Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pink shirts...

griffer

Practically Family
I love my pinks-

I have several ties, bow and long, that are either mostly pink, or have significant pink in them. Heck, I've got a pink long tie with bunny rabbits on it. Another with little yellow daisies.

I have two pink shirts- a gingham french cuff ralph lauren and a charles tyhrwhitt french pink and green window pane on white.

I have a plaid pink pocket square with blue window panes and a blue plaid with pink window panes.

And yes, I walk over to the Thomas Pink store in Manhattan every once in a while and drool.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BellyTank said:
...had a Girl's name too-
It's highly improbable that Marion Morrison could have achieved the success of John Wayne. But then, the same could be said for many a Hollywood icon. Archibald Leach. :eusa_doh:

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
A real popular trend in the fifties was the 'charcol & pink' combo....on a lot of different things. I have number of c/p shirts and ties. But, heck, it even was a popular combo on the cars, too.

Nigel

One of the Regulars
I like pink shirts. I have a couple of Ralph Lauren Oxfords shirts in pink. I'm told they look good on me and never had adverse comments. Sorry I don't have any pics.

Trickeration

Practically Family
Quigley Brown is dead on. Pink shirts, ties and yes, socks too, were very popular in the fifties, as were pink and salmon colors for cars.

As for the uniform...
My husband got his commission shortly before his nephew's wedding and his mom really wanted him to wear his dress uniform to the wedding. He was fine in either a suit or the uniform, but especially didn't want to distract from the attention that should go to the bride and groom. In the end, he did wear his dress whites, but only after asking his nephew how he felt about it. The couple was quite excited about it though, and our nephew told us later that he had to control the urge to take Rob's sword and hack the cake in half with one swoop.

Rafter

Suspended
Quigley Brown said:
A real popular trend in the fifties was the 'charcol & pink' combo....on a lot of different things. I have number of c/p shirts and ties. But, heck, it even was a popular combo on the cars, too.
The pink/black as well as the turquoise/black combo was also big in 50's bowling shirts!!

50sbowlingshirts.jpg
50sbowlingshirts3.jpg

My father's cousin Tina had a pink Cadillac. Man, that was 50's ultra cool!!

178.jpg

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
First off Elvis rocked a pink caddy and also wore pink and black a lot and I believe brought it into popularity .

Pink and black is a cool color combo I dig it.

Pink and black ricky on the right with double "Puritan" collars.

250590185.jpg

Pink and black argyle ricky --- reversible to pink, along with deadstock black white and red argyle jacket.

250590187.jpg

White pink and black "Thunderbird" ricky on the top with matching grey pink and black "Thunderbird" underneath, and my rattlesnake ricky below that.

250590189.jpg

Dark Charcoal grey reversible to pink with pink white argyle on the dark side.
And pink argyle ricky diamond jacket with two others from my collection..

250595470.jpg

Don't be a square man..get hip.

Jerome--- Cheaters home for wayward argyle gabardine jackets.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
RL Pink Shirts

Nigel said:
I like pink shirts. I have a couple of Ralph Lauren Oxfords shirts in pink. I'm told they look good on me and never had adverse comments. Sorry I don't have any pics.

I was wearing one last night

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
Pink Dahlia said:
Cheater:
What a great collection! I love your shirts!

I haven't photo'd those yet ..those are just jackets ..got some pink peg pants too, Eddie Cochran style.

My point is if you were to wear vintage style, it would transcend any trendy-ness because there is an unmistakable look to it that no one could pin down.

Even when it's pink.

Jerome

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
IIRC it was the great Sugar Ray Robinson who had the first factory painted pink Cadillac ever sometime arond '52 or '53...at least according to his autobiography which I once read on a boring plane ride to Switzerland. He cruised it around Harlem where he owned a bunch of small businesses like barbershops and bakeries. Soon every hep pimp and cooley in the neighborhood were driving pink Caddies and Lincolns. And Mr. Jerome is too right, my cousins. Don't be a sad slumpy hound dog tail between his legs chained to his mommy daddy office desk slaving away for that big whipcracking ugly nasty machine: GET HIP!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Travis said:
Michael Corleone attended the wedding in uniform in the first Godfather movie if I remember correctly. Very cool in my book.

A. That's Hollywood.

B. It's not about 'cool'. (reading this over, that sounds snarky...but hopefully you get the idea)

C. According to AFI 36-2903 (Air Force Dress & Appearance regulations), a uniform is authorized during off-duty / unofficial business at military weddings, funerals, and parades or other military-related events. This wasn't a military wedding.

In short, despite the family's wishes, I had a perfectly valid excuse to not wear it(in fact, if I've got any sense of honor I won't violate regs), so, I put on the suit, hat, tie, and pink shirt. ...and pictures were taken a-plenty. As soon as they arrive via email I'll post them.

Edit: Another member made the point about taking attention away from the bride & groom...and I would have made a pretty big wave showing up in uniform. I actually matched the chosen color theme (peach) very well with my suit.

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
Checked the website.Marketing trash.

Absolute disgrace to the Lansky Bros. dept store name and what they became famous for, even if it is the original owners.

That sucked a lot..

Jerome

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The Color Purple!?

Years ago I was utterly appalled and aghast at the idea of wearing a pink shirt. But after a couple of years of arm twisting my wife got me to try one, and lo and behold, it looked pretty OK. Then she started working on me to wear PURPLE and LAVENDAR! And guess what? I found out that a purple shirt is not so bad! Who knew!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou