Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pancakes, Waffles, Crepes or French Toast...?

Justin B

One Too Many
I'm of the mind that pastries alone are not a proper breakfast. As a part of, to include: Eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns/grits, fruit, and milk. I know, people complain they don't have time for a breakfast like that...I say get out of bed earlier.

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
As far as the list, buttermilk pancakes with butter and maple syrup.
My favorite is homemade biscuits with sausage gravy, eggs over easy, hash browns, bacon, and every now and then grits.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I agree Justin We have something close to that breakfast on the weekends. No grits (wife eats those during the week) and no bacon. 3 eggs each for my wife and I, hashbrowns, sausage, and biscuits. To be healthy, we have turkey sausage, the hashbrowns are cooked in the Nuwave oven with a bit of oil to fry them, and the 6 eggs have 2 egg whites mixed in.
If I'm going to have a pastry, I usually include a protein.

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I'm of the mind that pastries alone are not a proper breakfast. As a part of, to include: Eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns/grits, fruit, and milk. I know, people complain they don't have time for a breakfast like that...I say get out of bed earlier.

Forget time, I don't have the stomach for that kinda stuff in the morning*. A couple cookies, some toast, or a pastry along with a healthy amount of coffee is about all I want. If I get up really early (before 6) then a bit of seltzer water becomes a necessity. I don't know why, but it makes mornings easier.

If I am sleeping in and doing a brunch kinda deal, then the English/American breakfast might make an appearance, but generally I prefer continental. I will have a big meal at 1 or so for lunch.

*except fruit. Fruit is always welcome, any time of day or night.

george

New in Town
Agreed. I'm usually not hungry enough for a big, protein-packed breakfast, despite the fact that breakfast should theoretically be your biggest meal. It's the first meal of the day so it's unlikely you won't later spend whatever energy you put in by eating it; that is, your body could make good use of a big breakfast. A guy I knew who said he hiked across England back in his day said he ate heavier breakfasts in the northern part of the country, because apparently that's what they like to eat up there, and that it made his hike harder in the morning, the heavy food weighing him down, but by the afternoon he was hiking at his fastest pace ever because he had the energy to do it.

I ate Eggos again today... they're really rather light, but I have this supposedly odd way of eating them (or so I'm told it's odd). I like to spread peanut butter on them. Besides being delicious, it does add some weight, fat, and protein to an otherwise very light meal. You could probably make a pretty decent PB&J with those waffles instead of bread.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Pancakes first (of these), Waffles second, and French Toast third. I don't LIKE French toast, don't hate it either. Pancakes with real butter and real maple syrup are great. Bagels with regular cream cheese are great, but Breakfast SHOULD always consist of cinnamon rolls and coffee.

Later

TCMfan25

Practically Family
On the list..... Crepes.

Not on the list..... Corn Chip Beef, two pieces of Rye Toast with butter, eggs sunny side up with a dollop of HP Fruity, a tall glass of OJ, and a cup of English Breakfast milk no sugar... or a FULL English Breakfast.

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
Pancakes with maple syrup, Waffles with butter and jam, crepes with some type of berry jelly, and French Toast with powdered sugar and lemon juice. (a few drops only, just enough for flavour)

As has been mentioned, these aren't the only things on the menu, just the things of this category... ;)
Donuts and bagels have always been more something I enjoyed with coffee on a cold winter morning, before I get around to getting up and making breakfast for the family... ;) [that's another good thing about waking early when the rest of your family gets up late... that and posting on TFL!] :D

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I haven't had French Toast since I was a kid...
Pancakes (with real blueberries), then waffles if I were to buy a waffle iron.
Crepes, ah those take too much time for me, I'd rather do omeletes. LOL

Steven180

One of the Regulars
Big, thick, cake-like Belgian waffles served simply with fruit and freshly whipped cream.

I'm with rue on the close second...chocolate filled croissants with a nice cup of coffee.

M.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner