Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pgoat runs the batsakes voodoo down.....

pgoat

One Too Many
(Or, how I was Gus Miller'd into submission)

okay folks, the Bogie fedora has arrived!

first and foremost, I am EXTREMELY relieved that it fits very nicely indeed. A bit loose if anything (quite the opposite from what i'd expected - though I am very happy!).

Some immediate impressions upon ripping open the box at work 10 seconds before having to ignore it (yeah, right!) till quitting time...

1. color is lighter in person than I expected, but very very nice. A very silky warm grey. Defintely see those bluish hints. Very nice.

2. Felt is nice - quite pliable but not wimpy. Definitely not as thick or substantial as my Art Fawcetts. But a nice medium weight imo. Perhaps a weighing experiment of my hats is in order soon....

3. I did not get the details I asked for. I printed out pics of Boris's hat and listed his hat's dimensions and asked for a slightly taller crown, with fuller sides. The side do look quite full - there's no real taper here I can see, looking straight on. I also asked about a tan sweatband, but indicated black was fine (which is what I got - btw, no hand sig like Boris' - mine was stamped on the sweatband).

4. I got details I didn't ask for - like the pimp feathers! But they do add some character (albiet not Bogie character), and imo attitude and character is what Gus' hats are all about - look at Metropd's and Boris' pics and I am sure you'll agree.....

5. The hat looks extremely well made and superbly finished. It has a very fine quality look and feel in your hands.

Pics and more of my spiel to follow....

pgoat

One Too Many
some pics of a Greek...

...in a Greek hat!

pgoat

pgoat

pgoat

pgoat

pgoat

pgoat

pgoat

pgoat

One Too Many
Finally some opinions right off the bat - I know some other folks were considering ordering from Gus.

These hats have a LOT of mojo. They're pretty stylin so if that's your thing, I'd say consider one. This hat easily looks and feels better than a new factory Borsalino imho (I have a Como bought new in 2006 or so), for about the same price. In spite of what others here have posted, I honestly had no problem communicating with Gus on the phone. He has an accent but appeared to understand everything I said perfectly and communicated to me just fine (we spoke only in english, just to be clear). There is, however, a long distance issue as with any transaction of this type. I would say be as clear as possible about what you want/don't want before ordering.

I don't mind the things I didn't get with one exception - I still need to shape the crown to a nice sharp bogie pinch in front with diamond on top. This, I can tell already, will be tough (as with any hat that has a lower crown) because the inner liner sits right on my head when it's shaped right. A taller crown gives you more space to shape, with adequate clearance for your head. This may well not bother others, it's just my little peeve.

I would also say check out Art Fawcett for customs. For another $50 or so you get much stiffer/thicker denser felt and a much nicer presentation - hand signed authenticity card, beautiful oval box (my Gus hat just came with a plain white flat hat box). I will say Art's hats have a much more 'handmade' look imo as well. Tough to put into words. The Gus hat is very very cool - you open the box and you SMILE! You open a VS box and you just say wow....two different vibes, different takes on hats, and both exquisite.

And both killing my bank account!lol

'sall for now....gotta go eat dinner.....these new hat purchases take a lot outta me.:D :D :D

Boris K

One of the Regulars

Looks great, pgoat!

I also received the feather from one of the ladies, but pulled it out after getting the hat home. I hand creased mine as well, and to get that "Bogie" look, it does touch the top of my head. You should be able to get the shape you want with hands only.

Gus is definitely "old school" as far as presentation.

pgoat

One Too Many
word! Again, the feathers, the plain jane box - it all adds to the individual character and I wouldn't have it any other way. In many ways this Gus hat for me is basically a 'real' honest to goodness oldtimer hat - probably very much like a hat Gus would have sold you 40 years ago, and how cool is that? For what you are getting in the hat at that price, I have no issues with the box (now, if a $500 Optimo, or a $800 panama came with a plain jane box, that'd be different!lol )

I want to be clear - I really really love this new lid. Comparing it to Art's hats is sorta apples and oranges - you get the idea. Different strokes for different folks, and I'm glad they are so different, because now I have some cool different looks in my collection of fedoras. After all, it would be boring to have them all be the same exact thing. I personally probably lean more towards Art's hats overall but I am totally stoked to get the Gus hat as well! (I will have to get creative about paying off all these credit cards, tho:rolleyes: )

If I mentioned little nitpicks it was only for benefit of others here who are considering popping $250 for a Gus. After all, that;s considerable dough for a hat. Because he does things old school with no website I figured word of mouth is crucial - and what better forum than the FL? Boris got the ball rolling and metropd showed us some awesome pics. My two cents is, you won't go wrong with this hat. But there are other options too, so ask questions and go for what looks right for you. If you're like me, you'll eventually go for a few different customs.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Batsakes or Gus thread needed

PGoat...you need to start a Batsakes or Gus thread...and of course lots of pics of all the great batsakes lids!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
That is one gorgeous hat pgoat!

KObalto

One of the Regulars
Honest opinion, pgoat?

Something about the crown is not grabbing me (too short?). I think you wear a hat as well or better than anyone on this site but I don't think this one works as well as some of your others (like Art's for instance).

pgoat

One Too Many
I appreciate that honesty!

yeah, I think a taller crown suits my facial proportions better (most who posted on my 'assess my collection' thread concurred with this). Do keep in mind though that these were awful self-portraits with the digital camera held out at arms' length and view screen flipped. I think if my wife takes some pics you would get a more true sense of how the hat looks. These shots were too close for comfort (hence my attempting the mirror thing). Also, I still need to work on the crown shape.

It's a very pretty hat and I am glad I got one.

But I am already thinking about the Akubra I am ordering and mapping out funds for another VS....where o' where will the madness end?:p

pgoat

One Too Many
Colby Jack said:
PGoat...you need to start a Batsakes or Gus thread...and of course lots of pics of all the great batsakes lids!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
That is one gorgeous hat pgoat!

Great idea! But I think Boris deserves the credit for raising recent Gus awareness here, though Mr. Miller's been around for a long time and apparently is well known enough in the hat buying community.

toobacat

One of the Regulars
That's a nice hat. I talked to Gus on the phone a few weeks ago, and really enjoyed talking to him. He talked more about the Atlanta Braves, Bobby Cox, and life in general than about hats. He's quite a character, and I'm sure that adds to the enjoyment of owning one of his hats.

Boris K

One of the Regulars

pgoat said:
I appreciate that honesty!

yeah, I think a taller crown suits my facial proportions better (most who posted on my 'assess my collection' thread concurred with this).

Hey P, for reference, how tall is Gus's crown compared to your Panama we were all raving about in your Please help assess my hats post?

pgoat

One Too Many
Thank you for all the nice compliments guys!

I've yet to apply my usual OCD measuring to the new Gus M. but will do so this weekend the latest, and post here. I admit I've not measured the crowns on all my hats; it would be interesting to do so. That crown shape Boris showed us really got me revving! Also started me thinking more about crown shape in general. The Diamond Authority thread got me hooked!!!

Funnily enough, Boris, the two hats that most people seemed to like on me in the other thread were the ones I had the most doubts about, as far as the crowns went. The panama definitely seems a bit shorter than my other hats and the Borsalino Como is far more tapered than my VS or vintage hats.

I would have guessed the fuller, taller crowns were more flattering but who am i to argue with you guys?:D

pgoat

One Too Many
Lamont Cranston said:
That is a really nice hat!
What are the dimentions?
Is it beaver fur felt?

LC

dang! Had some time this AM but the tape measure has vanished.....

as far as the felt, I think Boris knows for sure - I believe it is a beaver/rabbit blend? It has a very nice hand and look; though I am certainly no expert on felts I'd say it is very nice. Very pliable but not flimsy at all....I'd call it a medium weight based on my limited experience.

pgoat

One Too Many
attn: ScionPI2005

ok, found the tape measure.

The brim (measured top side at TDC right between the eyes at front) is a generous 2 3/8" wide (Just shy of 2 7/16").

The crown looks to be about 4 5/8" at its highest point on the sides, about the same as my 1960s Knox Stingy Brims.

Also, re: fit - I also measured around the sweatband and it actually came out about 5mm shy of my best fitting hat (a Cheyenne from Art Fawcett) - so my impressions following my initial phone consult with Gus were right - he really got it spot on after just a few minutes of my jibberish ("So, I'm kinda in between a 59 and 60 or what you'd call a 7 3/8" with really long oval, or a 7 1/2" with no oval if it stretches, but not on thursdays", etc etc etc)

ScionPI2005 - I hope yours comes out fitting as well as mine did - I was on pins and needles there for a while!!:eusa_doh:

Boris K

One of the Regulars

This felt is 65% beaver and 35% rabbit. This is the felt Gus said "they don't make anymore."

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
pgoat said:
ScionPI2005 - I hope yours comes out fitting as well as mine did - I was on pins and needles there for a while!!:eusa_doh:

Thanks, pgoat! Haven't heard from Gus yet, though I'm assuming it should be ready for payment and shipment within a day or so.

Yours looks really great and I'm really glad it fits well. That does help to ease my nerves just a little bit. I'm debating whether or not I'll leave the feathers in mine when I get it, assuming it comes with the feathers as well. I'm also a bit nervous about doing the bash myself, assuming it comes open crown. I haven't done a bashing myself; though if the felt is as pliable as folks here say it is, I could probably figure it out after a day if I have nothing else to do. lol

animator

One of the Regulars
Hey pgoat,

That is a fine looking hat. I really want one.

I really appreciate the comparison to your VS hat experience, too. I haven't read much on the forum about Art's presentation, but I think you described it perfectly. Between the conformer service, the box, the service and the fantastic quality I think Art offers an amazing bargain... and I'm a cheap guy -I wear $14 shoes.

I hope to have one of Gus' hats, also. These hats look like a hat from the past to me. Just great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou