Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pigment black horsehide?

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Anyone have a good definition of it or knowledge of it? I have tried to find out, to no avail. Himel use it, as do Goodwear.

Wonder if it's like Aero's new black-brown.

Looks nice.

My understanding is that "pigment" is dyed all the way through (black both sides) and will stay black with wear. Pigment could also refer to a coating of black pigment (paint/ opaque) dye. "Teacore" is when they dye the top of brown leather with a coat of black. Teacore black will wear off to brown in areas, maybe even everywhere eventually. Aero's black-brown is a teacore style AFAIK.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
My understanding is that "pigment" is dyed all the way through (black both sides) and will stay black with wear. Pigment could also refer to a coating of black pigment (paint/ opaque) dye. "Teacore" is when they dye the top of brown leather with a coat of black. Teacore black will wear off to brown in areas, maybe even everywhere eventually. Aero's black-brown is a teacore style AFAIK.

Himel has a pigment black and a black wax.

When I google teacore the Wikipedia page points to a picture of @A-1 's DD Buco. :)
I do believe you summed it up correctly HM. Or at least what I'd be inclined to believe as well.

Reactions: A-1

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
My first Eastman Horse Fliegerjacke bought in 1990 was 100% Brown by 2015. Looked well aged actually , but no longer "Black as the night"

A leather treatment and a wipe on squeezy bottle of Kiwi " Kid's scuff" black shoe treatment self shining brought it back to looking like (almost) "new".

Brutal maybe , but effective.
A wax based formulation which nourishes , shines and provides water resistance.
( that's the quote from the bottle !)

We'll see how that goes over time.

We should do our own Leather Dictionary that explains terms simply (and with photos).
The Fedora Lounge Guide to Leather Terminology.
Would be very helpful for the world :)

That was an interresting link, but I'm not sure I understoood it.

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
So I read that link and it seems what I figured was fairly spot on. Pigment has a dye that is kinda like a paint. It can sometimes cover up certain characteristics of the hide but can patina fairly nice exposing parts of the hide as it wears away. Many types of Chromexel I believe are analine dyed so characteristics of the hide are not covered up during the dying process. The wax black I believe looks like it was finished with a solution that makes the hide look completely smooth. The dying process may or may not include the finishing process. I believe pigment black by Shinki just had the pigment dye finish on top and the rest of the hide is a natural brown. It creates that awesome brown on black patina as the finish wears off.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
So I read that link and it seems what I figured was fairly spot on. Pigment has a dye that is kinda like a paint. It can sometimes cover up certain characteristics of the hide but can patina fairly nice exposing parts of the hide as it wears away. Many types of Chromexel I believe are analine dyed so characteristics of the hide are not covered up during the dying process. The wax black I believe looks like it was finished with a solution that makes the hide look completely smooth. The dying process may or may not include the finishing process. I believe pigment black by Shinki just had the pigment dye finish on top and the rest of the hide is a natural brown. It creates that awesome brown on black patina as the finish wears off.

Yes, that would be a lovely hide. Asked the question of Himel but no response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael