Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

John Galt

Vendor
Excellent work, JG!

Thank you! I've never used poplar before - I made my first tools from oak scrap. I like it. It's softer than oak, but still plenty hardy, and easier to work with. Took oil & stain well too, without pre-stain conditioning.

I'm putting the good outdoor/marine poly on these guys now - it should last a long time & protect from heat & water better.

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Well, here is the recent batch of tools laid out on the flanging cloth.

e3uru4u6.jpg

uzujeqyv.jpg

uzaru2u9.jpg

yhu5ynuq.jpg

zu6egeru.jpg

anu2ezah.jpg

The runner downer & puller downer are MiamiBruno's, but the tollicker is still available. Note that the handle is offset like the old ones - I like that. I bought three - hope I can find more...

ynehyqyh.jpg

Someone should buy it so I can put some $ toward one of the Garve Deluxe's I've been eyeing ;-)

I'm really liking the runner downer. It's teak oil on hickory & I think it's the best I've made so far. I'm going to have to make one like it for myself.

e9a6ubyq.jpg

These all still need poly, but I'm spent. You're going to have to wait just a bit longer for your tools, MB - sorry ;-)

I'm using the good stuff and putting it on with lamb's wool for a really good finish. I've used lamb's wool applicators before but had to buy a lamb's wool roller to cut up because there were none.

uguqaqe4.jpg

9ery3a7e.jpg

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
I can't throw anything made of wood away. On my way out of the garage I walked by a burnt bamboo kitchen spoon I 'd been saving for just such an occasion. A few minutes on the scroll saw & sander and - very nice slip stick.

a2uhe6ug.jpg

y7ugupa5.jpg

ynuze3ad.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Anyone have this book? If not, I do recommend it. I think you can read it online in various editions. I was not able to download the later editions (see below).

myqapygy.jpg

It's got a great section on hat renovating & building, but I think you need at least the 2nd edition to get the best material, which is on _felt_ hats. The first edition only has information on straw hats. You'll know you have the right one if it's got images if tollikers, stretchers, etc.

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
I was not able to download the later editions.

Turns out this was because I was browsing on my iPad. Bad tech in that regard. Feel silly - I thought that google had stopped allowing PDF downloads. Spent two hours on my PC last night downloading The American Hatter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou