Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Palm Springs Air Museum Founder Passes

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Sad, sad news here in the desert: Bob Pond, a WWII veteran and the founder of the Palm Springs Air Museum, died last Friday. Bob built the PSAM collection almost single-handedly, and has made a huge contribution to aviation history. Nearly all the planes at the Palm Springs Air Museum were personally owned by Bob, as well as one of the finest automobile collections in the country.

Rest in peace, Bob, and thanks for all you've done.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Absolutely! It's a fantastic museum, and the best part about the collection is that something like 90% are in flying condition. They fly every Saturday.

The 12th has a great presentation:

DR. EDWARD GORDON “When The Desert Fox Meets General Patton” – Dr. Gordon will speak on the battle in the desert. General Patton look alike will be present in uniform, pearl-handled revolvers, medals, etc. to greet visitors.

Unfortunately that's the day my wife flies out, so though I will be at the PS airport, I will not be there for the lecture.

We'll have to get something together, Tony.

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
Ohh, i just fell by this thread...this is too bad, he was a great guy and hired me on a couple occasions to perform at functions at the museum. He had a great humor and was very generous...sharing his collection was something above and beyond the call of duty, he will be missed.

AARP

Familiar Face
That is very sad indeed. That was one of the highlights as a toddler going to Palm Springs for spring break and seeing the Air Muesum. I think that's what got me into being a history buff. I still go there almost every year. Btw, do you know if Dean Hunter is still there? He walked me through the B-17 a couple years back and then I bought his auto-biography on the way out. Now that I read it, I respect him even more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff