Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Personal Heat

Blackjack

One Too Many
Political correctness, that's the phrase that makes me crazy. Smoking is not politically correct, drinking is not, being conservative in your views is not, and most certainly owning a gun is not. From 1776 to 1976 it would probably be hard to find a family in this country where someone did NOT own a gun, all of a sudden we are not capable of being adult enough to own such things, or so they would like us to believe. I was born in 56 so the year I graduated high school they were pulling the boys home from Viet Nam so I never went into the service, but I was raised in a police family and started shooting (responsibly) by the age of ten. By the age of eighteen I shot competitively all over the country. No I never shot anyone, or had anyone shooting at me but I have enjoyed the sport of shooting for most of my life without incident. So for anyone who would ask me why I own a gun I would say "Why DON'T you?" Being that we enjoy the freedom in this country to protect ourselves, hunt, or just punch paper with a firearm why wouldn't you own one?
Me I have a Second generation Colt single action .45 ( my first), a Springfield 1911, a USFA Single Action .45, a .22 auto, a .38 derringer, a Winchester 92, a 12 gauge shotgun, and a Smith model 21, and I enjoy shooting every one of them!

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Not-Bogart13 said:
My wish list... mainly an old police revolver, like they use in all those gangster movies. Smith & Wesson, I think?

The favorite in my arsenal is an old Smith & Wesson Model 10 with a 5" light barrel. I bought it as "new old stock" from a local sporting goods store in the town where I grew up after they discovered it laying on a shelf in the back room. The downside is that I can't push +P rounds through it, but it is deadly accurate, so regular .38 rounds do just fine. The upside is that the bluing is outstanding - almost presentation quality - so that it has a nice black sheen to it. I removed the original wood grips and replaced them with smooth black buffalo horn and the look is terrific.

I recently had it reworked to correct a broken cylinder lock and the gunsmith questioned why I would want to invest in a repair instead of buying new. His opinion changed once he fired it. There's a reason that virtually every law enforcement agency in the U.S. and Canada carried Model 10s at one time or another...they are simply flawless.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
My favorite revolver is the S&W Mod 10, pre 1980...to be exact...I actually prefer the Mod 10 from 1930 to 1960.

Johnny, as you know, the .38 S&W Special is a very accurate round, actually inherintly accurate like the .22. The low recoil and relatively slow speed helps too. I don't have one now but the several that I had over the years could shoot better than I could.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I've been thinking about moving up to a semi-auto. The two that I'm most interested in are the Beretta 92FS (9mm) and the Beretta 96F (40 S&W). Anyone have any experience with these two handguns or opinions on 9mm vs 40 S&W?

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
The bigger the badder!

The way I was taught was to carry as much gun I could shoot and handle comfortably. I want the most knock down power so I carry a Para Ordinance 45 P-12, a Kahr Arms MK-40 cal. I have a Beretta 92FS that I bought for $300 as a police trade in with three 15 round mags and when I want to shoot cheaper ammo I shoot the 9mm. It is a nice gun!

With the right load there isn't much difference between a 40 cal. and a 45 cal. So carry the biggest gun you can shoot well. :)

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Yes!

Johnnysan said:
The favorite in my arsenal is an old Smith & Wesson Model 10 with a 5" light barrel. I bought it as "new old stock" from a local sporting goods store in the town where I grew up after they discovered it laying on a shelf in the back room. The downside is that I can't push +P rounds through it, but it is deadly accurate, so regular .38 rounds do just fine. The upside is that the bluing is outstanding - almost presentation quality - so that it has a nice black sheen to it. I removed the original wood grips and replaced them with smooth black buffalo horn and the look is terrific.

I recently had it reworked to correct a broken cylinder lock and the gunsmith questioned why I would want to invest in a repair instead of buying new. His opinion changed once he fired it. There's a reason that virtually every law enforcement agency in the U.S. and Canada carried Model 10s at one time or another...they are simply flawless.

That's the one! S&W Model 10! I think I'd start drooling if I saw yours. It sounds nice. When I first started buying, I saw an old Model 10 with an 8" barrel, but I had no idea I would like revolvers like I do. I was talked into a .380 baretta that was a piece of crap. I regret not buying the Smith now.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Johnnysan said:
I've been thinking about moving up to a semi-auto. The two that I'm most interested in are the Beretta 92FS (9mm) and the Beretta 96F (40 S&W). Anyone have any experience with these two handguns or opinions on 9mm vs 40 S&W?

I've fired the 9mm, and I found it was a nice smooth shoot, light recoil. Pretty accurate, too. However, if you have small hands, I wouldn't advise it. My hands are small, and the grip is fat, so it rolled sideways in my hand with the recoil. If not for that, I'd own one (the only semi-auto I've ever liked). I don't know the 40, but I can tell you from experience that not all baretta's are created equal, especially the smaller calibers!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Not-Bogart13 said:
However, if you have small hands, I wouldn't advise it. My hands are small, and the grip is fat, so it rolled sideways in my hand with the recoil.

Small hands are a curse! I used to own a S&W Model 29, but the grip was huge, and my hands just couldn't get around it, to the point where the recoil was brutal, at least with the .44 Mags, though the Specials weren't bad. I thought about getting some smaller grips, but even the grip frame is big, so finally ended up selling it to buy a flywheel for my truck, since a running automobile was more important.

You really need a gun to fit you, that's for sure. I don't care for semi-autos, at the least the few I've tried, as I'm left-handed, so the cartridges fly back in my face. I know someone made a conversion for the M1911A1 a few years back that reversed the ejection for southpaws, but Lee Keppler told me once they don't make them anymore.

I've never found a pistol that fit my hand better than a Colt SAA. Talk about a gun feeling natural in your hand, that's it. :cool2:

Brad

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
I carry a copy of the 1873 Colt Peacemaker 44-40 with the 7 1/2" barrel. I have also carried a brace of Colt .44 cap and ball pistols, but I was riding as a Confederate Partisan at War against Northern Agression Events here in the South during that time.

GG

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Congratulations

Congrats MK. I am one that believe all law abiding citizens should be able to carry conceal. After Florida got their Concealed carry, somone from the press talked with a gang banger in florida that was in prison and asked him who did he target and why. He told them that he and his friends only targeted tourists because they were not allowed to carry. He said that he did not know which citizen of Florida was carrying, so he did not take the chance of being shot.

GG

I have several pistols, that I enjoy. A Springfield Armory 45ACP 1911A1 "Loaded" meaning with most of the bells and whistles that are coming standard these days. A 92F 9mm from Taurus, still the one I am best with. Finally a 3" Ruger SP101 357 magnum, when it comes to snub nose revolvers I like the 3" versions a lot, to me it just seems to suggest "The FBI!" for some reason.

Here's to hoping never having to used them in fear or anger, but glad to know they are there if needed.

I suggest Everyone takes the time to get a formal traing class for handling and shooting or appropriate training from a professional level person. EVEN IF YOU HATE GUNS. Such a class demystifies guns, helps eliviate unreasonable fear and shows safety in use and handling plus gives you a solid background if an emergency arises.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
I have several pistols, that I enjoy. A Springfield Armory 45ACP 1911A1 "Loaded" meaning with most of the bells and whistles that are coming standard these days. A 92F 9mm from Taurus, still the one I am best with. Finally a 3" Ruger SP101 357 magnum, when it comes to snub nose revolvers I like the 3" versions a lot, to me it just seems to suggest "The FBI!" for some reason.

Here's to hoping never having to used them in fear or anger, but glad to know they are there if needed.

I suggest Everyone takes the time to get a formal traing class for handling and shooting or appropriate training from a professional level person. EVEN IF YOU HATE GUNS. Such a class demystifies guns, helps eliviate unreasonable fear and shows safety in use and handling plus gives you a solid background if an emergency arises.

I agree completely.

GG

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I can't carry conceled here, those who have lived in this state (refer to MK's statement) know the pain it is to obtain a permit. I do occasionally arm myself if I have to walk alone for more than a few hundred yards in my area. The handgun I have is a full-size 9mm semiauto, and it's a bulky presence under a jacket.

I'll have a few extra bucks to throw around when I come back from basic training, and the Ruger Vaquero has really caught my eye as of late, especially the short-barreled birdshead models. It's not the ideal carry gun, granted, but again, I don't like to carry much, and ovbiously can't do so legally. It would be more for having something fun to shoot, with a timeless design, and a lot of knockdown power should I ever need it. .45 LC is almost on par with .357 in terms of muzzle velocity, and it's a lot more bullet to throw.

I'm interested in opinions.

67H.gif

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Wingnut, I have a pair of those Ruger Birdsheads in .45 and love them. They're a blast to shoot one in each hand. I can also easily carry one concealed using this rig though mine is black to match the grips.

MernickleHolster.jpg

I also picked up a pair of the faux ivory grips so now each gun has a black grip on one side and the white on the other side...the internal battle of good vs. evil. I'll try to take some pics of it being worn so you can get the idea. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
You wear those revolvers at the store?

Nices peices...

This is what I carry...Kimber Pro Carry .45 ACP in a Wild Bill's Concealment Holster and Belt combo..

I like the Mernickle but they are kind of expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot