Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pit to Pit

mygar

A-List Customer
Quick question folks. When measuring Pit to Pit... is any of the side panel included... or is it from seam to seam? Many thanks

The dogs bollocks

Familiar Face
It’s potentially misleading though...eg the depth of arm hole can alter the pot to pot measurement. It’s a very rough guide and that’s it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

CBI

One Too Many
I would not say misleading as I believe that is the industry standard for Pit ti Pit measurements for garments along with measuring front and back, adding the two then dividing in half. Sure, there are some jackets where significant armhole depth can make a difference, but to be noted when measuring and listing...............

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Side panels (1/2) should be included.
Stretch the zipped jacket tight, and measure all the way across into the side panels.

This is what I've always done.

I'd say perhaps misleading isn't the best word but yes, its no guarantee of fit.

Given the differences in the body of the individual and how much difference the cut of a garment can have combined with that then such measurements can only ever be a guide.

I mean personally I've got jackets with pit to pit measurements which I would not expect to fit me as t-shirts, yet they fit fine and at the same time I've sold jackets which have felt too snug with pit to pit measurements that are 2"-3" larger than I normally would wear.

GW KY

Practically Family
so even if a jacket has all the perfect measurable, there is a chance it may not fit?

Powerband

Practically Family
so even if a jacket has all the perfect measurable, there is a chance it may not fit?

There’s a low probability of that, but I’ve never had a jacket with the correct measurements that didn’t fit. All my jackets extending back over a decade and a half may “feel” different from each other, but going by their specs have always allowed them to fit and appear fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

download.jpg

download_3.jpg

download_1.jpg

download_2.jpg

CBI

One Too Many
Yes, the cut of the jacket can change things. Another point is most people don't measure correctly!!!!!!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
If done correctly, the p2p, both front and back should be the same, so no reason to take the measurement of both and divide by two. I don't see a need to over complicate it. Or am I missing something?

Yes, it is quite simple. Lay it flat and measure across. Any side panels with be included in the measurement.

Powerband

Practically Family
I would think the best way is to lay flat and measure edge-to-edge of jacket at arm pits, no matter the cut of panels or size of arm holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mygar

A-List Customer
Thank you for all your replies. Looking at above, you can see why i posed this question.

Depending how i measure my CR i can get 21.5 to 23.5. So, obviously big difference there.

I recently purchased a jacket off ebay... of which the p to p conflicts greatly with what the mfr posts online. Now, this could be a custom fit jacket, or a measurement error. I did notice the previous owner showed a pic of an incorrect shoulder to shoulder measurement. Did not include p to p tho.

Hope it fits... lol... or you may see this for sale soon

Thank you for all your replies. Looking at above, you can see why i posed this question.

Depending how i measure my CR i can get 21.5 to 23.5. So, obviously big difference there.

I recently purchased a jacket off ebay... of which the p to p conflicts greatly with what the mfr posts online. Now, this could be a custom fit jacket, or a measurement error. I did notice the previous owner showed a pic of an incorrect shoulder to shoulder measurement. Did not include p to p tho.

Hope it fits... lol... or you may see this for sale soon

Just lay the jacket on the flat surface, stretch it under the arms as much as you can and measure the distance between where the sleeve seam connects to the body of the jacket. Like on the photo I posted, just don't measure the side seams or nothing because that doesn't mean anything. The side seams could be literally anywhere and it doesn't represent the P2P width.

Measure the jacket at the widest point (which is at the armpits) and you'll get the only relevant information that way. Anything else is wrong and misleading.

Don't worry about the shoulder width. Stu of LW says that doesn't even exist and I tend to agree.

mygar

A-List Customer
Just lay the jacket on the flat surface, stretch it under the arms as much as you can and measure the distance between where the sleeve seam connects to the body of the jacket. Like on the photo I posted, just don't measure the side seams or nothing because that doesn't mean anything. The side seams could be literally anywhere and it doesn't represent the P2P width.

Measure the jacket at the widest point (which is at the armpits) and you'll get the only relevant information that way. Anything else is wrong and misleading.

Don't worry about the shoulder width. Stu of LW says that doesn't even exist and I tend to agree.

Yep that makes sense. Will do tonight. I get this other jacket coming in tonight. Be interestingr if it fits!

Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner