Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pipes

bindibadgi

New in Town
Orgetorix said:
You can get a couple of ounces of bulk tobacco (enough for several bowls full) for just three or four dollars at some tobacconists' shops.

I wish that were true here. The only tobacconists I can find in Canberra (or anywhere within a 3 hour drive) sell VERY few pipe tobaccos, and often nothing else related to pipes at all! Also, the cheapest pipe tobacco here is $25 for 2oz!

The import tax on tobacco is about $150/lb if I recall correctly.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
bindibadgi said:
I wish that were true here. The only tobacconists I can find in Canberra (or anywhere within a 3 hour drive) sell VERY few pipe tobaccos, and often nothing else related to pipes at all! Also, the cheapest pipe tobacco here is $25 for 2oz!

The import tax on tobacco is about $150/lb if I recall correctly.

Good Lord. Sounds like someone needs to send you some tobacco seeds!

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
(straight pipes)

Tony in Tarzana said:
Really? My biggest problem with pipes is that horrid juice that collects in the stem, and a bent seems to do a better job of keeping it away from my mouth.

That might happen with both types, but with a bent, the juice will run down and wet the tobacco. Not only doesn't that improve its burning quality, it also conveys the juices horrid flavour to it. Straight pipes are much easier to clean, in particular when you're still smoking and like to dry the stem part.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
(straight pipes)

That might happen with both types, but with a bent, the juice will run down and wet the tobacco. Not only doesn't that improve its burning quality, it also conveys the juices horrid flavour to it. Straight pipes are much easier to clean, in particular when you're still smoking and like to dry the stem part.

An alternative is the Peterson System pipe, which has a reservoir in the stem where the nastyjuice collects so it neither runs into the mouth nor back into the bowl.

Illustration:

systempipekm6.jpg

petersonlowsu3.jpg

HLSheppard

Familiar Face
It's not hard to keep a pipe dry. You smoke SLOWLY and you smoke quality tobacco (not the heavily cased, aromatic stuff). That goop is a result of the excess moisture caused by the "topping" that gives it the "amaretto, vanilla, caramel, Magilla Gorilla flavoring... :rolleyes:

A nice latakia blend or a nice straight Virginia (slowly "sipped") will be almost no trouble at all. I can smoke some of my pipes for 90++ minutes while only using two (or less) pipe cleaners. Trust me, folks - it's not bragging - it's just practicing technique.

The Peterson pipes are only a "cover up" for the above mentioned technique issue. They are easy to clean, though. Pull them apart after the pipe has cooled and go to town with a pipe cleaner (folded in half works even better).

bindibadgi

New in Town
I've always wondered how you would clean a system pipe. It sounds like a nice idea though if it can in fact be cleaned. Anyone with experience of these beasts?

EDIT: Well, it seems I was out-posted! My question was being answered while I was asking it. How's that for super-efficient? ;)

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
scotrace said:
How do you get that nasty stuff out then?

Regular pipe cleaners.

In fact, I'm partial to Peterson pipes anyway. (Alright, I can't afford and never smoked a Dunhill, so I can't compare). The system pipes have another advantage, namely that they have "army mounts", which means you can take them apart and clean them right after you finished the pipe. Usually, you should wait until the pipe has cooled down well, so the briar doesn't crack when you disassemble it.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Excellent Thread

Another question: I see two differnt bit styles. One I think is called a "fishtail." It's plain. The other (I think that Peterson illustrated ^ has it) has a top raised area and a... well you pipe smokers will know what I mean. The latter type caused me to toss a pipe years ago because I could never just hold the thing between my teeth comfortably.

Why the two types, and which is best?

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
The fishtail mouthpiece is the "normal" one.

About the other one, sometimes called "P lip", I quote from here:

The Peterson Patent Lip Mouthpiece

The Peterson Lip further enhances the effectiveness of the graduated bore by directing the flow of smoke upwards and away from the tongue. This achieves a uniquely even distribution of smoke and virtually eliminates any chance of tongue-bite biterness. Furthermore, the shape is scientifically contoured so that the tongue rests comfortably in the depression under the opening. Each "P-lip" mouthpiece is made from superior quality vulcanite.​

Here's a picture:
Ustnik%20-%20prerez.GIF

I prefer those, but you'd best try both kinds. Shops usually have mini plastic bags for hygiene. I don't like acryl mouthpieces, which tend to be very hard. Vulcanite (hardened rubber) is softer. But others don't mind it's hard on your teeth and prefer acryl because it doesn't get bitemarks so easily.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
The fishtail mouthpiece is the "normal" one.

About the other one, sometimes called "P lip", I quote from here:

The Peterson Patent Lip Mouthpiece

The Peterson Lip further enhances the effectiveness of the graduated bore by directing the flow of smoke upwards and away from the tongue. This achieves a uniquely even distribution of smoke and virtually eliminates any chance of tongue-bite biterness. Furthermore, the shape is scientifically contoured so that the tongue rests comfortably in the depression under the opening. Each "P-lip" mouthpiece is made from superior quality vulcanite.​

Here's a picture:
Ustnik%20-%20prerez.GIF

I prefer those, but you'd best try both kinds. Shops usually have mini plastic bags for hygiene. I don't like acryl mouthpieces, which tend to be very hard. Vulcanite (hardened rubber) is softer. But others don't mind it's hard on your teeth and prefer acryl because it doesn't get bitemarks so easily.

I think that may actually be an illustration of an imitation p-lip stem by another company. On a true P-lip mouthpiece, the smoke hole is actually in the middle of the dome-shaped bit on top. I have one of these pipes, and I quite like it.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Orgetorix said:
I think that may actually be an illustration of an imitation p-lip stem by another company. On a true P-lip mouthpiece, the smoke hole is actually in the middle of the dome-shaped bit on top. I have one of these pipes, and I quite like it.

You're right. I didn't pay attention to that - it was the only picture I could find on the 'net.

indyjim

Familiar Face
I own 1 Dunhill pipe. I purchased it from an estate for $90.00. Considering the pipe new cost $360.00, I got a deal. Take my word for it, it is a fine pipe, a superb piece of briar, flawless. I do have other pipes that also smoke well,
(my current collection contains about 80+ pipes) some of them original purchases when I began smoking a pipe about 38 years ago. I have some fine pipes that didn't cost anywhere near the price of the Dunhill, (Savinellis and Petersons come immediately to mind) But my experience over the years confirmed that you generally will get what you pay for. Absolutely possible to get a fine pipe for a few bucks but your chances increase greatly if you know
what you are looking for and spend a little more. I've had a few expensive tongue biters as well, but not too many.
As far as cleaning the "well" in the Petersons, I used a paper kleenex or piece of toilet paper, shoved into the well, very absorbent and works very well. Then a regular pipe cleaner through the stem. A lot of the moisture that plagues pipe smokers, particularly novice smokers, is from saliva that works its way down the stem. Eventually, with experience, you will learn to control that. Some of it is also caused by the gylcerin that is used to keep tobacco "fresh", as well as the flavorings. I always felt the heavily flavored blends tended to smoke hot. Some of that is also due to the individual's smoking habits. If you cannot hold your pipe comfortably in your hand while smoking, you are either puffing too hard or packing the tobacco incorrectly. Easy does it, and tamp frequently. I think the biggest mistake a lot of pippe smokers make is failing to tamp the tobacco while smoking. It eliminates a lot of air space and, again, keeps the pipe cooler and you puffing easier.
Oh, did I forget to mention, I used to own a pipe and cigar shop, but that was years ago.:D

JeffOYB

Vendor
I'm a pipe buff, but you don't have to go hog wild to be a pipe buff. The rules of piping are: do what you like. I find that I smoke a bowl a week. I have the stuff out and it smells good just being out. Might as well just call it 'puffing' instead of smoking. It's just not the same as a cig, is it. You light or stop as you like. I find that $3 worth of tobaccy lasts a month almost. It's hard to go wrong. You can relight, too. (I do like a fine cigar, though.) If you don't inhale and puff only occasionally (not over an hour a day) they say there's no medical info indicating harm. (I googled for hours once and came up empty.) The variety of tobaccos is like wine. The buffs are even into vintages. I have a dozen packets in mason jars and can puff depending on mood. What classic fun! Oh and I wrote an essay about it all at: http://outyourbackdoor.com/article.php?id=611.

Interestingly the two pipes I have were given to me, both rather out of the blue.

--Jeff Potter

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
Nah..I'm laying off the "backa" for the time being. I quit smoking two years ago, and I'm just not ready yet. Someday maybe I'll take a cruise or something and enjoy a nice cigar...someday:)

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I've been a pipe smoker for about 7 years now. I now use a Dr Grabow pipe that I picked up when I was last in Madison, nice feel in the hand. With my favourite tobacco "Black and Brown" it makes a pleasant smoke.

Another tobacco that's quite popular over here is one called "American Delight".

I really enjoy pipe smoking and seem to get a less negative response from people. There nothing quite like smoking a pipe and doing some writing I can see why so many authors indulged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy