Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perfect 1930's!

Canadave

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
Too short??????? :confused: What photo are you looking at?... Maybe you should look at YOUR 70's pants first before you point out any thing about my REAL 30's suit.

Hey, that was a bit of an overreaction, wasn't it? He was just offering his opinion.

David

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, yes and no. It's a real sore spot with me. I'm 6'3" and I have a hard time finding stuff in tall sizes vintage and new! I have worn stuff that is just a little short and then all of a sudden, the fashion police come out of no where! It is something that I get a lot. And when I wear a suit that fits perfect, they say nothing, I guess nothing is good enough for some people.

Well, I'm friends with KB and he knows that most of my vinegar is just playing around. :p

No big deal.

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
The fact is that in the golden era, most men wore stuff that fit well, (not perfect because there is nothing perfect on this earth) But, suits and shirts that fit ok. The Hollywood crowed wore things a bit more tailored. Suits that were tailored as good as it gets. Now, they weren’t cheap that’s for sure! But, could the average man buy a custom suit even back then?? No, he couldn’t. What if he was a tall man and we know, there were tall men even back then. The largest sized pants in the 1936 Sears Catalog was waist: 38, Inseam: 34. Suits went from 37reg or long to 44reg or long. So, to say the least, not all men had perfect fitting clothes. And I kind of like to show off a little shirt cuff and have pants that hang right at the top of the shoe. It lets one show off a little sock like Matt said.

For some reason, some of us have this delusion that all men wore perfect sized suits back then. Some wore suits longer baggier, and some wore them shorter and tighter. It really was up to the man’s taste. I like things to fit nicely, but it’s not a law with me that I can’t wear something that fits a little tight or a little short. I’m flexible when it comes to vintage. If I’m going to do some serious Jitterbugging, I’m wearing the pants short like most top dancers of the time did. If I’m doing a 20’s or early 30’s look, I wear things a little short and tight to have a great depression look about me.

Looking at real photos of the time really helps I find.

Root.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Not everybody looked like a movie star in their suits back then, you'd find some of the baggier fits too, though the materials were much denser and heavier which ads alot to the drape. The suits were also more comfortable to wear because of the higher cut armholes which allowed more maneuverability.

15-vi.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Do I need to W.R.?

Capital 'C' for Cheese.
I don't know what else to call him...
...just looks like a cheesy pose I guess-
I like his hat but his 'stripes are a little short.
I can excuse pants that are a 'little' too short but
not pinstripes- it just doesn't work visually-
-vertical stripes ending too abruptly-
I like the sweater too, that's just my style-
but maybe not with the 'stripes.

Did I offend your sensibilities Mr. R.?
Is he a relative?

Sorry if so-

BT.

Merlin

Familiar Face
Wild Root said:
Now something to compare it with.

cadillac19304door3md.jpg

Yes, he has a vest, but its the same style suit.

Root.

The only thing left is for you to pick up a Cadillac like the guy in the picture. . . maybe a nice V-16 Town Car or something. Put that one next on the list, Root!
;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Merlin:
the V-16 is on the list but it's only going to be on a list and not in my drive way any time soon. You know where I can find say $100,000 bucks?

BT:
Oh, he looks Cheese to you. Ok, I read that when it was like 2am and I wasn't really with it at that hour. :p I see his pants look a little short, but I think it's the way he's standing that makes the cuffs swing out like that. They probably just hang at the top of the shoe and when he sands like that they make them look a little short. I agree, striped pants should be a little longer because they are more dressy I feel.

Canadave:
I saw that guy with he two tones and yeah, I believe that he just flipped up the cuff once and well, it was a fad from that time that lasted into the 40's. Mostly worn by teens as they danced the Jitterbug. Well, it could also be the grass was wet and he didn't want his cuffs to drag and get stained and wet...
I don't know really.

Zeus36:
Yes most men in the 20's 30's 40's and 50's had cuffed pants. In the years of 42 to 45 cuffs were not as common because the war and the extra fabric wasn't really there to use for cuffs.

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24