Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pinstripe coat w/solid color trousers

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
I don't know if this has been touched before in another thread but what does everyone think about wearing a pinstripe coat from a suit with a nice pair of solid colored trousers? Is this allowed, and does it look ok? Or is it a big no no?

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Personally, I don't do this.

There aren't hard and fast rules on anything, but I think trying to match a pinstripe JACKET to trousers is quite difficult, if not entirely impossible. Keep in mind, I'm not saying you can't match a pattern to a plain (see tweeds and trousers).

Now, to match pinstripe TROUSERS to a jacket may be a different matter...

Undertow

Feraud said:
That thread covers the acceptability of the look.

Yes it does, and I found it pretty informative. It actually changed my perspective on the practice (although I'm still hesitant). This topic doesn't come up often for me because I am a stickler about pairing things together, but I think a pinstripe jacket with white or grey pants could work well enough.

Note - white pants after labor day... :rolleyes:

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for everyones input. The reason why I asked is that I just bought a nice pinstriped 1940's coat on ebay. Its brown with grey pinstripes and I happen to have the same color grey on some vintage hollywood waist trousers. I thought it might pass; but I could be wrong. Sorry for no pics. Dropped my camera and broke. :(

Undertow

Johnny J said:
Thanks for everyones input. The reason why I asked is that I just bought a nice pinstriped 1940's coat on ebay. Its brown with grey pinstripes and I happen to have the same color grey on some vintage hollywood waist trousers. I thought it might pass; but I could be wrong. Sorry for no pics. Dropped my camera and broke. :(

Hey, that's alright. I encourage you to post pics when you have the chance and I think everyone could form a more accurate opinion. ;)

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Johnny J said:
I thought it might pass; but I could be wrong. Sorry for no pics. Dropped my camera and broke. :(

You'll never know until you try.

I have a double breasted sport coat that's an unusual blue slightly green color I like wearing with tan or brown slacks. I think it looks great,
the only photo I have of it is in the tan slacks, which are a modern cut, but it was for testing purposes.

here:
Screenshot2010-09-24at42828PM.png

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I think it looks good in flannel (see below) and maybe even linen but in a worsted..... not so much.

IMG_3037_edited-1.jpg

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
I had a few pinstriped suits back in the day that came with an extra pair of solid-color slacks. The slacks were pretty much the same color as the pinstripes. One of the suits included a reversable vest, pinstripes on one side and solid color same as the stripes on the other.

Basically one suit with two very different looks.

Undertow

Mr Vim said:
You'll never know until you try.

I have a double breasted sport coat that's an unusual blue slightly green color I like wearing with tan or brown slacks. I think it looks great,
the only photo I have of it is in the tan slacks, which are a modern cut, but it was for testing purposes.

here:
Screenshot2010-09-24at42828PM.png

I think that looks reasonable. I like the tie as well! Nice show!

What shoes did you wear with that? (or since it was a test, what shoes would you have worn?)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BanjoMerlin said:
I had a few pinstriped suits back in the day that came with an extra pair of solid-color slacks.
What year we talking about? And who was the maker and what was the pricepoint? Just curious.:)

Undertow

Mr Vim said:
I was wearing some saddle oxfords, black saddle, cordovan body.

Ah! I think that would be a sharp combo. BTW, I really like that tie. Okay, I give in - I've reconsidered mix-matching with pinstripe. I'll have to give it a shot some time.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Thanks Undertow, the tie I bought on eBay, I think the store was named eauctiondepot or something like that, they had quite a selection. It's impossible to find vintage anything in Juneau so it's all online shopping for me.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
So this is interesting... our conversation on this thread leads me to looking at a nice sport coat, charcoal with burgundy pinstripes and a more subtle tan stripe in between and I'm wondering... what color pants would I wear with that?

I was thinking a dark navy or matching charcoal but again in solid.
Any thoughts?

Torpedo

One Too Many
Mr Vim said:
So this is interesting... our conversation on this thread leads me to looking at a nice sport coat, charcoal with burgundy pinstripes and a more subtle tan stripe in between and I'm wondering... what color pants would I wear with that?

I was thinking a dark navy or matching charcoal but again in solid.
Any thoughts?

I vote for tan. I would not recommend any dark colours. The jacket overall look I understand to be dark, so dark trousers would not look right, you need to go for some contrast. Tan for the trousers would pick nicely on the tan pistripes (as would lighter burgundy trousers with burgundy pistripes, but that would be surely too flashy).

what shade is the charcoal? This, of course, will determine your choice of trousers. I wouldn't try to match the charcoal: fraught with danger.

I'm not a fan of an orphaned DB coat with a tie. The coat needs to be deformalised, in my opinion. Usually it really does look like one has lost one's trousers. Losing the tie, and maybe wearing a sport shirt, helps.

Maybe it's the tie, maybe it's the fact that he's being led into oblivion off the edge of a clearly unfinished sidewalk by a pair of begloved ladies in pencil skirts, but this doesn't work for me. he's screaming informality with the jacket/trousers, but is stuffed up in a white shirt, solid tie, and cufflinks (!). Is it Fairbanks, Sr.? Certainly looks smarmy enough …

IMG_3037_edited-1.jpg

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner