Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pajamas in public...

If they do that, they're probably locals. Can't bite the hands that feed us. One of our goals was to open in a poor area and change it for the better. I personally always wear slacks with a dress shirt and my hat, and my main partner's a polo shirt and khakis kind of guy - none of the four of us would raise eyebrows from the membership here.

I meant if an employee showed up like that. Customers you have no control of---unfortunately.

A good thirty years ago or so I had a dark purple with white piping pajama top I occasionally wore as just another shirt. Big ol' white buttons, 3/4 length sleeves. I dug it, and so did several others, judging from their favorable comments. Wish I still had it.

But I acknowledge that there's a big, big difference between that nice if somewhat whimsical pajama top and what I believe y'all take exception with. I don't much care for the look of sweatpants, which are quite pajama-like, or tops, for that matter, although I accept that sweat tops are here to stay whether I like 'em or not.

I used to work for a guy, a disbarred attorney, whose regular uniform was a polo shirt and a pair of sweatpants -- dark blue ones, typically, which often bore evidence of what he had had at his most recent meal or two. Looked like hell. If he planned on going out, which he did frequently, he threw on a sports jacket. If he weren't my employer I wouldn't have been seen in public with him.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
"I remember him cutting quite a dash, always very smartly turned out in pyjamas, slippers, dressing gown and cravat, enjoying his first pipe of the day."

Ok, I guess I could live with the guy in his silk pajamas like this but only in the early morning or late evening. This guy on the other hand....:

pyjamas2.jpg

I'm very confused; is this fella on his way to the gym, or back to bed?

Looking at it another way, those pj pants will probably hide the food stains from all of those Walmart goodies he's going to buy much better than that grey sweatshirt...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I was at the bank the other day and there was this guy in his bathrobe in line. It was a nice looking one, but still, a bath robe? He couldn't have just thrown that off and put on a jacket? Lazy is to the point now that we are one step away from the Wall-e scenario of folks just floating around in a chair in a onesie.

Cheers!

Dan

samtemporary

One of the Regulars
Many people - young men as well as women - wearing PJs at the airport last week. I was on my way to New Orleans for a conference (which just so happened to coincide with St. Patty's day) and couldn't get over the complete disregard for appearance. I decided to snap a quick pick in the Tampa airport to show my disgust...
418396_10150762752472873_667242872_11621313_75446905_n.jpg

Drappa

One Too Many
^Oh yes,I nearly forgot about some people having to travel in sleepwear since one needs to be comfortable at all times, especially during something so stressful...
I have never been uncomfortable on a plane, even in daywear and despite long haul flights or 12 hour delays, so it makes me wonder what these people do wear on a daily basis that is so terrible it can't be endured on a plane?
I wish I owned an airline, just so I could refuse service to customers in sleepwear or velour tracksuits.

dnjan

One Too Many
I was mentioning the issue of students wearing pajamas to class to a colleague, and his opinion was that it would be OK if the PJ's were babydolls.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
^Oh yes,I nearly forgot about some people having to travel in sleepwear since one needs to be comfortable at all times, especially during something so stressful...
I have never been uncomfortable on a plane, even in daywear and despite long haul flights or 12 hour delays, so it makes me wonder what these people do wear on a daily basis that is so terrible it can't be endured on a plane?
I wish I owned an airline, just so I could refuse service to customers in sleepwear or velour tracksuits.

I've slept in airports for days and still was able to wear real clothes. Granted, they were jeans and my clothes were dirty (not much you can do in an airport when your flight gets canceled and you are trying to fly standby every 6 hours with a "confirmed ticket" 3 days later), but they were clothes, not PJs. It's bad enough I had to sleep in the airport, wearing my PJs would have been the final straw.

Last edited:

Drappa

One Too Many
^Exactly! I miss people actually having nice travel outfits which were nicer than their everyday clothes. When I mentioned my "Going Away dress" for my honeymoon my friends looked at me as though I had three heads.
Having said all that, I think there is a visible contrast between North American airports and most European airports. When I was flying home from uni I could always tell when I'd arrived in Frankfurt or Amsterdam, because travellers were generally a lot less casual than when I'd started my trip.

Edward

Bartender
I fly long haul three to four times a year with work, for Beijing, and maybe a couple of other places. The project does have the money to fly me business class (lovely - on my own money it's steerage all the way, while most work trips they'd fly me strapped to the wing i they saved a fiver on it). I do notice that few in business class travel in collar and tie - denims are more the order of the day. Never seen anyone dressed very shabbily, though, nor do I see the velour tracksuits at all. A few at the airport, but mostly it's the shirt and denim thing. Often travel in jeans myself, depending where I'm going, but I tend to prefer a pair of casual slacks, shirt, cravat and a jacket of some sort - maybe a Harrington, a leather or a blazer, depending upon destination and time of year. In general I find folks from the US more casual at airports, but it may be that those whom I have encountered are flying for leisure, whereas the Europeans are on business. I do find collar and tie still gets me treated m uch better through security, though I've never been selected for upgrading (alas - I live in hope!).

I was at the bank the other day and there was this guy in his bathrobe in line. It was a nice looking one, but still, a bath robe? He couldn't have just thrown that off and put on a jacket? Lazy is to the point now that we are one step away from the Wall-e scenario of folks just floating around in a chair in a onesie. Cheers! Dan

As long as he doesn't ask for someone at the bank to help him change his "Depends" adult diaper I guess we're not supposed to think it gauche.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Years ago (1984), a friend of mine got on one of"our airplanes" (Boeing) with his boss. Lou was dressed in jeans and a sweat shirt. His boss got on him for representing the company in a poor way. Lou replied (correctly) that he wasn't representing the company and as far as anyone knew he was unemployed. Sleeping for a couple of days in an airport (another of his many experiences) isn't good for your 3 piece pinstripe suits.

I commonly wear scrubs with the cargo pockets in preparation for being strip searched by the TSA. WRT the TSA, when they start treating us like human beings, I'll dress up.

Later

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
WRT the TSA, when they start treating us like human beings, I'll dress up.

I agree.

Although I love wearing skirts, the planes are too cold to wear a skirt- I'd have to wear leggings. I don't wear "artificial fibers" to travel in, so leggings are out. So I wear jeans. I also was internally flagged as a "random search" at my local airport for several years. (A traveler is supposed to be removed after being placed on the "random search list" for a single flight, but I was left on until an agent finally took me off.) After the numerous pat downs, I stopped trying to even dress up.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Many people - young men as well as women - wearing PJs at the airport last week. I was on my way to New Orleans for a conference (which just so happened to coincide with St. Patty's day) and couldn't get over the complete disregard for appearance. I decided to snap a quick pick in the Tampa airport to show my disgust...
418396_10150762752472873_667242872_11621313_75446905_n.jpg

Tie's a little loose there..... and who is St. Patty?????:confused:

rue

I agree.

Although I love wearing skirts, the planes are too cold to wear a skirt- I'd have to wear leggings. I don't wear "artificial fibers" to travel in, so leggings are out. So I wear jeans. I also was internally flagged as a "random search" at my local airport for several years. (A traveler is supposed to be removed after being placed on the "random search list" for a single flight, but I was left on until an agent finally took me off.) After the numerous pat downs, I stopped trying to even dress up.

I do everything in my power not to fly, but if I have to, I still wear a dress on the plane. It's just more comfortable than anything else without wearing PJs and y'all know I won't do that ;) Plus, I grew up in an era when everyone still wore nice clothes to travel, so that's how I think it should be, even if I'm in the minority these days.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Same here. I only own one pair of pants which is exceedingly uncomfortable to wear if I'm sitting for any length of time. In the winter I wear cotton stockings, which keeps me plenty warm.

I utterly despise modern aviation because of the complete disrespect it shows to the cargo. ("passenger" is too classy a word to describe the modern experience.) I'd rather travel on a boxcar full of hobos than put up with it, but sometimes there's no way to avoid the experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran