Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pear shape body...

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Pear shaped is the most common female body shape, so take comfort that your in good company. As a pear shape, and not a stick thin one at ALL. I always freaked about my larger bottom half, until a completely tactless guy let it slip that he and a few blokes actually went through the girls in our school and RATED them on how they looked,(1-10) I got a 5, because they thought I was a Witch (lol, needless to say, to boys like that I usually AM) but They liked me appearance BECAUSE I had a large bum. This in mind some girlfriends and I went about asking guys what part of a lady they liked better, chest or bum, the majority liked the lower half. Play it up. However if you really want to hide it, I find that loose flowing skirts are wonderful, not to mention incredibly feminine, which always makes a guy look twice at a girl.

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
OPINIONS!

Ladies, what era of clothing do you think looks best on a rather large pear shape, 30s,40s (wartime clothes), or 50s? I would like several opinions. I know there were women of all shapes and sizes in every time period, but I would like opinions,feedback from you all.
Sarah

live vintageous

Familiar Face
PolkaDotMeggie said:
I was so tickled pink with the picture that was posted of Marilyn Monroe. I feel so much happier about myself after seeing that! I always thought that the little bumb I had was horrible. It would never seem to go away, so matter how much I tried... but now I want to embrace it. It even convinced me to change my avatar.

Who is your avatar of, Meggie? I've been dying to ask you for some time...
:)

live vintageous

Familiar Face
newtovintage said:
Ladies, what era of clothing do you think looks best on a rather large pear shape, 30s,40s (wartime clothes), or 50s? I would like several opinions. I know there were women of all shapes and sizes in every time period, but I would like opinions,feedback from you all.
Sarah

Vintage is fabulous for this!

A pear shape could wear many of the styles from any of those eras. Though, the 40s and 50s might be most flattering and most forgiving, especially with the emphasis many of the styles placed on the shoulders. This would add some width and shape to the shoulders, which would balance the figure and help de-emphasize the hips.

The 30s are okay, but it seems there was a carry-over from the 20's, with the emphasis being a slim waist and hips (so it was one long line). I think some of the period's styles might not be as versatile nor quite as flattering on pear shapes as later periods. (Someone correct me if I'm mistaken about the 30s fashions!)

If it weren't for my wide shoulders, I'd definitely be a pear - flat chest, wide hips, and alll. For myself, I'm not sure if I could get away with wearing styles from the 20s and 30s either --though I utterly adore those eras and their clothing.

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
The reason I wanted some opinions is that I have found several patterns from both the 40s and 50s that are in my size, but really need to know what era to go with. In your opinions, ladies, which looks better? Please, I need others' opinions, since I have such a hard time making up my mind.
Sarah

Sunny

One Too Many
newtovintage said:
The reason I wanted some opinions is that I have found several patterns from both the 40s and 50s that are in my size, but really need to know what era to go with. In your opinions, ladies, which looks better? Please, I need others' opinions, since I have such a hard time making up my mind.
Sarah
I'm biased because I like earlier decades better. But still, I think 40s is better. I'm an hourglass/pear, and most full-skirted 50s styles make me look very unflatteringly wide below the waist. 40s, whether short, sporty wartime 40s or later drapey 40s, minimizes the hips while still having good waist definition. Just skip both peplums and hip draping!

I think 30s can work for pear shapes, too. You're right, it's definitely a slim-hip period. But when the garment is fitted to your body it IS a very slimming look. There aren't any gathers or peplums or big skirts that add width, and there are plenty of interesting construction details like long seams and low pleats that are visually slimming. They weren't all Hipless Wonders back then, either. While wide shoulders didn't come around until the very late 30s, they had loose-fitting bodices with long draped collars/jabots and big draped sleeves that visually add volume above the waist, right where pears need it. As with all dressmaking, choose the right pattern for you.

pigeon toe, IMO it comes down to proportion. The reason I avoid peplums is because they throw off my proportions just that little bit too much. It's very much a subjective judgment (as most clothing decisions are, really!), and it may vary from garment to garment. I look in the mirror at me wearing a peplum and I see Whoa, those are wide hips! It's not a hypercritical judgment; it's a knee-jerk reaction since I'm kind of sensitive to proportions. If you like wearing peplums, I doubt they're throwing your proportions off enough to matter. ;) If you're concerned, maybe try to make sure you've got enough shoulder definition to balance.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh PT, youre cute enough to wear anything! :)

I avoid peplums because I *cough* have shelf butt *cough*. I dont have a gradual incline from my rump to my lower back, so not only would the peplum just stand out, it would have a place to sit and stand out on lol

Its the same reason I avoid jabot necklines. I have enough bust, I dont need it to look like its standing out even more!

But I totally agree with Sunny's great explanation of 30s and 40s skirts. Its that slim cut along the hips that reduces the 'look' of fuller hips, not huge puffy skirts. More fabric does not always hide what you want it to.

LD

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
I have another question. I was looking through my 1943 sewing book and decided to retake my measurements, the way they did then. I also measured my shoulder-span. Anyhow my measurements are 40 1/2 across shoulders, 41 bust, 35 waist (though I like an inch extra for breathability), and 49 hips. Now as to my question, would I still be a pear shape or more of an hourglass?
Sarah

live vintageous

Familiar Face
When you measured shoulder span, did you measure all the way around, or just across the front half of your body? Sorry to ask, but I'm no exactly sure how one meaures shoulder span.

I always thought I was a pear because I have a small bust. But when I measure my shoulders (I measured all the way around my shoulders, just like measuring your hips), it is within two inches of my hips. Suddenly it dawned on me: I am an hourglass. Bone structure plays a big part in proportion, as much as muscle and curves play a part, I think. Anyway, just a thought.

live vintageous

Familiar Face
Sunny said:
I'm biased because I like earlier decades better. But still, I think 40s is better. I'm an hourglass/pear, and most full-skirted 50s styles make me look very unflatteringly wide below the waist. 40s, whether short, sporty wartime 40s or later drapey 40s, minimizes the hips while still having good waist definition. Just skip both peplums and hip draping!

I think 30s can work for pear shapes, too. You're right, it's definitely a slim-hip period. But when the garment is fitted to your body it IS a very slimming look. There aren't any gathers or peplums or big skirts that add width, and there are plenty of interesting construction details like long seams and low pleats that are visually slimming. They weren't all Hipless Wonders back then, either. While wide shoulders didn't come around until the very late 30s, they had loose-fitting bodices with long draped collars/jabots and big draped sleeves that visually add volume above the waist, right where pears need it. As with all dressmaking, choose the right pattern for you.

pigeon toe, IMO it comes down to proportion. The reason I avoid peplums is because they throw off my proportions just that little bit too much. It's very much a subjective judgment (as most clothing decisions are, really!), and it may vary from garment to garment. I look in the mirror at me wearing a peplum and I see Whoa, those are wide hips! It's not a hypercritical judgment; it's a knee-jerk reaction since I'm kind of sensitive to proportions. If you like wearing peplums, I doubt they're throwing your proportions off enough to matter. ;) If you're concerned, maybe try to make sure you've got enough shoulder definition to balance.

I'm taking notes, Sunny! Fabulous advice, especially about '30s styles. You gave the same figure-flattering advice I keep seeing and hearing on What Not to Wear. It's really very true.

I just finished sewing my first 1940s blouse and it has a floaty back peplum. But is smooth and flat in the front and it ends at mid-hip, which may might make a difference. I'm going to try it out as a dress and see if it's still flattering. I have very strong shoulders, so it was king of fun to play with a peplum. However, I admit to feeling like my hips are "out there" when I wear it.

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
live vintageous said:
When you measured shoulder span, did you measure all the way around, or just across the front half of your body? Sorry to ask, but I'm no exactly sure how one meaures shoulder span.

I always thought I was a pear because I have a small bust. But when I measure my shoulders (I measured all the way around my shoulders, just like measuring your hips), it is within two inches of my hips. Suddenly it dawned on me: I am an hourglass. Bone structure plays a big part in proportion, as much as muscle and curves play a part, I think. Anyway, just a thought.

I measured my shoulder span like I would measure my hips, all the way around.

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
more important than the specific year, is the dress itself, I feel. Full skirts and fitted tops tend to flatter pear shapes (I should know, I am one)

MissHannah

One Too Many
I'm really horrified looking at some of the measurements mentioned here that people are considering as 'large' - 35 inch hips large?!!! Are you crazy?! I'm currently 34-25-37 and I still consider myself pretty skinny and get called skinny by other women all the time! But I am so happy to be this size - as a teenager I was 30-21-31 and I HATED my body so much I often couldn't leave the house. I know I won't be alone in having felt that way - regardless of the size.

I love the size I am now and I am SO grateful to feel contented with my size - it is the most liberating feeling. We all pick ourselves to pieces comparing ourselves to a level of perfection shown in magazines that is mostly achieved through Photoshop (I work in the industry so I know!). You all sound like you have fabulous figures judging by the numbers being thrown around here and I hope you can learn to accept and love yourselves exactly as you are - REAL HUMAN BEINGS! Whether you are skinny, pear-shaped, large, curvy, short, lanky or a combination of any of the above you deserve to have the chance to feel beautiful, regardless of cultural fads and fashions.

And never forget that you all have one fabulous thing in common - style :)

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
I love the size I am now and I am SO grateful to feel contented with my size - it is the most liberating feeling. We all pick ourselves to pieces comparing ourselves to a level of perfection shown in magazines that is mostly achieved through Photoshop (I work in the industry so I know!). You all sound like you have fabulous figures judging by the numbers being thrown around here and I hope you can learn to accept and love yourselves exactly as you are - REAL HUMAN BEINGS! Whether you are skinny, pear-shaped, large, curvy, short, lanky or a combination of any of the above you deserve to have the chance to feel beautiful, regardless of cultural fads and fashions.

And never forget that you all have one fabulous thing in common - style :)

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Anachronism said:
more important than the specific year, is the dress itself, I feel.

Quite correct. You can get a rough idea of what era suits you best, but that doesn't mean every design from that era will work for you.

Full skirts and fitted tops tend to flatter pear shapes (I should know, I am one)

This depends on the person. If I wear a top that's too fitted with a skirt that's too full, it doesn't always look good at all - instead, it really emphasizes the triangle shape! Fitted tops are OK, but I find that slimmer (not pencil-slim, but gentle A-line slim) skirts work well for me. Also good: trumpet shapes that skim the hips and gently flare around the hem. And the tops, if they're fitted, should ideally have some sort of shoulder/bodice interest to draw the eye up.

KittyVonKirsche

Familiar Face
I have an hourglass figure as i have a large bust line, (relatively) small waist and big hips and butt but i also have small shoulders and a BIG belly so I find the fifties tight tops and full skirts very flattering. Honestly though i love my curves and if i didn't have a big belly id live in wiggle skirts/dresses n tight jeans.
I LOVE my butt n hubby thinks its the bomb. The first time I told him I was going on a diet he was horrified at the thought Id lose my butt lol.

Im also bemused as to what some ladies classify as large.. I should post my measurements... that'll make you all feel positively waif like lol

Sunny

One Too Many
ShoreRoadLady said:
This depends on the person. If I wear a top that's too fitted with a skirt that's too full, it doesn't always look good at all - instead, it really emphasizes the triangle shape! Fitted tops are OK, but I find that slimmer (not pencil-slim, but gentle A-line slim) skirts work well for me. Also good: trumpet shapes that skim the hips and gently flare around the hem. And the tops, if they're fitted, should ideally have some sort of shoulder/bodice interest to draw the eye up.
Ditto that, and I'm not even a true pear. Full skirts can add a lot of width to my lower half. They're comfortable and feel good, but I'm *big* in them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24