Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Passe' words and phrases

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Two archaisms in one phrase "While you've a lucifer to light your fag". Lucifer, of course, being a match, fag being short for faggot, the literal meaning of which is a bundle of sticks. My mother always used the term "fag" for cigaret. Where it got the more infamous current meaning I don't know, and don't intend to explore.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
and its only showing your age if you call something that isn't linoleum, linoleum as a general word for floor.

I happen to -have- linoleum in my humble abode, so calling it by its proper name, does not show my age at all. No sireee!

Goes off to sit on the divan.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I often get chided for using "ink pen" or "fountain pen" to describe a ballpoint pen device.
I use this to differentiate between a felt tip or other newer writing instrument.

I know "fountain pen" is wrong as that is another animal but I heard that my whole youth.

I tire of "at this point in time" when "now" is all that needs to be said.

I have to admit to giggling under my breath when I hear " 'mute' point" when the person is referring to a moot point. I guess I shouldn't be surprised when the pres can't figure out nuclear is not newk-you-ler..........

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i use 'linoleum' for any fake tile floor or whatever...
'filling station', 'dough'(watched too much cagney), and other words i can't think of...

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I use more anachronisms than I can even recall because all of them seem natural to me until someone points it out.

I call a small restaurant a "diner" and a food area inside a building (that's not intended for food, like a mall or hospital) a "cafeteria".

I call rude or ignorant people bohunks (not in a racial way, mind you)

I use tin foil and tin cans, and just about anything that might be aluminum is referred to as tin. I've actually used real tinfoil before, but it's been ages.

When I get mad I might say, "fiddlesticks!", or "God bless it!", or "Oh that just gets me all riled up!"

I sit on a "davenport" at home.

When I'm at work and I leave to use the rest room, I might say, "I need to see a man about a horse".

I generally "shoot the wind" or "chew the fat" with my friends.

Sometimes when I'm out getting a drink, or spoiling my lady, I might throw down some "jing" to pay for services.

I often refer to people as pleasant "folks" or "lousy" jerks.

Somtimes when I'm mad, I might address a guy with, "Hey Jack, let me tell you something..." or "Listen sister, you outta know..."

And every kitchen and bathroom floor I've known is linoleum, regardless of its actual material composition.

THINGS THAT DATE ME (or thereabouts):
Masonite siding - all rotted and what have you
Formica countertops - cuts and burn marks galore
Microwave Ovens - that actually have temperature dials and were intended to cook entire meals.
Clickers - remotes that were boxes hardwired to the television which actually *clicked* as you moved them
Bag Balm - I use it for everything
Tang - I don't care...I like it.
DOS - It's what I learned to use before there was a strange-but-useless software called 'Windows' on the market.

DerMann

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
Two archaisms in one phrase "While you've a lucifer to light your fag". Lucifer, of course, being a match, fag being short for faggot, the literal meaning of which is a bundle of sticks. My mother always used the term "fag" for cigaret. Where it got the more infamous current meaning I don't know, and don't intend to explore.

While you've a lucifer to light your fag, smile boys that's the style!
What's the use of worrying, it never was worthwhile,
so pack up your troubles in your old kitbag and smile, smile, smile

Lovely song :D

suitedcboy said:
I often get chided for using "ink pen" or "fountain pen" to describe a ballpoint pen device.
I use this to differentiate between a felt tip or other newer writing instrument.

I know "fountain pen" is wrong as that is another animal but I heard that my whole youth.

You could always use a fountain pen to be correct in your terminology :D

Also,bally, blasted, blighting, bleeding, and (of course) bloody are safe explitives (especially in America).

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My mother says "put that in your pipe and smoke it." The very very first time I heard it (she does not use it often) I was delighted as its meaning is so obvious, yet to me at 9 it was wonderfully colorful.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:
My mother says "put that in your pipe and smoke it." The very very first time I heard it (she does not use it often) I was delighted as its meaning is so obvious, yet to me at 9 it was wonderfully colorful.

Means pretty much the same as "How do ya like them apples?"

Jack R.

New in Town
I use 'kat' when referring to a friend of mine, or someone I think is cool, I use 'lid' for hat, and post for mail, I also use 'bwana' for my mum, dad, grandmum, or anyone who is overly bossy.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Braxton36 said:
I'll admit to: tin foil, (instead of alumimum foil) pocketbook (instead of purse)and ice box (instead of refrigerator). .

I stuck with tin foil because when I was a lil Faythe, I could never say aluminim the right way, stupid speech impediments.

arthur

Suspended
I always say what a dish when remarking about an attractive member of the opposite gender.One that always gets a strange look from my coworkers is "you said it brother".

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
I still "dial" the phone, even though I don't.

I still say "hip", even though I'm not.

But using those words is still a "gas"!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Comme on parle chez Fletch

Any disc recording, even a CD, is a "record."

The air conditioner is "the pump."

A car accelerator is a "feed."

The garage is, often as not, "the barn."

Coupons, other than the grocery variety, are "chits." That thing you get at the hotel entitling you to a free breakfast? That's a chit. The slip the grocery gives you for your deposit bottles? That's a chit too.

Any snack bar is known by the Navy term, "gedunk."

Any toiletry kit is a "Dopp Kit," after the spring-clasp kind originated by the Doppelt Company.

I still use "oh brother" and "hot dog" as exclamations, not entirely without irony, but almost.

carter

I'll Lock Up
suitedcboy said:

I tire of "at this point in time" when "now" is all that needs to be said.

I have to admit to giggling under my breath when I hear " 'mute' point" when the person is referring to a moot point. I guess I shouldn't be surprised when the pres can't figure out nuclear is not newk-you-ler..........

I just knew you were in Texas!

Don't forget:
Irregardless - when regardless is correct.
Tump Over - rather than overturn (as in tump over the boat).
Boy Howdy - as an exclamation (think Yahoo!).
The way back - as in the extreme rear area of your station wagon or SUV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24