Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peacoats from the world...

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The Canadian Navy one seems like a pretty civilian design to me, even though it's an issue piece. "Trendy" (circa late '60s) for lack of a better word.

That Swedish pea coat is one of the best fitting jackets I've ever found. Unfortunately, the wear it had when it came to me combined with me wearing it all the time has near about killed it. All the buttonholes have worn out, the pocketbags have worn through, the lining's coming out/wearing through and a few of the seams are going. I need to start looking for another one, maybe a bit less worn to begin with.

Japanese Navy peacoat

U-176.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
Good find Brunswick. We now have pictures of pea coats from many major countries, save one--Great Britain. Surely you Brits can find a picture of your peacoat. That's sorta where it all started for us here in the US. I'm really interested to see what they have evolved into over the years, and how closely they resemble our current pea coats.

Biopro

Familiar Face
Hi, I'm a newbie and a Brit. I have asked a friend who is in the Royal Navy if he can get an answer, but I think he is away at sea and may be a while before I get a rely.

Peacoat

Bartender
Hi, I'm a newbie and a Brit. I have asked a friend who is in the Royal Navy if he can get an answer, but I think he is away at sea and may be a while before I get a rely.

Welcome to the forum. If you can pin this down, you will be a hero. Maybe we don't know about the RN pea coats because the sailors are always at sea?

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
I just want to say thanks to everyone for reviving the thread and expanding our knowledge!! :)
PS
It's me, or does the japanese coat seem to have a pocket on the chest, left side? Interesting...

Peacoat

Bartender
Looks like there might be a hand warmer pocket there, but it could be as a result of the fold and the way the light hits it.

I'm still waiting for the RN peacoat; it is proving to be most elusive.

North Vietnamese Peacoat? You would think the South China Sea would be too warm for wool. Looks like the Soviet Peacoat. I supposed it might have been manufactured in Russia.

That peacoat is East German which greatly resembles the Kriegsmarine pattern. NVA also stood for National Volks Armee (National People's Army), as the East German army was known.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Hi all ,just wondering if you chaps would find this coat interesting . My older brother was on the subs out of Hartford and served on a gold crew nuke sub .

This coat he outgrew but it fits me well,
If my memory serves me well I think it was mid to late 60's .

The jacket is so warm and as you can see in the second picture, the collar comes right up to my hat brim so no wind down your neck .

All the Best, Fashion Frank

DSCN1245.jpg

DSCN1243.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
Hard to tell from the photographs, but I believe that is a post 1966 peacoat. During that time period the Polaris type was the Navy's major nuclear submarine. The gold crew would spend roughly half their time on patrol wearing patrol coveralls, or on the tender wearing a working uniform, so I imagine your brother's coat got very little wear during his time in the Navy. Protect it from moths, and it will still be keeping your grandchildren warm 50 years from now.

Peacoat

Bartender
I wonder if that is anything close to the current UK peacoat? Looks to be quite a bit longer than the US version.

Cool lining. Does the lining add warmth to the coat? Looks as though it is a soft material that would trap warmth close to the body. The US peacoat has a "hard" rayon type lining that does nothing to trap body heat.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks D-Man. The Canadians certainly know how to make a warm coat. I would love to have that lining in one of my pea coats, for really cold weather.

Any leads on the UK peacoat? I just can't imagine why it is proving to be so difficult to get a picture. We have plenty of UK members on this board. Several have responded they will be on the look out for one. This is proving to be sorta like the hunt for the Sasquatch--a lot of people think they have seen one, but no one has any objective evidence.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I bought this Russian or Ukrainian pea jacket recently. One of the shoulder pads is not right, which is probably why it is barely used, but that can be sorted out when I find a good repair tailor to replace one who retired. Really nice pea jacket and unlike anything we see around these parts. It's kind of crude in the details, but it's also extremely robust and tough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran