Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pinstripe coat w/solid color trousers

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Did you read the texts in Sears catalogs? They sold separates too. Often you can choose a general color but not always the pattern. It's a surprise! Aside from that they don't look different than parts of a suit.

Flat Foot Floey

I like notch lapels too. Peaks are just less common and therefore it's easier to recognize as a vintage style (like beltbacks). For me it's exactly the same value especially with sporty fabrics.

But of course I could use some SB Peaks...:D

A few weeks ago I came across a striped blue db jacket at the thrift store. It was a little short, but not unmanageably so, but I decided to pass on it because I couldn't track down the pants (annoying how the pants and jackets so often get separated at the thrifties around here, but that is another topic) and I figured the jacket just wouldn't do without the pants. After reading this thread, and seeing how amazing a blue striped jacket looks paired with cream or ivory trousers, I am kicking myself for not getting it.

BTW - Rabbit that jacket with the orange-y brown(?) stripes and buttons is phenomenal. Beautiful coat!!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, dh66, it is a beautiful coat. The color rendition in the pics is good, so yes, the lighter brown stripes have orange bits in them. You don't come across pinstripes like this every day.

Too bad about the orphaned jacket. On the other hand, navy pinstripe suits of that era do turn up with some regularity, so you might be better off waiting until you find a complete suit anyway.

I think we need a SB peak lapel club. :D
I'd apply for membership.

Flat Foot Floey

de.hr.cms.servlet.IMS.jpg
Harry Piel 1933
With tweed cap and grey flannels. How about that?

It's from the movie "ein Unsichtbarer geht durch die Stadt". At minute 2:00 you can see the outfit from the pic.
[video=youtube_share;OX7taco1joE]http://youtu.be/OX7taco1joE[/video]

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
This one is for Two Types.

This outfit was rather randomly put together within three minutes and consists of a mixture on several levels.
Early 30s German SB peak lapel jacket in charcoal grey with an interesting pinstripe: the wider stripes are woven so tighly as to add surface. Probably an orphaned suit jacket.
WWII officers' pinks with cuffs added - historical accuracy be damned, these cavalry twills are too good not to convert them into proper civvy trousers again!
1930s green silk tie.
The oxford shirt is modern, and so are the chestnut shoes with a dainite sole mounted on the leather (my rain wear shoes for the tailored stuff). The hat is a 5 3/4" x 2 3/8" VS Dove with 19 ligne black band. Socks are wool charcoal pin dots.

1H1Myj8.jpg

rCYzafm.jpg

PTr1l6Z.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
great jacket fabric. that raised texture is not something you'd find in many swatch books today (understatement).

You can say that again. Use this fabric pattern for a super-number worsted with even surface and you'll likely end up with a rather ugly cloth. Modern worsteds fabric books are full of those.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
If anyone still needs a "historical license" to combine odd striped DB suit coats with solid trousers:

1941 and 1942 the German periodical "Textile week" advertised these combinations.
The right one has a dark blue jacket with two-color stripes and lighter blue trousers.
The left one has white and red pinstripes per text.

Note that these were sold as such by ready-to-wear makers!

Textil%201.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21