Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Picked up a double sided lead free pewter replica 1813 and 1914 iron cross to wear.

Earl Grey Tea Drinker

New in Town
I recently picked up this cool lead free pewter 1813 Fredrick Wilhelm lll Iron Cross that is double sided. It has the 1914 Second Class World War 1 Iron Cross metal on the other side. These metals were also given for other wars, and World War 2. A swastika version was made too. But personally, I think that would be very uncomfortable for me to wear. But, free speech is still free speech though.

These iron crosses are fairly cheap. You get one for $10 with shipping and handling for $5 to $7 if you look around.

I also think they sell the same iron cross for $119.0O plus shipping and handling too.

2u47rjn.jpg

2pp10mw.jpg

Last edited:

Aerojoe

Practically Family
But personally, I think that would be very uncomfortable for me to wear. But, free speech is still free speech though.

In Germany you would be even more uncomfortable - in jail - since it is forbidden to wear nazi symbols.

Anyway, one thing is an iron cross and another different thing is a Maltese cross, which is totally ok.

Earl Grey Tea Drinker

New in Town
In Germany you would be even more uncomfortable - in jail - since it is forbidden to wear nazi symbols.

Anyway, one thing is an iron cross and another different thing is a Maltese cross, which is totally ok.

It all depends how you look at it I guess. You are right. The Nazis had different classes for their metals. I even think the 1813 version was used as a metal in World War 2 too. But, it can also mean the Prussian 1813 version when the Prussians fought the French and Napoleon too, and it was given as a metal. Nobody is going to really argue with you there if you say it that way.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I thought this is the Maltese cross?

The Nazis wore this style of cross too.

2qcoxao.png

Yes :) but the stylized version of the maltese cross is this one;

maltese-crossL.gif

This one is sported by many motorbike lovers right now. The maltese cross is extremely common to see all around the whole Europe. During the middle ages was the cross of the hospitaller order, similar to the templar order. Therefore, it was adopted by many military corps, including the german one.

In my country there are military unit logos with the former cross, medals, a lot of heraldry. If a town had once a hospitaller castle, you'll probably find the maltese cross in the town heraldry, in the church, in the castle, in fountains and other monuments.

Besides, maltese cross is the national symbol of island of Malta, which is part of the European Union. And finally, the maltese cross is a traditional good luck charm.

It is a symbol that can't be nazified. Roy Orbison wore a necklace with the maltese cross. Was he nazi? No, just a motorbikes enthusiast.

Earl Grey Tea Drinker

New in Town
Yes :) but the stylized version of the maltese cross is this one;

maltese-crossL.gif

This one is sported by many motorbike lovers right now. The maltese cross is extremely common to see all around the whole Europe. During the middle ages was the cross of the hospitaller order, similar to the templar order. Therefore, it was adopted by many military corps, including the german one.

In my country there are military unit logos with the former cross, medals, a lot of heraldry. If a town had once a hospitaller castle, you'll probably find the maltese cross in the town heraldry, in the church, in the castle, in fountains and other monuments.

Besides, maltese cross is the national symbol of island of Malta, which is part of the European Union. And finally, the maltese cross is a traditional good luck charm.

It is a symbol that can't be nazified. Roy Orbison wore a necklace with the maltese cross. Was he nazi? No, just a motorbikes enthusiast.

Yeah, theres seems to be three different versions of the Maltese cross. Funny you mention Roy Orbison. His son dated the tattoo artist Kat Von D who also dated the motorcycle builder Jesse James. Both of those people have questionable Nazi views. lol.

Story

I'll Lock Up
It all depends how you look at it I guess. You are right. The Nazis had different classes for their metals. I even think the 1813 version was used as a metal in World War 2 too. But, it can also mean the Prussian 1813 version when the Prussians fought the French and Napoleon too, and it was given as a metal. Nobody is going to really argue with you there if you say it that way.

[video=youtube_share;G2y8Sx4B2Sk]http://youtu.be/G2y8Sx4B2Sk[/video]
Medal - noun.
1. A flat piece of metal stamped with a design or an inscription commemorating an event or a person, often given as an award.
2. A piece of metal stamped with a religious device, used as an object of veneration or commemoration.

Metal - noun.
1. A solid material that is typically hard, shiny, malleable, fusible, and ductile, with good electrical and thermal conductivity.

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, theres seems to be three different versions of the Maltese cross. Funny you mention Roy Orbison. His son dated the tattoo artist Kat Von D who also dated the motorcycle builder Jesse James. Both of those people have questionable Nazi views. lol.

Uhm....that's four people. Which "both"?

Earl Grey Tea Drinker

New in Town
Pretty funny, it has been almost a month since I got my pewter Second Class Iron Cross, and I got two more since then. These are more exact to the real iron crosses.

I have no idea what kind of metal they are made of though. Only time will tell if they can survive from wearing them.

I got this Grand Iron Cross. I had no idea how big and heavy it was to wear.

34hjio1.jpg

I got this other Second Class Iron Cross. This one has the hoop you see on all Second Class Iron Crosses. It makes it easier to put it on a necklace.

24ox2ps.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR