Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pairing saddle shoes with a suit

Which color shoe with a navy suit? (Per my outlined dilemma in the post)

• Cream with Brown Saddle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Black half-boot (Safe and technically correct color)

• Ugly, too big, but right color Cognac half-boot (Look smashing from a distance!)

• Total voters

Macheath

One of the Regulars
I'm going to my sister's big 18th this Saturday, and will be wearing a Dark Navy suit.

The consensus on The Lounge (according to this thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=36023) appears to be that black shoes go best with navy, but I disagree. I think black and blue clash, and brown is a more complementary color, though not much better than black.

I would prefer to wear something in oxblood, but that would mean buying a new pair of shoes, and I don't have enough time to make an informed purchase. Tan or cognac would be my second choice, but the closest thing I have is a cream colored shoe with a brown saddle, like this one:

48b6df7e8e04c_78965n.jpg

I was under the impression that saddle shoes have about the same level of formality as wingtips, but I'd like to be corrected if I'm mistaken. In any case, I'd like to know if you guys think this would be appropriate to wear with a navy suit.

If the saddle shoes don't work, I have two other options:

-I have a pair of Black cuban-heeled half boots

-I also have a pair of square-toed half boots in cognac, although it's half a size to big. Although the color works well with the suit, I think the shoe itself is ugly (it was one of those failed eBay purchases).

Other probably pertinent info:
-The Suit is SB, with notch lapels.
-Will probably be wearing an odd-colored vest and a conservative design bow tie
-The event is black-tie optional, although my mother was very unclear on the dress code at first and I did not find out for sure until this week. I don't have enough time to put together a proper black tie attire, although it doesn't matter since I've never seen black tie done properly around here (think notch lapels, regular belted trousers, and horror of horrors: white socks!), and I'd be better served by just wearing a suit, and at the moment I only have the one navy SB. Basically, I don't care about the formality of my attire, I just want it to work.

EDIT: I think I'm leaning towards the black. As much as I dislike the combination, now that I picture it, cream doesn't seem like it would work with dark blue. I'll have to see when I have them together to know for sure (I like to think I have a good eye for these things, but I have to see it in person, and the saddle shoe idea was something that popped into my head tonight and seemed like an option).

Either way, I'd still like some opinions!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Is a suit mandatory for the event? If not, wear a blue blazer (or the blue suit jacket), khaki trousers (you must have a pair) and the saddle shoes.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
The black shoes look great, but I'm a sucker for Saddle shoes! You must wear them with the suit sometime--- I think they would balance better with the colors in your tie, and I agree that brown and navy go together better.

Also, I'm a sucker for bow ties. Very nicely put together.

Edward

Bartender
I went for years not wearing brown with a blue suit. These days, I alternatve between brown (but a decently dark brown - never a tan) and black, largely depending upon what colour the accessories are (tie / hat / etc). To pair those saddle shoes with that suit, I'd be working in a good brown tie and a brown hat.

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Saddle shoes do not go with a suit. They never have , and never will. Spectators are an entirely different species.

On the other hand, some like to wear their hats indoors, and wear brown shoes with blue suits, and striped suit coats with non-matching pants. Do whatever. Wearing your underwear on the outside of your clothing is the next big thing. Or, preferably, on your head.

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Bourbon Guy said:
Saddle shoes do not go with a suit. They never have , and never will. Spectators are an entirely different species.

It does look a bit silly, but I had to see it on myself to decide that it does. That's why I went with the black boots.

I wouldn't discount wearing these with a dark suit though:

reverse.JPG

They're still saddle shoes, but the white saddles make them spectator-esqe

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Is wearing saddle shoes with suit equivalent to wearing converse Chucks with a suit? Because David Tennant made a career out of that...

Macheath

One of the Regulars
maggiethespy said:
Is wearing saddle shoes with suit equivalent to wearing converse Chucks with a suit? Because David Tennant made a career out of that...

If it's a look that the Doctor is sporting, you might say it's "timeless". :p :p

I wore my cream with brown saddles to swing dancing one time, with a bowling shirt since I was going for a trendy 50's look, and my partner asked me why I was wearing "bowling shoes". I didn't know that they designed bowling shoes that had saddles, but I do see how they can have that connotation.

It think Marc C's right about the cordovan and black saddles. It seems like it would only work with a suit if the vamps are a dark color.

I do think Tomasso is onto something about wearing them with khakis and a blazer.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Macheath said:
If it's a look that the Doctor is sporting, you might say it's "timeless". :p :p

I wore my cream with brown saddles to swing dancing one time, with a bowling shirt since I was going for a trendy 50's look, and my partner asked me why I was wearing "bowling shoes". I didn't know that they designed bowling shoes that had saddles, but I do see how they can have than connotation.

Timeless.lol

I get asked why I'm wearing "bowling shoes" or "golf shoes" all of the time :(

I also get asked why I dress like it's the 70s...

There's no hope for some people, huh?

To be back on topic, I'll just say that I think you should wear what makes you feel happy, and not worry about the standards of others, even when it comes to what shoes are appropriate for wearing with suits. Just go with what you feel great in, and if you look happy, others will think you look smashing!

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
maggiethespy said:

... and Emmett Kelly made a career out of wearing a big red nose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21