequences but after that it all gets a bit too 'action movie'. The final battle sequences are just too much for me. I recall a review from a British veteran of the fighting in Normandy. After watching the film he said something along the lines of 'The thing about street fighting is that you never go into the street.' He also commented on the overuse of ammunition.
And there's the 'let's use TNT filled socks to disable the tank' scene - just run out into the street and stick these things to a tank. What about trying the bazooka from an upstairs window?

I could go on, but i would be interested to know other people's thoughts.
I disagree. One cannot overplay a battle scene, for anyone who has fought them (not that I have). I thought the final battle really made the movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot