Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peacoat from "Major Coat Company"?

Longplay

Familiar Face
It would seem so, but it's not so. Just about every size 34 I have received the measurements on, has been 19". I have three of them, one vintage and two current issue, and all three measure 19" at the p2p. Same thing for the size 36 pea coats; they don't measure the way we think they should. When we get to the size 38 and up, the p2p becomes standard again. Don't ask me why, as I have answer for it.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like at the lower end isn't an exact science. That's the only reason I can be glad not to fit into a small size!

Here's another coat that looks pretty good but still has some odd numbers. The seller gives the measurements as below and he's confirmed them in answer to a query (P2P of 21).

"Measurements....the length is 32 1/2 inches...the sleeves measure 26 inches from the shoulder seam...shoulder seam to shoulder seam, across the top, is 18 inches....armpit to armpit, across the chest, doubled, is just barely 42 inches."

The chest width seems correct for the size 40 on the tag but that shoulder width of 18 seems small, being the same as my old, too-small 70s model. Does that measurement seem off? Should that measurement be larger on a true 40? This seller doesn't permit returns so if this one didn't fit, I'd have to sell it myself.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
The problem with measuring the "shoulder width" is that we don't know where he measured the shoulder. I have two size 40 peacoats. Found one two weeks ago I didn't know I had. In a little while I will measure the shoulders to see if I come up with 18". I would do it now, except I will need to use the bed and it is still occupied (rainy morning here).

I wouldn't be too concerned about he shoulder width as they are proportioned according to the tag size (p2p). Unless one is exceptionally large or small through the shoulders, the coat should fit in that area.

One thing I don't like about his measurements is that he took the p2p and then doubled it to get the chest size, so we don't know the actual p2p measurement. We just know it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 21". I hate to be so pedantic, but I want the exact p2p so I will know how the coat fits in the chest. If a seller is off by 1/2" in the p2p, that means the chest size is off by a full inch. To me that means the difference between a coat that gives a nice trim fit and one that doesn't. Or one that comfortably allows a sweater to be worn and one that doesn't.

Longplay

Familiar Face
The problem with measuring the "shoulder width" is that we don't know where he measured the shoulder. I have two size 40 peacoats. Found one two weeks ago I didn't know I had. In a little while I will measure the shoulders to see if I come up with 18". I would do it now, except I will need to use the bed and it is still occupied (rainy morning here).

I wouldn't be too concerned about he shoulder width as they are proportioned according to the tag size (p2p). Unless one is exceptionally large or small through the shoulders, the coat should fit in that area.

One thing I don't like about his measurements is that he took the p2p and then doubled it to get the chest size, so we don't know the actual p2p measurement. We just know it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 21". I hate to be so pedantic, but I want the exact p2p so I will know how the coat fits in the chest. If a seller is off by 1/2" in the p2p, that means the chest size is off by a full inch. To me that means the difference between a coat that gives a nice trim fit and one that doesn't. Or one that comfortably allows a sweater to be worn and one that doesn't.

In response to a question I posed, the seller said the P2P as I asked him to measure it was 21.

Peacoat

Bartender
With a 21" p2p, that coat will be a trim size 40. Both of my size 40 peacoats measure exactly 21.5" p2p. I have a 42" chest, and they give a trim fit without being tight. I'm not able to comfortably wear a sweater under the size 40s, but need to wear a 42 when I wear a sweater. That's why we need at least two peacoats, one a size smaller than the other.

The shoulder measurement of 18" that he gave you is proportionate to a size 42. One of mine measured a little bit less and the other measured a little bit more.

Longplay

Familiar Face
With a 21" p2p, that coat will be a trim size 40. Both of my size 40 peacoats measure exactly 21.5" p2p. I have a 42" chest, and they give a trim fit without being tight. I'm not able to comfortably wear a sweater under the size 40s, but need to wear a 42 when I wear a sweater. That's why we need at least two peacoats, one a size smaller than the other.

The shoulder measurement of 18" that he gave you is proportionate to a size 42. One of mine measured a little bit less and the other measured a little bit more.

I'm in a tough position in that my chest measurement is 41 - right in between. I have suit jackets and overcoats in both 40 and 42, and so much of that depends on the make and source that I guess it doesn't really tell one much. The overcoats all have P2P measurements of 23" but I suppose those are cut in a quite different manner than peacoats.

I was swimming in the one 42 peacoat I tried (P2P of 22.5 - picture while wearing sweater on page 8 of this thread) so I guess I need to try a 40. I am losing weight and I suppose getting a slightly tighter coat would be an incentive to keep at it.

Last edited:

Longplay

Familiar Face
Success! The third time was the charm. The eBay-purchased 1949 40R fits great, is in gorgeous condition, and the price was definitely right! I'll get some photos up soon. Thanks to all for the education, encouragement, and advice.

Longplay

Familiar Face
Here's a shot showing the fit while wearing a sweater. Despite the seller saying the P2P was 21", I measure it 21.5 and perhaps 21.75". The sleeves may be a bit long but the good thing about their length is that your gloves stay inside even when your arms are extended. The gold (light brown?) corduroy pocket lining is very comfortable.

This arrived just in time to keep me warm as Chicago temps drop below zero once again. Now what I'd like to find is a navy issue watch cap and sweater like I used to have. The only dark blue ones I can find are of a fuzzy material and too long, such that the turned-up bottom is far too high. Are these issued any more?

1949Peacoat40R.jpg

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
That is the reason I stress the importance of the seller taking an accurate p2p measurement. A p2p measurement that is off by 3/4" makes the chest 1 1/2" larger than expected. You have enough room for a thick sweater, which you will need in the Chicago area. I like my sleeves longer than shorter, but if you want to shorten them a bit, it is a simple procedure. Congratulations on finding a great old coat.

military 001.jpg military 002.jpg military 004.jpg

Hi Folks

I came across this fabulous Air Force Over Coat today.. Could someone take a stab at the circa date for me, based off the label?
Thank you one and all.
Best regards.
CCJ

It could be a '64? That coat looks like a tailor made it for you. Beautiful coat.

Thank you for your reply and great comment.
Peacoat and Atticus Fitch advised as to the circa date, also the 64 is stated on the label.
It fits me a bit tight, I could squeeze a waistcoat under her however no blazer or heavy sweater.
I really like it and the price was a steal.
Best regards
CCJ

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Don't see this too often...vintage military outerwear in size 50. I just picked this up on eBay for the opening bid. If I interpret the tag correctly, its a 1965 edition. According to the seller, it has corduroy pockets and I'm guessing its made of Kersey wool. It'll be interesting to see what shows up. I've never seen a vintage peacoat in size 50 but that is surely what the tag says...and it seemed like a good risk for $49.

Here are two of the seller's photos.

peacoat_zpsc9b2a2d5.jpg

peacoattag_zps1559092b.jpg

AF

Peacoat

Bartender
A great find. There were probably 10 size 50 pea coats made in 1965, and you got one. Yes, it has corduroy pockets and is made of that nice Kersey wool. Congratulations.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
Don't see this too often...vintage military outerwear in size 50. I just picked this up on eBay for the opening bid. If I interpret the tag correctly, its a 1965 edition. According to the seller, it has corduroy pockets and I'm guessing its made of Kersey wool. It'll be interesting to see what shows up. I've never seen a vintage peacoat in size 50 but that is surely what the tag says...and it seemed like a good risk for $49.

Here are two of the seller's photos.

peacoat_zpsc9b2a2d5.jpg

peacoattag_zps1559092b.jpg

AF

I wouldn't have thought that they even made 50s back then. It's the first Kersey coat I have seen in size 50. I've seen them in the more modern Melton coats - even a size 52. 48s are quite rare also, but I have seen a few in the last few years on ebay. I haven't seen any L(Long) sizes in Kerseys that were any older then 1969 as I have two of them. I'm still wondering what year they started making Kerseys in L (Long) sizes? My two fantasy coats would be a 1949 46 Long, and a 1958 46 Long. If they exist I'm sure there are only a few around.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Its interesting that some vintage military outerwear did come in size 50. A-2 jackets, for example, came in size 50 and perhaps even in size 52. I believe that older deck jackets also came in size 50...I know that Vietnam era A-2 Deck Jackets came in size XXL (48-50). I believe that the largest G-1 was only size 48, though. And I've never seen a MA-1 tagged any larger than XL...but some of those XLs are pretty big. Like MA-1s, L-2bs were never larger than XL...but XL L-2bs typically wear like larges.

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
My new old peacoat arrived today. It is in very good condition and only needed to be rolled with a lint roller to clean up very nicely. It has corduroy pocket liners and is a size 50…at least. It is a tad large on me, but I'm not complaining. I can wear a sweater under it when we go to Wisconsin.

AF

Peacoat

Bartender
Good deal; glad it worked out for you.

Would you be so kind as to post the p2p on your size 50 peacoat? To take an accurate measurement on a peacoat, lay it out flat with the buttons all buttoned, stretch it from the front side and the back side to ensure the amount of fabric is even both front and back, let it relax and take the measurement. Disregard the seams. Try to get it within 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch.

I am interested to see how they are fitted. A size 50 is a rare beast.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy