Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pics of my Avirex replica WWII bomber jacket

442RCT

One of the Regulars
jon z said:
If anyone's interested there's one listed on eBay now. Deadstock, Horsehide, size 40, no artwork or patches, starting price $49.99, no bids as yet, item no. 260563376939.

I do not know the Seller or have any connection with him whatsoever. It's refreshing to note that he will accept returns for whatever reason. So if it doesn't fit or you just don't like it your not stuck.

I looked at the measurements and they look like they're more of a sz 42 than a sz 40. I have a sz 42 Avirex in hh and it's way too big, so I'm looking for a sz 40.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
sizing

the jackets were always slightly 'oversized' - a medium US always wore like a large UK size - it is still true in the UK that an American equivalent size is always one size (at least) bigger. If you have a jacket marked 42 that feels 'too big' - a label marked as 40 will be smaller than a 42 ...

My A-2 from 1989/90 is marked as a M - aside from my beer belly it still fits well enough to wear in the summer - I just can't zip it up anymore.

I think if we might be at risk of discussing a live Ebay auction so best not continue this paricular jacket discussion here - but if you want anymore info like catalog detail and original retail price for the Ebay jacket; pm me.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
5th USAAF insignia on the Sweetest Rose of Texas jacket...

.. it might not be an original feature of the jacket ... it might be a personalisation after purchase. I haven't found a catalog picture in my collection to confirm ... but I have been delving in the loft and found a collection of Avirex 'hangtags' and labels that came with products. I have one that features the USAAF insignia used by Avirex up to 1991 - the range doesn't include the 5th and the 'Rose' jacket is from the 1989 range. EDIT: the 5th patch was sold seperately by Avirex though, as were all the others.

The 'Sack Time' jacket mentioned by Spitfire is a 1987 50th Anniversary range jacket.

My favourites from around that time were the 'Flying Tigers Blood Chit', 'China Doll', 'Going My Way' and 'Wild Child'.

And there was a biker jacket in a style similiar to a Schott Perfecto - 'Three Jacks' that I still kick myself for not buying at the time!

I didn't buy any of the paints for myself when I had the chance - I bought only an example each of the undecorated A-2 and G-1. Which are nice but all I could afford then. And not the best examples.

Oh how I wish I had bought for myself at company discount one of each paint now!

BTW I have noticed that all of the jackets be they from Eastman, Avirex or whoever, are now cheaper than they were 20 years ago. An Avirex painted A-2, retail in 1992 was usually £300 - 400 depending on where you were in the country. Sometimes more in London!

And Irvin replicas were even more..... wow!

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Hi guys I was just at the Cockpit store in NYC. First, the store itself is pretty cool and is themed with vintage aircraft and airforce militaria.

Anyway, I'm at miss caveman's place right now so pics and a dedicated thread will have to wait till tomorrow am.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
A Cockpit thread would be cool!

BTW I said above the 5th USAAF wasn't on the hangtag I have - I was right about that, but the 5th USAAF patch was definitely made and sold by Avirex in 1988 - it's in the catalogue! It could have been bought seperately and sewn on ... or it may be 'factory' - I am still looking for an original picture of that particular jacket.

One thing for sure is, the 5th patch on the left breast is copied from an original A-2 named to D McBreen which is/was on display at the museum in Chino and was a motif definitely incorporated into Avirex Ltd (now Cockpit) jackets. I am still puzzled by the 5th patch on an ETO themed jacket - I am sure they didn't make that glaring a mistake .... but I could be wrong!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic