Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Party Time...

Etienne

A-List Customer
My husband and I are thinking of hosting a 40's party for some of our friends. Has anyone given a party of this type and, if so, have you got any great ideas? What are the "must haves"?!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The simplest only need Swing Music and alcohol. Many people throw "Gatsby Parties," though earlier than the 40s, these are similar in theme. If you searched on line, I am sure there are suggestions on how to do this.

Perhaps, the Gatsby period is easier for some people, because they'll throw on a flapper dress.

In any case, it's a great idea. You could always include some helpful tips in the invitation.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Some ideas

Serve weird food from the era. Search Lileks' Gallery of Regrettable Food for ideas.
Pick up some inexpensive postcards from the '40's with Rt. 66 vacation destinations and use them as invitations.
To really have fun with the invites (if it's a small gathering), buy several issues of LIFE Magazine from that time (cheap), and tuck the invitations inside, send them out with the above-mentioned postcards, which are to be returned as RSVP. (if you can get a supper club going, then you can drop attendee's RSVP postcards into a nice fedora and draw out the name of the host for the next gathering)
Doilies, Colorful tablecloths, fancy napkins, big tapers.
I bet you can pick up some very inexpensive dishes from the '40's in a thrift store/antique mall. Some of the ironstone stuff sits unsold for eons.
Husband greets guests in a silk smoking jacket or robe (shirt and tie underneath).
If you smoke, put out cigarettes in the little boxes from the time, with table lighters.
Find a cool art deco barware set. Serve golden era concoctions. If a picnic party, make drinks that require a little umbrella.
Relish trays!
Also Coke in the old-fashioned looking small bottles. Serve cold, with a straw stuck in the bottle.
etc. etc.
IF you happen to have some little speakers, and guests with iPods, you can ask them to bring their favorite 40's tunes, take turns plugging them in and your music worries are over. A Victrola would not be really correct for the 40's (unless a portable for a picnic), but if you can pick up an old electric from that decade and some 78's you'll have a source of brief fun (tiresome changing records after every song - novelty wears off in ten minutes)

Hannigan Reilly

One of the Regulars
May I recommend Old Mr. Boston 5 star Brandy? Since 1933. the company has changed hands a few times, but the Boston Globe reports that Barton Brands, who now own the name, are still making it with the original recipes.

largesellsheet.jpg

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars

I'll be moving out to San Diego at the end of the month and once I get all settled me and the ol' lady are going to have a house warming party. And it will be a Golden Area Themed Murder Mystery Party.

Basically you can buy the "kits" online that includes all the characters names and stories and props they may need. Or you can create your own story and characters, lastly you can combine both buy and "kit" and change it to fit you.

Once I get all the character sheets and info I will send out my invites... most likely something along the lines of "The millionaire recluse (character name) invites you to his home for a dinner and drinks" or something like that then go on to explain the characters and roles they play.... and the faster they R.S.V.P. the better chance they get to play the character they want. Plus it also gives the indiviual person enough time to find the stuff they might want to use as their character. Then I plan on have a sit down meal where people (in character) can gather clues and then drinks and stuff will follow... I don't want to give to much away because most likely people will read this post who will be invited to my House Warming. ;)

It's a great idea because it promotes socializing among people who have never met because they are playing a character and have to talk to "everyone" in order to solve the mystery.

There is TONS of stuff online about these parties as far as decorations, food ideas, costumes and props go.

Just my two cents. If you have any other questions don't be afraid to PM me.

Yours In Adventure-
DocIndyJones

Etienne

A-List Customer
Hi, DocIndyJones! I've seen those in stores and such and always thought they looked like a lot of fun. Hmmmmmm, now you've got me thinking that this might be a terrific idea!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn