Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pear shape body...

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
Hello ladies! I've got a pear shape body, and sometimes I hate my big hips lol...!! So I have a question for you mesdames, do you think it's pretty? How do you hide it? Do you assume it?? Do you think that men love it?? I have to say that it's a complex for me... So I'd love to hear what you think!!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I have a pear shape also. It's really hard for me to find things that look flattering. A Line Shirts and dresses are nice. I can wear alot of empire waist tops. And I love the highwaist wide leg pants. I almost always wear heels to create a long lean silhouette. I do have a few pencil skirts and dress also. You can get away with it if the fit is right.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
pennycarrol said:
Hello ladies! I've got a pear shape body, and sometimes I hate my big hips lol...!! So I have a question for you mesdames, do you think it's pretty? How do you hide it? Do you assume it?? Do you think that men love it?? I have to say that it's a complex for me... So I'd love to hear what you think!!

I think it can be pretty, but it's really a matter of how the lady carries herself.

I wouldn't try to *hide* it per se, but if you have a slender waist, use your hips to play up your waist! This can be done be belting a wiggle style dress. It can also be done by wearing the full-skirted 50's styles, which doubles as a way to mask a bottom-heavy figure. It's always hard to say, though, without really knowing what your figure is like.

I am not pear-shaped per se, but I do have hips and a curvy figure. A lot of that is because of the athletic posterior I have from the roller skating I do, so I do play that up. I don't really think there's any reason to hide any part of your figure. Rather, you should find what looks good on you and wear it proudly!

I do not care whether or not men love it. They all have their own preferences, and if they love it, great, and if not, that's their problem :)

deelovely

Practically Family
KittyT said:
I think it can be pretty, but it's really a matter of how the lady carries herself.
I wouldn't try to *hide* it per se, but if you have a slender waist, use your hips to play up your waist! This can be done be belting a wiggle style dress. It can also be done by wearing the full-skirted 50's styles, which doubles as a way to mask a bottom-heavy figure. It's always hard to say, though, without really knowing what your figure is like.
I don't really think there's any reason to hide any part of your figure. Rather, you should find what looks good on you and wear it proudly!
I do not care whether or not men love it. They all have their own preferences, and if they love it, great, and if not, that's their problem :)
VERY well said KittyT!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :D

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I too have a pear shaped body and I will be the first to admit I hate it. I tend to wear skirts that flare out a bit so that the skirt doesn't cling to my body and show my gross buldges. But alas I don't always take that into concideration and walk out the door in an outfit only to later cry, "What was I thinking?!?!" Surprisingly it isn't the outfits you'd THINK I'd do that in though! Hahahaha

As for the men... I find that it's the blokes that I don't care for are attracted to my big butt and the chaps I fancy want stick thin broads. Ah well... I can't win.

Hows that for a pep talk! Yay! I did good!! lol

anabolina

A-List Customer
Yep, another pear shaped type here. I suppose this is one of the most populat body types nowadays. I like my shape, I may miss for fewer inches in certain places, but I like the proportions of my body. I love circle and a line skirts, but I also like pencil skirts. Sometimes it's fun to show off all those curves. :) I do avoid empire waisted tops since they make me look pregnant and while that may or may not be a good thing, I have received comments asking when i'm due when I wear them and that makes me feel sort of self concious. I love wrap tops for myself.

And you are so right Lolitahaze, I've been told a lot that I have a black girl's butt and while that's nice, its always from the guys I don't want. :(

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
LolitaHaze said:
As for the men... I find that it's the blokes that I don't care for are attracted to my big butt and the chaps I fancy want stick thin broads. Ah well... I can't win.

Hows that for a pep talk! Yay! I did good!! lol

I have this same problem. I also find that the men who do find this attractive are not usually tactful. That's what makes me dislike my figure.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Yeah... they aren't very tactful about expressing their approval, but that isn't what makes me not like my figure... but it sure doesn't help.

deadpandiva said:
I have this same problem. I also find that the men who do find this attractive are not usually tactful. That's what makes me dislike my figure.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
All body types have their advantages and disadvantages, I can see beauty in both pear and hour-glass shapes. And all body types can look good and proportioned in the proper clothing, so just enjoy what you have and enjoy that a certain type of clothes suits you amazingly.

What I think about often is how my body will age. I am very proportioned today, at the age of 22, but what will I look like in 20-30-40 years? Apple shaped, I guess, especially if I have kids...

The Shirt

Practically Family
My name is Jennifer and I'm a pear.

I don't really mind my hippiness in dresses. It does get frustrating to see those wonderful wiggle dresses then look at the proportions and think "No way!" I have resolved that I look great it circle skirts and a-lines. I'm much smaller on top with a decent rack (as I've been told) so I think one can camoflauge it. Surprisingly I get lots of compliments when I wear a tight pencil skirt - which I never feel completely comfortable in - but am learning to try.

I have to say that I struggle with pant looks that I feel attractive in. Jeans are tough and I try and pair them with something that draws the eye upwards to my neckline or chest. I am happy that wide leg trousers seem to be coming back. I haven't tried much of the high waisted type as I'm scared of the "mom butt". What pant fits do you ladies like?

I suppose I "own it" in a dress and I cringe in pants. These days even a compliment from a scary fellow is a compliment from a stranger nonetheless. (I'm feeling old today)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I used to have a size 6 top and size 8 bottom. Then I went on Body for Life and had to get rid of my pants and have my skirts taken in. But then I had an injury and illness a year ago that made it hard for me to exercise and eat right and I'm now trying to work off enough butt and waist to get back into some of my skirts.

As for whether I liked being kind of a pear shape, I just wanted to be more toned.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I`m a pear as well, but I am not widest at the but. (Which I would love.) No, my widest point is a little down on my thights, hence the Norwegian term "Ridebukselår" which translates to "Riding Pants Thigts."
occupationsuniformsm14.jpg

Visual aid 1:One of the most common female body-types is named after this pants.

And I do not love it, but I am comfortable with it. I like circle skirts and such, but I also dare the tight-fitting pencil shape. I have found that the only one that thinks I look bulky in those are me, everyone else think I look great.

I comfort myself knowing that I have what I like to call a Real Life Womans Body. What I mean is, I look natural and healthy the way many, many woman look if they don't stress with diets and body-toning all the time. I would rather eat that big steak and live in my body as it is, than to lead the awfull life-regiment that is needed to look like Angelina Jolie!

I also know that when I am really, really old, wrinkeled and saggy, I will probably look at pictures of me now and think: "Hey, I looked really nice back then, not like now..." And I don't want to also say "Why did I not feel good then, why did I not wear pencil skirts/bikinis etc." So I just wear what I like, so I don`t have to regret anything.

lyburnum

Practically Family
I hate my figure because I have stick thin legs, tiny waist, small bust, and big thighs and a big butt. I feel so disproportionate and get so envious of girls that have smaller bums and thighs. I feel like I'm wearing saddle bags most of time. Plus, if I put even the teeniest bit of weight on, it goes straight onto by thighs and bum - as if I didn't have enough there already! As a result, I love love love my circle, a-line and flared skirts, but no pencil skirts for me unless I'm feeling very daring.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I have found that skirts with higher/natural waists (pencil or A Line) do amazing things for my rear even if they are not so flattering on the thighs.

anabolina

A-List Customer
The Shirt said:
My name is Jennifer and I'm a pear.

I don't really mind my hippiness in dresses. It does get frustrating to see those wonderful wiggle dresses then look at the proportions and think "No way!" I have resolved that I look great it circle skirts and a-lines. I'm much smaller on top with a decent rack (as I've been told) so I think one can camoflauge it. Surprisingly I get lots of compliments when I wear a tight pencil skirt - which I never feel completely comfortable in - but am learning to try.

I have to say that I struggle with pant looks that I feel attractive in. Jeans are tough and I try and pair them with something that draws the eye upwards to my neckline or chest. I am happy that wide leg trousers seem to be coming back. I haven't tried much of the high waisted type as I'm scared of the "mom butt". What pant fits do you ladies like?

I suppose I "own it" in a dress and I cringe in pants. These days even a compliment from a scary fellow is a compliment from a stranger nonetheless. (I'm feeling old today)

I try on a lot of jeans and pants before I find one that fits right. I picked up a pair of Lee jeans at Ross that do wonders for my butt and make me look so much slimmer. I also picked up some Lucky jeans and the same time that I also love, but not as much since the Lee ones have some stretch and feel seriously comfy. For normal slacks, I love a pair of wide legs, but I have to be careful not to get too wide a leg or I can look short and stumpy despite not being short.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
I hate wearing pants, I think that my hips looks bigger in those!!I always have high waisted skirt... I can't bear my pear shape!! But I try everyday to accept my body... It sounds dumb, but it's very hard to do it!! It makes me happy to see so many pears lol!! YAY!!

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
When it comes to pants, high waisted is the way to go! Hipster pants is a devilish design made to make everyone that is not stick-thin look awfull. Grrrrrr. I really hate hipster pants!:rage:

I have never owned a more comfortable or flattering pair of pants than my vintage wide-legged high-waisted genuine sailor pants. Keep an eye out for them on e-bay, there are many out there. They are super-flattering for the pear-shape and, since the rest of the world seems to have finally come to their senses this season, they are ultra-trendy too!

And yes, PennyCarol, it is hard for us real-looking woman to love our bodies now a days. We are bombarded every day with images of how we are "supposed" to look, so we would have to have super-human self esteems not to feel that. I think of it this way: Intead of spending countless hours at a gym trying to shape my body to something it is not, I spend a little less hours in a work-out regime for my mind: I work mentally very hard at my self esteem, trying to like myself as I am. In the end, it is not as exhausting as a physical work-out regime would have to be if I wanted to really change my body, and I get to eat great food to!

deelovely

Practically Family
Well if it is helping you then I will go ahead and announce that I am a pear as well...:eusa_doh: A big 'ol pear... :cry: and I am not really comfortable with the fact.:rolleyes:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Helen Troy said:
I comfort myself knowing that I have what I like to call a Real Life Womans Body. What I mean is, I look natural and healthy the way many, many woman look if they don't stress with diets and body-toning all the time. I would rather eat that big steak and live in my body as it is, than to lead the awfull life-regiment that is needed to look like Angelina Jolie!

If a woman doesn't want a pear shape, she can be lean and toned without starving herself or running herself ragged. I've said it before, but I really like Body for Life: you work out three hours a week and eat six small meals a day. I feel great on it. It also allows one free day a week where you eat anything you want. That's the day when I end up feeling stuffed and lethargic.

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
I'm quite pear like aswell (measurements 35/24/39), but I actually quite like it! As was said before, playing up your waist is the key for me, I very often wear tight pencil skirts & this is when I get the most compliments on my figure. As for what men think, I've never had one complain yet! If you need any evidence of how much men like big hips/bums just think of Beyonce & J-Lo, they're both pear-shaped!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24