Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pick me up...

Lorena B

Practically Family
When i feel that everything is too heavy on me i like to treat myself with a nice dinner in a nice place that it need not to be expensive and follow with a cinema session (on my own).

Have you notice that we invest more effort and sometimes money in trying to treat someone else than we do to ourselves?? I think it should always be the other way out, how can you cheer up someone if you dont cheer up yourself when you need it

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I have a few things I do when I'm down, and they all make me feel fabulous.

1) I get a cup of hot chocolate from the closest coffee shop to a bookstore (usually the cafe inside Barnes & Noble) and then I just wander the store for hours-- I go through every section and spend time looking at my favorites like crafts, mysteries, journals, and of course, the classic books in the children's section. If I have the money, I always leave with a book or two. I just love books and being around so many of them at one time makes me feel fantastic.

2) I love to go to the fabric store or craft store and just look. I'll stop by my local Starbucks and pick up a cup of hot chocolate, then walk through Hobby Lobby until my case of the mean reds starts to subside. I just love to look at the fabric selections-- something about seeing the calico wall lined with a rainbow of bolts and the spools of lace. It really does me good just to think of all the things I could create, even if my college-student's pocket-book doesn't allow for purchasing.

3) I absolutely love to go to the park and find a nice spot to sit, be it at the base of a tree, out on a hill, or o a bench. I bring a blanket, a cup of hot chocolate, and a good book and sit and read until I feel content. My favorite book to take with me is The Great Gatsby.

4) If its too cold for the park and I don't feel like driving into town, I pop Little Women(1994), The Secret Garden (1992?) or Never Been Kissed (1999) into the dvd player, pull out my knitting, and sink into a great story.

5) Sometimes I just wander Downtown Fort Worth with a cup of hot chocolate if it's cold outside. There is plenty to see and do in the afternoon. I love it.

I've noticed a couple of constants here: I'm for the most part alone and I require a nice cup of hot chocolate...

That's the secret to happiness: being alone with chocolate.

Leila de la May

New in Town
maggiethespy said:
I have a few things I do when I'm down, and they all make me feel fabulous.

1) I get a cup of hot chocolate from the closest coffee shop to a bookstore (usually the cafe inside Barnes & Noble) and then I just wander the store for hours-- I go through every section and spend time looking at my favorites like crafts, mysteries, journals, and of course, the classic books in the children's section. If I have the money, I always leave with a book or two. I just love books and being around so many of them at one time makes me feel fantastic.

2) I love to go to the fabric store or craft store and just look. I'll stop by my local Starbucks and pick up a cup of hot chocolate, then walk through Hobby Lobby until my case of the mean reds starts to subside. I just love to look at the fabric selections-- something about seeing the calico wall lined with a rainbow of bolts and the spools of lace. It really does me good just to think of all the things I could create, even if my college-student's pocket-book doesn't allow for purchasing.

3) I absolutely love to go to the park and find a nice spot to sit, be it at the base of a tree, out on a hill, or o a bench. I bring a blanket, a cup of hot chocolate, and a good book and sit and read until I feel content. My favorite book to take with me is The Great Gatsby.

4) If its too cold for the park and I don't feel like driving into town, I pop Little Women(1994), The Secret Garden (1992?) or Never Been Kissed (1999) into the dvd player, pull out my knitting, and sink into a great story.

5) Sometimes I just wander Downtown Fort Worth with a cup of hot chocolate if it's cold outside. There is plenty to see and do in the afternoon. I love it.

I've noticed a couple of constants here: I'm for the most part alone and I require a nice cup of hot chocolate...

This is a great answer! :eusa_clap
I thouroughly enjoy these activities too.
Also there is something so refreshing in walking about town in the cold weather with a hot drink really early in the morning just as all the shops are opening and then as maggie has said going in to a great bookstore and looking through all of your favourite books.:)
p.s. Little Women and the Secret Garden, two of my favourites, I am liking your movie taste.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
maggiethespy said:

I agree! :eusa_clap Chocolate always makes me feel better. Sometimes I eat a little too much of it, though...:rolleyes:

I love to wander around Barnes & Noble, too. If I'm really feeling in a funk, popping in a classic movie and sitting on the couch with a blanket and a treat (in the winter, I LOVE frosted sugar cookies and hot chocolate!) works wonders for me.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
AmateisGal said:
I agree! :eusa_clap Chocolate always makes me feel better. Sometimes I eat a little too much of it, though...:rolleyes:

I love to wander around Barnes & Noble, too. If I'm really feeling in a funk, popping in a classic movie and sitting on the couch with a blanket and a treat (in the winter, I LOVE frosted sugar cookies and hot chocolate!) works wonders for me.

You are talking my Cookie!! :) lol lol
Im the same way :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I have been re-reading these....

Its not even half over and this is qualifying as one of the worst weeks....

Work is being turned upside down for me......stressful to say the very least...

I have realised I was a bad girl financially...so now I get to sort it all back out...

and thats the start of the list....

bah...I need a hug....or chocolate or something...:(

The Shirt

Practically Family
Hugs to you Ms. Neecerie. I hate when I have weeks that just throw me off and leave me feeling like my legs are wobbling. I've had to simply ask my BF to stop talking about the economic woes, his laid off friends,jobs etc for a day or two. I cannot bear it right now.

I will say though - my efforts to put my finances in order has made me feel that at least I am doing all I can. I have a plan where I sit down every 2 weeks and re-assess to make sure I am staying on track. "Scheduled Worry Time" actually makes me feel better in the end I guess. That and a giant pile of cookies.

I hope you feel better when Friday finally gets here.

carter

I'll Lock Up
452514205_e66da61d07.jpg

[huh] Best I could do on short notice. ;) :)

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
I have been re-reading these....

Its not even half over and this is qualifying as one of the worst weeks....

Work is being turned upside down for me......stressful to say the very least...

I have realised I was a bad girl financially...so now I get to sort it all back out...

and thats the start of the list....

bah...I need a hug....or chocolate or something...:(

I'm so sorry to hear you are feeling overwhelmed. Frequently the holiday season can intensify what you're going through, so warm wishes a big hug to you. :) Sometimes when I'm low, and a trip to dog park with my best four-legged friend doesn't quite pull me out, I like to go to a matinee by myself; grab an aisle seat, popcorn and just sit in the dark and be entertained. For me, it's a nice stress relief.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff