Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perfect 1930's!

Wild Root

Gone Home
1121235img2yx.jpg

Mycroft

One Too Many
Very Nice, Root. I really like the color, such a normal color, but it looks good on you and with the cut. Also, the fedora, tie, and hankerchef, realy puts you back in time. It reminds me of an Archie Goodwin suit from the Nero Wolfe television program. How much did you pay for it, if I might pry?

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
Hmm..the pants seem a bit short on ya. And I know they wore brown shoes with navy suits...but those seem a bit wrong with the mesh...just my opinion..

Wild Root

Gone Home
Too short??????? :confused: What photo are you looking at? Just because they don't have a real baggy brake don't mean they're too short! They do have a brake KB! They hit the top of the shoe like I like'em. Maybe you should look at YOUR 70's pants first before you point out any thing about my REAL 30's suit.

im0010751tg.jpg

Root.

PS. A 1938 Catalog picture to show you that no brakes doesn't mean it's too short.

image1471dg.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Paddy, I'm glad you like the photos! Thanks so much for the kind words. But, you're going to laugh when I tell you that there is no real trick to folding a handkerchief in that style. All I do is hold it by the middle, shake it a few times upside down, then shove it into the pocket. I have looked at most photos of Big Band leaders and Movie Stars and that's how they did it. It looks cool because it's not really thought out. You pretty much let it do its own thing.

Hope that helps out.

Root.

Hmmm.... Sounds a little complicated. Got any instructions with pictures? :p
I use the same method as Root. No pressing no confusion and it works fine. For the totally inept there is the piece of material stapled to the stiff carstock material that goes in your pocket and you never know the difference. I had one of those when I was a teenager. People used to compliment me on it all the time. :p I never removed it to show how it was done though. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
I had one of those! It came with a suit I bought from AAARDVARK'S vintage clothing. They used to give you one of those when you bought a suit. They even used to give you a vintage tie when you bought a suit!

Root.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
I had one of those! It came with a suit I bought from AAARDVARK'S vintage clothing. They used to give you one of those when you bought a suit. They even used to give you a vintage tie when you bought a suit!

Root.

Really!! That is good marketing, but expensive, are they still in buissness with that marketing plan?

Wild Root said:

I see that I was not the only one. :p This one was from Rogers. It used to be a high end men's wear store downtown here. I didn't get it from there but I found it in one of my father's old suits back then. :p
Gee, there used to be an Ardvarks around here I wonder if it is still around. I guess I will check.

Regards to all,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes Aaardvark's Odd Ark is still very much alive! There are stores all over California! San Fran, Canoga Park, Hollywood, Pasadena, Venus Beach and one in Japan! I think there is one near SanPedro Ca. Yeah JP, check it out! The one up in your area has been known to have some really good stuff. They were throwing in a free tie to entice suit buying. That was like a year ago and I think only a few shops offer a tie with a suit purchase.

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
No, you pick out a tie you like that's with in a price range like 2 bucks to 10 or something. Wouldn't work if they gave away one of their 20 to 40 buck ties becaus you buy a suit.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley