Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pearl Harbor 70th anniversary events?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
USS Utah

It's a shame that the ceremony honoring the USS Utah, the forgotten ship at Pearl Harbour is off limits to the public! She is the grave of 54 men still inside at their Duty Stations!

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
Myself and a couple friends will be attending a Pearl Harbor Ceremony held at the 8th Air Force Museum in Pooler, Ga. on Sunday.

I hope I can be in Hawaii for the 75th Anniversary, my grandfather on my mothers side of the family was a survivor of the attack, he was on the USS Oklahoma, and my grandmother on my fathers side had a cousin who died on the USS Arizona.

RHY

One of the Regulars
It's a shame that the ceremony honoring the USS Utah, the forgotten ship at Pearl Harbour is off limits to the public! She is the grave of 54 men still inside at their Duty Stations!

The memorial for the USS Utah is very small and cannot accomdate many people. I do not think there is any regular service that provides the public access to the site.

I heard this on the radio this morning that owing to the toll time has taken on its dwindling ranks that the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association announced that this 70th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor will be their last reunion. An end of an era.

hires_080512-M-1558F-002a.jpg

Last edited:

Steven180

One of the Regulars
I heard this on the radio this morning that owing to the toll time has taken on its dwindling ranks that the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association announced that this 70th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor will be their last reunion. An end of an era.

Amazing. I heard on the radio that only 120 members made this date. Best to all of them. I don't think there is any way we could imagine that day from their perspective.

Rest in Peace to the others.

M

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
I was in Hawaii 2 years ago. A friend of mine was stationed at Pearl, and took me over to the Arizona Memorial, Ford Island, and the old battleship row. The feel of the place really struck me. The old housing, that if I recall correctly, houses current senior Pacific commanders. The streets named after people like Dick O'Kane. The air control tower with bullet holes in it. I wish I'd had time to visit the Missouri and the Bowfin. Next year maybe.

Marcus

A-List Customer
Last weekend I participated in the "Ft Rosecrans Goes to War" event down in San Diego at the old Ft Rosecrans on Point Loma. The premise of the event was bascially December 8 1941. The Fort was on full alert as was the whole West Coast. It was a first time event that my friend set-up and it was very well received by the National Park personnel and the public. I even got to meet a survivor from the 251st CA National Guard that was actually on Oahu that day and was credited with a couple kills from what I read. We had 4 flyovers from the Commemorative Air Force during the weekend as well, which we staged air raid alerts to. Several vehicles and weapons came down from Ft McArthur as well. We are looking to create an actual historical group and do events down there throughout the year, but for sure Pearl Harbor. Fort McArthur, CAF, National Park Service and several reenactors from LA and San Diego came together to make this a really great event.

Here are some photos of the event that surfaced online:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111144936654843930932/FtRosecranzGoesToWarDecember72011#

Last edited:

Story

I'll Lock Up
photograph of three women reportedly fighting fires in the aftermath of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor has been debunked. Katherine Lowe, 96, who is the woman standing second from the right in the picture, says that while the photo is real, it wasn't actually taken on December 7, 1941. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/famous-photo-female-pearl-harbor-firefighters-debunked-204920757.html;_ylt=AhmIwjf2cYajUjjyWrkgyPjtiBIF;_ylu=X3oDMTNqcmdnNGVoBGNjb2RlA2N0LmMEcGtnAzU2Njg0OTkyLTE4ZTAtMzE5ZC1iMTExLWNjNWJkNTdmNDE1ZARwb3MDNARzZWMDbW9zdF9wb3B1bGFyBHZlcgNlM2M3YjNhMC0yNTA3LTExZTEtOGNiZi00NWQzNTYwZjcxNDU-;_ylg=X3oDMTIwdWJsZnJ1BGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lfG9kZG5ld3MEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnMEdGVzdAM-;_ylv=3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner