Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pictures of Ladies with Hair Adornments

klara

One of the Regulars
So, I know that this place is crowded with creative ladies, but I have a question for the lazy ones ;). Where do you buy your hair flowers?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Have you searched through the Powder Room and Beauty forums? Also, this info may be in many of the hair threads.

Your easiest bet is to try a Google search for hair flowers or better yet, get some silk flowers at the craft store and alligator clips and make your own. I know many of the girls here do, and it's a great way to get exactly what you want while saving money.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10075

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
In my humble opinion, it's totally crazy not to make your own hair flowers. Just go to a craft store and get a glue gun and some flowers and the hair clip of your choice. I find that glueing a leaf to the clip then the flowers to the leaf works very well. I also find that using glitter gel glue to embellish adds a nice touch.

Or for that matter, skip the gluing altogether and just pin them in your hair.
;)

Honey Doll

Practically Family
I hate to tell tales...

but I had a really hard time getting my items from Diva as well. Her things are lovely, but I would be reluctant to order without first emailing and inquiring if the items were "in stock" and when they would go out. She's a lovely girl and her items are beautiful, but it was more than a little frustrating.

That being said, I would order from Diva again with confirmation about when the items would be ready to go.

Honey Doll

klara

One of the Regulars
Honey Doll and texasgirl
Thanks for the links.

BegintheBeguine
Feels really good to know that I'm not alone ;)
Several weeks? Wonder how long time it would take to get them to sweden.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Geesh

BegintheBeguine said:
Yes, the first item arrived a month after the event and I ordered a month ahead of time. I loved the item so I ordered again and had to track down the order after I got charged and nothing arrived, apologies and a free hairclip. I don't like bugging people but I'd still order again from her, hoped I'd see her in Las Vegas last January but she dropped out of the vendors.
Just placed an order with the Etsy seller. :) I really am lazy and tend to mess up craft projects. Also, I've never been able to find nice looking flowers to start with. :(

Me too! Except I didn't get a freebe!

Honey Doll

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I make all of my hair clips...it's just so much cheaper than buying them! I just use spare hair clips (sometimes even pincurl clips), a gluegun and a decoration from my local hobby store. My favorite decorations are meant for flower arrangements and such -- small fruits, and birds. Right now I'm wearing one I made a week ago with a tiny bird's nest with two bluebirds inside it. I'm working on a set of Carmen Miranda pieces, too.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
I have very good luck making up hair pieces with flowers that are flat (gerbers, daisies)-- anything with lift in the petals looks a mess for me.

Honey Doll

Miss_Bella_Hell

Honey Doll said:
I have very good luck making up hair pieces with flowers that are flat (gerbers, daisies)-- anything with lift in the petals looks a mess for me.

Honey Doll

It's important to position the flower, off the clip, on your head first - see at exactly which angle you want the flower to sit on your head, and then glue accordingly.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
BegintheBeguine said:
I thought it had been lost in the mail or more likely stolen out of my mailbox. Turns out the order had been charged and the clerk or whoever put the order form in the mailed pile instead of the to mail pile. Was supposed to get a rebate on the shipping but got the freebie instead, a golden pointsettia. My order was several items, I like to buy stuff all at once. Still, I will order again when there's another sale. As a disorganized person I can kind of understand.
I'll let everyone know on the Etsy stuff when it arrives, if anyone's interested. (Thanks for that link, Honey Doll.)

The Diva Pinup is being complained about all over, a few girls I know had to wait about 3 months for their flowers and were constantly ignored every time they emailed or called and they even sent messages on Myspace with no reply. A real shame because her stuff is lovely, but everyone is right, pretty easy to make yourself with the right supplies. I won't be ordering from her again after hearing all these reports.

BegintheBeguine

I never wanted to turn anyone against The Diva Pinup (and so I deleted some posts, but they are still up in quotes), as my email wasn't ignored and the matter was quickly resolved. It's true I was angry and disappointed my first item didn't arrive in time but I have and would still re-order from her. In the old threads about hair clips from last year I'd never read any complaints.
Now, from reading some suggestions, I just might be inspired to actually visit a retail store (a chore I hate!) to look at some silk flowers and a glue gun and try making my own. If I can tailor an overcoat in a week I should be able to make a hairclip: my crafts always turned out messy but I admit I'd never tried this one. Think Jo-Ann's has the supplies? Or Michaels?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
BegintheBeguine said:
Now, from reading some suggestions, I just might be inspired to actually visit a retail store (a chore I hate!) to look at some silk flowers and a glue gun and try making my own. If I can tailor an overcoat in a week I should be able to make a hairclip: my crafts always turned out messy but I admit I'd never tried this one. Think Jo-Ann's has the supplies? Or Michaels?

I recommend using E6000 glue. It holds better than a gluegun. I always use pincurl clips when making mine. For smaller flowers, I don't mount them on clips - I just trim them so they have a couple of inches of stem left and then I can tuck them into my hairstyle and secure with bobby pins.

Michael's has a decent selection of flowers. It really depends on where you live, though. I've started going to AC Moore here, as there's a much better selection there. Besides, they're always playing oldies whenever I go in there :) When I was in Dallas, I went into a JoAnn Fabric and was astounded at the huge selection of flowers. You just need to look around to find the best place in your area.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Rochester

I found the flowers at the Michael's here to be a bit chintzy looking. Joannes and ACMoore had better ones I thought. I liked the offerings at Joannes best, they have some with very real, soft almost dewy petals.

Agree-- Diva's stuff is lovely and she is a very nice person. I would absolutely buy from her again....particularly the cherries which were the nicest I've seen.

Honey Doll

BegintheBeguine

Thanks for the tips! I may actually have that glue. I know I don't have a glue gun. At Jo Ann's their music used to be good, now it is unbearable. I wear earplugs when I go in there, yes, I'm weird. I really hate retail shopping and put it off as long as possible, or until the urge goes away. Maybe I can get a friend to go to with me. We have at least one A C Moore, I've seen the flyers in the newspaper, but not sure where the store is. But I'll wait until after my Etsy clips arrive. Lazy, I tell ya.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24