Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Chang, Vintage Tailor

Harry Lime

Suspended
This thread could have also gone under jackets but it's a tip for those who love teh vintage style, want a custom tailored piece for whatever reason, and don't want to spend multiple thousands on one suit - Paul Chang's tailor Shop in Chicago.

Paul was trained by English tailors in Hong Kong and has been in Chicago for about 30 years. He's located on LaSalle and Lake. His phone number is (312) 232-0423. He's made suits for the lawyers and politicos of Chicago for years.

Not as well known is he is something of Hollywood's vintage tailor of choice. he has done the clothes for many of Hollywood's vintage movies and shows. If you liked the suits and overcoats in Road you liked Paul's work. He also did Hoodlum, The Untouchables (series) and many others. He's a great tailor, knows his vintage clothes and his prices are quite affordable. Paul does a ton of work for Albert Wolsky, a notoriously picky Hollywood period clothes designer. He's a great guy.

If you live in Chicago (or visit) you can probably be taken care of fairly quickly. Or maybe you can send garments you have to copy, i don't know. I've brought him tons of pictures from Apparel Arts (originals I have) and catalogues of the type Wild Root generously shares and he's made many spot-on copies. I'm on the road and terrible with computers or I'd post (sorry.) maybe you can call for samples if you're interested.

What prompted this in particular is the '40's Hollywood Jacket thread that's been running - I've had Paul make me several of these. They're awesome and very versatile. He's a great guy and a great tailor and loves this vintage stuff as much as we all do.

He also makes those cool camp collar shirts, the long sleeve flapped pocket types. Chi McBride wears some giant ones in Hoodlum. (Not the greatest film, but some pretty cool clothes by the way.)

And no, just as I'm not Graham Thompson I'm also not Paul Chang. (Paul, Optimo, Oxxford - apparently as a Chicagoan I'm in the vintage-inspired clothing capital of the world.)

Hope this is helpful to many of you gents.

Harry Lime

I know many of you prefer "real" vintage, that's cool. But for those of us who can't ever find our sizes and want custom fabric selection this is a good way to go.

**Other Hoodlum note - when that film was shot in Chicago the costume designers went in an old, non-descript west side hat store looking for vintage-type hats. The owner said he thought there may be some "in back." "In back" held thirty-plus NOS '30's Borsalinos. Oh, had I known...

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Paul Chang Prices

Harry, could you clarify prices ranges on garments that he has made for you, also quality, turnarond time etc. See him listed in Chicago, but does not appear to have a web site??? Peter :cool:

PS Posting some pics of your outfits bu HIM would help!

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
My Worst Fears Confirmed TOO EXPENSIVE!!!

Harry,

I kind of read between the lines on your original post assuming what you have just confirmed. Snooping around I see Mr. Chang has a lot of experiece in professional theatrical costumes, so I dont doubt his quality, just too rich for my blood

Peter :cry:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner