Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pilot Chased German Fighter Under Eiffel Tower

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Haven't seen this beauty posted here.

The pilot who chased a German Me-109 under the Eiffel Tower in WWII died recently. This is quite a story and I'm surprised it doesn't receive more press or hasn't been recreated in any Hollywood film.

Berlin-Express-Z1.jpg

Read the story - what there is of it - at

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war...l-tower-chasing-german-aircraft-war-died.html

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
My father used to tell me stories of guys who flew P-51s and P-47s under the Arc de Triomphe after the liberation of Paris. They would roll their planes up on a wing tip just before going under. Later, I stood under the Arc and tried to imagine having enough cojones to do something like that...just for fun.

AF

alsendk

A-List Customer
When being a young man in 1940, my dad saw 3 german ME109 fly under the telephone poles in the north of Jutland Denmark. We were at that time being occupied by the german forces, and the airspace were entirely theirs to do risky things like this for fun. The measure from ground to the lowest hanging telephone lines were only about 6 metres = 19 american foot...not that much space.

Last edited:

archbury918

One of the Regulars
There were many USAAF pilots that claimed to pull this stunt especially just after the War.
There is one pilot who's number's were tracked down. He has the distinction of having the punishment documented in his 10-66 file...

Captain Nemo

Familiar Face
There were many USAAF pilots that claimed to pull this stunt especially just after the War.
There is one pilot who's number's were tracked down. He has the distinction of having the punishment documented in his 10-66 file...

All of the boasters notwithstanding, I wonder how many pilots have actually flown underneath the Eiffel Tower

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails