Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pipe Smokers Unite!

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Question - how long do the tinned tobaccos generally last - assuming they're stored and closed properly?

As long as the tins are sealed and remain dry (rust-free), the will stay stable for decades. I find that the rectangular tins lose there seal far more easily than the circular ones. All of my tins are stored in individual freezer bags and then in a cool dry storage closet. Once any tin is opened, it should be smoked or resealed in a mason jar. The aging process ceases after oxygen hits it.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Y'know I really can't remember why I found it so objectionable at the time, one's tastes change I suppose. Locktown tells me they haven't made it in many a year so I doubt that I'll be trying any more anytime soon ;)

MP

Its wonderful. Very heavy on the oriental leaf, so there's a sour bitterness that underlines the smoky latakia. There are other blends with a similar taste, but Durbar really strikes something with me. Always has. The nearest flavor equivalent I have found is McClellands Oriental #8. Still not the same, however.

Thanks again, Mike!

Doublegun

Practically Family
Where, other than eBay, can one find vintage pipe stands? I am looking for a stand(s) with hunting/fishing themes and just posted a WTB in the Classified forum but any advice/direction would be appreciated.

Cheers,

JDG

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Where, other than eBay, can one find vintage pipe stands? I am looking for a stand(s) with hunting/fishing themes and just posted a WTB in the Classified forum but any advice/direction would be appreciated.

Cheers,

JDG

Just like hat hunting. Flea markets, second hand stores, thrift shops, yard sales......you know the drill. Good luck.
Tom D.

Will015

Familiar Face
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good general pipe forum. I've never smoked anything but a few cigars in my life but have placed an order for a new briar and a few tins from Cornell & Diehl and have been reading all kinds of newb pipe smoking articles.

I'd kinda like to find a place to just read some online banter and such. Somewhere with a friendly, respectable atmosphere a la the FL.

Thanks,
Will

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
Good luck with your search. There used to be tobacconists in the malls around here. They had such a wide variety of tobaccos and pipes. I had some briars and a meerschaum like Sherlock. I loved the smell of the place and all the manly accouterments they had for sale. Some tobaccos smell great while others are unspeakably disgusting!

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Pipe tobacco will keep indefinitely. If it is too dry put a slice of apple in it, it will become moist and fresh in a few days. By a slice of apple I mean 1/8 of an apple or so. It depends how much tobacco you have. I have also sprinkled whiskey over dry tobacco and left it for a few days.

Most tobacco you buy is too wet to smoke properly anyway.

I began smoking a pipe in the sixties and kept on until 2003 when I quit due to health.

If you are contemplating taking up pipe smoking. The strongest smelling tobaccos are often the mildest smoking and vice versa. I like a corn cob pipe for everyday, they are light, cheap, and they smoke cool. If you want to try a pipe they are a cheap way to begin. If your tobacco won't stay lit it is probably because it is too wet. Leave the package open overnight. You don't want it to go out all the time and you don't want it to go up like a bonfire. Myself, I like it a little on the dry side.

Don't smoke the same pipe all the time. It is best to change them every day. Clean your pipe and lay it aside for a few days. It helps to leave a pipe cleaner in it.

To break in a new pipe fill it less than half way, smoke, and let it cool. Then fill a little more etc. Do not get a new pipe too hot or it might crack. It takes time to build up a "cake" or coating of carbon inside. You should never scrape all the cake away when you clean a pipe. Some old pipe smokers left the cake so thick you could barely stick a cigarette in.

A pipe will smoke better and cooler with long use.

Well there is a little pipe lore for the beginner lol. Pipe smoking is a hobby with staying power. You can enjoy a pipe at any age. It is not the healthiest hobby but at least it is not as bad as cigarettes.

CPT/VSG

Familiar Face
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good general pipe forum. I've never smoked anything but a few cigars in my life but have placed an order for a new briar and a few tins from Cornell & Diehl and have been reading all kinds of newb pipe smoking articles.

I'd kinda like to find a place to just read some online banter and such. Somewhere with a friendly, respectable atmosphere a la the FL.

Thanks,
Will

Try Smokers' Forum. It's based in the UK but has mostly US members although there is a healthy mixture of pipe smokers from around the world. It's the most active pipe forum of which I am aware and consistently civil. http://www.smokersforums.co.uk

Just bought some new pipe tobacco today. Someone said they thought I'd like the packaging and they were right.

southern-steel%20New.gif

savoy6

New in Town
i find that the more aromatic tobaccos have more of a tendency to have more "bite" to them.....the coolest,easiest smoking stuff I've found is the standard Black Cavendish that is sold at rite-aid and other drug stores here in the 12 oz. bag.....usually around $14.....smells mild and smokes really cool......and it beats the $40 a carton for cigs..(which smell like crap to me,but then i've used a pipe since i was 12)....

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I own several pipes. A turkish meerschaum carved into a claw holding an egg, amber stem, a briar churchwarden from switzerland, a cheapy briar, and even a kiseru from japan along with japanese tobacco. I also made myself a kiseru inspired pipe from bamboo and .303 british casings, which can be seen here: http://nbvega.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d299b08 (made the tamper too, from a deer antler I scrounged working the fires of '03 in the okanagan)

Don't get to smoke quite as often as I might like; wifey doesn't let me smoke indoors and it's awfully cold out there!

KingTigerII

New in Town
Been smoking a Blend I picked up in Gettysburg called "General Buford" in unfiltered cigarette form recently.

While antiquing I had found a vintage Efka Acima Cigarette Roller and have been experimenting with rolling my own with pipe blends. Found that by using un-dried tobacco I achieve a longer burning cigarette that has a wonderful aroma with little to no bite (Much better than the unfiltered Camels I'd been puffing on).

Just thought I'd share.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner