Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phoenix Hat Company

RJR

I finally found some time to practice on this Winchester beaver/rabbit blend hat body with my JW Hats curling shackle. This one started out with a 3 1/4" brim and ended up with exactly 3" after the 1/8 size pencil curl. There is definitely a bit of a learning curve here. The process reminds me of something my grandmother used to tell me, "Simple is not always easy".
View attachment 115392
It certainly appears that you have the "hang" of it,Rick.

I finally found some time to practice on this Winchester beaver/rabbit blend hat body with my JW Hats curling shackle. This one started out with a 3 1/4" brim and ended up with exactly 3" after the 1/8 size pencil curl. There is definitely a bit of a learning curve here. The process reminds me of something my grandmother used to tell me, "Simple is not always easy".
View attachment 115392

Oh great. Now I need another with a pencil curl. I’m looking forward to seeing how that turns out Rick...I’m shameless when it comes to copying other’s hats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting closer! I like when hatters give you updates and photos. Rick has been great and is keeping me apprised of the process.

54a04ad1ec9c8d1799b68089bff22228.jpg

c8dfe0065d032b89a8f160fe0d217600.jpg

Ribbon and binding choices. A tough call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humanshoes

One Too Many
Amen to your grandmother's wisdom! Like that curling shackle. Mine looks to be slightly different in its curl configuration.
I think I can do a full rollover with these shackles Mike, but I didn't want to press my luck on this one. It still seems counterintuitive to me to spend so many hours on a hat and then slap a blazing hot iron on the brim with only a piece of damp cotton t-shirt standing in the way of total destruction. Maybe I'll get used to it as time goes on, but for now it still scares the hell out of me.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Ooooh. I might need one of those.
When you inquired about the Josie Wales hat I was reminded me how much I liked that style so I thought I break out a free "seconds" hat body that Greg from Winchester sent me many years ago. The body was so rough that I put it away and forgot about it. I needed to test a new "pre-aging" process that I've come up with and also get some practice with the curling shackle so that body became my guinea pig.

Thanks belfastboy. The hat body color is Sand and the ribbon is a vintage Grayblock beige.
On my monitor the felt looks a nice light to mid brown and the ribbon has a pinkish tone to it. Looks great in that combo. I imagine the Sand is actually quite a bit lighter than it looks on my monitor. I love your brim curl work.

When you inquired about the Josie Wales hat I was reminded me how much I liked that style so I thought I break out a free "seconds" hat body that Greg from Winchester sent me many years ago. The body was so rough that I put it away and forgot about it. I needed to test a new "pre-aging" process that I've come up with and also get some practice with the curling shackle so that body became my guinea pig.

Your guinea pig is just about perfect. I’m seriously thinking about how I’m going to tell my wife that I’m ordering yet another custom hat. I’m really digging that hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo