Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"PFC," a short film about WW2

Baggers

Practically Family
MODS: I wasn't sure whether to start this here or in The Moving Picture section, so please feel free to put it where it needs to go (oh yeah, I know I'm opening myself up! ;) )

About this time last year, I worked on a submission for the 24 Hour Video Race held by the Dallas Video Fest, one of the local film and/or video festivals held here annually. Teams of filmakers, both professional and amateur, create a finished short film from scratch within 24 hours. To make it interesting, the films have to be scripted using specific themes, content, and props to see how creative the teams can be.

Team Vladimir, the group I worked with, went with a WW2 theme since (I think) they were at the time trying to create a trailer on spec for an intended feature length project and had decided to incorporate the people, gear, and action vehicles they were assembling for it. I had answered the online casting call and showed up that morning to find that I had been cast as one of the principals, whom I shall only call "The Crazy Englishman."

It was a fun day, but I never heard anything more about the finished product, except that it had been one of the finalists in the contest. That is until this morning when, while doing research to update my resume, I found that the production company had posted the "Director's Cut" on YouTube.

So, without further ado, please click here and have a look at a story about the reminicences of an old veteran about the day in Northern Italy when he met that "crazy British guy."

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
Zemke Fan said:
... you come up with the line: "Check his pockets... See if he's got any biscuits?" ;)

Pretty fun, but watch it in the smaller size screen.

ZF
lol If I recall, they gave me a similar one that just didn't sound "British" so I substituted and they liked it. It was a rather fast moving day. They just shoved two or three pages of script into my hands when I arrived that morning and said "congratulations, you've been upgraded to principal."

And to take a another stab at Shamus' question (I'm sorry, it was a bit late when I replied and my brain was only half switched on), virtually all independent film is shot on digital video these days. Actual film is a thing of the past except for the "big boys," and a lot of them are beginning to make the switch. So no delay waiting for raw footage to be processed and a dramatic savings in time in money. This short was shot in script order -- each setup, or scene, being done as it would be seen in the finished film -- so when they switched tape cartridges, the used one was taken straight to the editor who transferred the footage to his computer and went to work creating a rough cut for the director.

Cheers!

shamus

Suspended
That sounds like a fun day.

I guess I'm a bit too "Old School" as I call a Film a film and video a video.

I know there are a lot of stickers here and when it comes to film/video I guess I'm one too....

either way the project came out nice.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
That looked like a lot of fun, Baggers! Were those squibs in the paper? I noticed when they reversed the shot the holes were still there. How'd they do that?

And how 'bout some pics of you in your British kit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy