Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pipe Smoking

Green Miller

New in Town
The Illinois statewide smoking ban starts Jan 1, 2008.

A number of my social cigar and pipe events will be dissolved because of it.

Like others who have posted, I enjoy an occasional pipe. Less occasionally a cigar. Pipes and cigars moreso in a social environment with friends. Never liked cigarettes.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I have been smoking my pipe for a while now. I light it up about 6 times a month. What is the best way to light it? Matches? lighter? I have a 'side lighter' that is made for pipes..

Chad

Chad Sanborn said:
I have been smoking my pipe for a while now. I light it up about 6 times a month. What is the best way to light it? Matches? lighter? I have a 'side lighter' that is made for pipes..

Chad

Big wooden kitchen matches that strike anywhere are the first thing I like to grab when lighting a pipe or a cigar. Sometimes I forget them and have to use either a pipe lighter as you described or regular wooden matches.
For me the wooden matches are the best. They impart no chemical residue to the tobacco. The bigger matches also keep your fingers from getting burnt as they take a while to get down that far--and a pipe might take 10-20 seconds just to get the first false light going.
I pass the match around the top of the tobacco to get an even light to all of the tobacco at the top after leveling it off.

:cool2:

CdnDandy

Familiar Face
Green Miller said:
The Illinois statewide smoking ban starts Jan 1, 2008.

A number of my social cigar and pipe events will be dissolved because of it.

Like others who have posted, I enjoy an occasional pipe. Less occasionally a cigar. Pipes and cigars moreso in a social environment with friends. Never liked cigarettes.

I feel your pain. Calgary and Airdrie (the cities I work and live in, respectively) have had non-smoking bylaws in place for a while, and the provincial ban goes into effect January 1, 2008. The only spot I smoke cigars anymore is with my father in his garage between halves of Monday Night Football.

What's Illinois say about private, members-only clubs being able to maintain a location where smoking would be allowed? I'm still trying to get a straight answer on that from my local representation. [huh]

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
CdnDandy said:
What's Illinois say about private, members-only clubs being able to maintain a location where smoking would be allowed? I'm still trying to get a straight answer on that from my local representation. [huh]

In my region in CA, there are at least 3 private cigar smoking clubs near me. One more club closed a couple years ago.

Bebop

Practically Family
Chad Sanborn said:

Chad

You will find that everyone has their favorite fire to light a pipe. I use a Corona Old Boy lighter that has a tamper that slides into the bottom of it when I am indoors and my trusty Zippo pipe lighter that I bought in 74' while in the military when I am outdoors. Many don't like to use Zippos because they claim they can taste the lighter fluid but I can't taste it at all. I don't use wooden matches because they often go out or after lighting, I am stuck with the match to get rid of.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
This is why we light a candle first. ;) You can relight the wooden match from the candle anytime you want to. Great to use along with one of those extra long fireplace matches and no waste after a few pipefuls. :D
I smoke a pipe, but only at living history events. It would be a bit odd to walk around holding a lit candle....lol :D :p lol :D :p

Joe_Frances

New in Town
I remember the days, not that long ago, say ten years or less, when I could smoke my pipe without fear of castigation or dismissal, at work, mostly in the afternoons. Now I hardly smoke my pipes at all. I would love to smoke a pipe and listen to music and read. It would really help calm my nerves driving in the insanity of NYC traffic. I think the smell of quality pipe tobacco is one of the most wonderful things a person can smell. That's why I am now into fragrances, as I miss the richness of pipe tobacco. In fact, I want to get some pipe tobacco fragrance, I know there are a couple of them out there. Anyway, i keep my Castello and other lovely pipes for someday....

Bebop

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
This is why we light a candle first. ;) You can relight the wooden match from the candle anytime you want to. Great to use along with one of those extra long fireplace matches and no waste after a few pipefuls. :D

That sounds like a nice ritual as long as you are home.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Chad Sanborn said:

Chad

I've got a modern Zippo pipe lighter and a Nimrod from the '50s, but my preference is wooden matches. I've also used burning coal from a blacksmith's forge and cinders from campfires. Think I'll stick with the matches.

eightbore

Suspended
Matches...

DEFINITELY matches. Lighters (of almost any sort) add an element of modernity to the pipe smoking ritual that seems to take something from it for me. [huh] I'm not quite this bad but I actually know pipe smokers who collect particular matches that they like...just in case their favorite brand is discontinued. :)

Bebop

Practically Family
scotrace said:
And it is QUITE strong!

Strong as in nicotine content or overpowering taste? Is this an english blend or more of an aromatic tobacco?

I like strong, english blends heavy with latakia and I am always willing to try what others consider "strong".

eightbore

Suspended
J.S.Udontknowme said:
I was thinking about ordering a tin, but I don't think I will now.:)

EMBRACE the strength....you may like it (said the smoker of Dunhill's Nightcap self-blended with a bit more Latakia and Perique).

:D :D :D

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
eightbore said:
EMBRACE the strenght....you may like it (said the smoker of Dunhill's Nightcap self-blended with a bit more Latakia and Perique).

:D :D :D
Nightcap is plenty strong for me. I usually smoke a bowl of it or Mississippi Mud every night. I smoke Frog Morton or Carter Hall during the day if I have time. I feel the same as you about aromatics.

Copper

One of the Regulars
CdnDandy said:
I feel your pain. Calgary and Airdrie (the cities I work and live in, respectively) have had non-smoking bylaws in place for a while, and the provincial ban goes into effect January 1, 2008. The only spot I smoke cigars anymore is with my father in his garage between halves of Monday Night Football.

There are private clubs able to provide a ppe and cigar smoking environment in the Calgary area... their strict adherence to the bylaws may be a bit suspect, but they seem to be carrying on at the moment.

Though it is on a hiatus at the moment (changing locations), there is a monthly pipe club in Calgary that has a reasonable following, where you can get together in a comfortable environment with a pipe, a dram of single malt, and some eccentric company.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy