Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peter O'Toole - a great quote from a great man

Slim Portly

One Too Many
I was watching TCM this morning and between movies they played an excerpt of an interview with the prodigiously talented Peter O'Toole. I thought this comment, in regards to his work ethic, was wonderful:

“Many years ago I sent an old, beloved jacket to a cleaner, the Sycamore Cleaners. It was a leather jacket covered in Guinness and blood and marmalade, one of those jobs… and it came back with a little note pinned to it, and on the note it said, ‘It distresses us to return work which is not perfect.’ So that will do for me. That can go on my tombstone.“

Peter_OToole.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Then again, I was once told by a very good director, "Never apologize for your performance". If you've given everything you've got, then that's all there is to give. If it's imperfect in one sense, it's still perfect in another.
A man's reach should exceed his grasp.

byronic

One of the Regulars
Has anyone seen O'Toole in 'My favourite year'? He plays a declining, but still hell-raising, swashbuckling movie star (modelled on Errol Flynn), and has some side-splitting one-liners. Alas, i think they're a little too risque to repeat here.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Slim Portly said:
I was watching TCM this morning and between movies they played an excerpt of an interview with the prodigiously talented Peter O'Toole. I thought this comment, in regards to his work ethic, was wonderful:

“Many years ago I sent an old, beloved jacket to a cleaner, the Sycamore Cleaners. It was a leather jacket covered in Guinness and blood and marmalade, one of those jobs… and it came back with a little note pinned to it, and on the note it said, ‘It distresses us to return work which is not perfect.’ So that will do for me. That can go on my tombstone.“

Peter_OToole.jpg

ODDLY, I was just recommending MyFavoriteYear to ROVER jsut the other nite, and mentioning some of Otoole's notorious interviews.
Heres a Letterman interview where he tells the SycamoreCleaners story when asked what he'd want on his tombstone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIXoneT1XFI

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
byronic said:
Has anyone seen O'Toole in 'My favourite year'? He plays a declining, but still hell-raising, swashbuckling movie star (modelled on Errol Flynn), and has some side-splitting one-liners. Alas, i think they're a little too risque to repeat here.

Great movie, very funny. It's a great look at live tv in the 50's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR