Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peaky Blinders

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The new series started tonight.

It's odd: I enjoy watching it but, at the same time, it really annoys me. In episode 1 there's a London nightclub scene that irritated me, it was too over the top and the fight scene was just ridiculous.

simonc

Practically Family
Each to their own, I liked the establishing shot of the club scene, suddenly energy into something quite slow moving.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i watched the first episode tonight, and will probably watch the whole new series as i like the overall aesthetic of it, but i'm so fed up of the whole brooding male violence thing.

(yes i get it by now: you want to muscle in on someone else's territory and things will turn violent soon. and someone will get beaten to a pulp. do script writers think men did anything else in the 20s except be gangsters ? do script writers have any other ideas about how to write 'drama' without it involving the omnipresent threat of violence ?)

i realise i'm in the minority on this. i mentioned similar misgivings about Boardwalk Empire and it was met with silence.

give me Harold Lloyd any day.

Metatron

One Too Many
I agree. Well, I think the same every time a well trodden theme is revisited instead of something neglected and forgotten.
do these series project some kind of male pining for primitive territorial ape faeces throwing while stuck, alienated in a sanitized dystopia? ;)

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
And the notion that three out of town gangsters could walk into a nightclub operated by, and filled with, members of a London gang and their associates, take them on and win the fight is just ridiculous. Annoyingly laughable. In the 1920s a nightclub with people openly having sex and taking cocaine would have had rather strict door controls - I doubt the Shelby family would have got past the doormen.

But it looks good.

HBK: I too get frustrated by portrayals of males in period drama. How many more times do we have to see men portrayed in a negative light. Where are all the good men? The normal men who work hard, don't beat their wife and are tolerant of all races, creeds and colours. To see the way men are portrayed in British period drama, you'd think they weren't massively influential in dragging the country forward through the middle part of the 20th century.

One final moan. The gypsy mysticism angle really grates on me.

But I'll keep watching it.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
erage2e2.jpg

usyvy7up.jpg

Not a fan of the caps should get Johnny J to make a good one. The front of the caps are all wrong.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I had wondered about the eight piece caps. Maybe they are just the acceptable look for a villain.

If I remember correctly, when the first series was shown there were photos in the press of young criminals of the period. They were wearing the smaller cap, without drape, but the photos had been taken in about 1905.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
If I remember correctly, when the first series was shown there were photos in the press of young criminals of the period. They were wearing the smaller cap, without drape, but the photos had been taken in about 1905.

yes, that photo is on page 1 of this thread. i don't mean to imply that ALL caps would have been really wide in 1918. there would have been a variety of sizes available. but a few wide ones might have been nice to include. the droopiness bothers me more than the width (as the actress said...).

simonc

Practically Family
The show is called "Peaky Blinders" and is based on the real life and times of a Brummie gang called the Peaky Blinders (having razors in their cap peaks to slash and blind their enemy with) written by their great grandson, who owns the rights to the show. I guess all the elements you detest are sadly going to be in there. But bear in mind who and what this is about. "All creatures great and small" this is not. Aside from that I think the lighting is well done, the colour grading is of interest to me. The art direction 6/10. The use of Nick Caves track is sloppy. But for me the greatest sign is that international viewers are taking interest in the show and perhaps we can roll out a few more quality dramas particularly with the locations at our fingertips, the skill and talent of crews at Pinewood and Shepparton studios largely sitting on their hands. I would HBO a **** tonne of period series. But right now I'm looking at 1920's raincoats. Moving on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran