Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Place for dance lessons in San Diego

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
The subject line about covers it. After attempting to dance at the Queen Mary, and watching people who actually could dance, I've decided that this might be a good way to spend my free time.

Does anyone have any recommendations for lessons down in this area?

Mike

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
No partner needed! You rotate all through the lessons. I took the balboa lessons alone. Sometimes the girls have to sit one or two out, but they're always game for more guys there!

Snookie

Practically Family
Nate and Tertia have classes down in SD, too. It looks like they have new classes starting on Thursday THIS WEEK! And Sunday classes starting on December 10. They're really nice and really great dancers. http://www.bal-swing-boogie.com/lessons.html

Also, Google "San Diego Swing" for websites that list all the dances that go on throughout the week. Most should offer lessons at the beginning of the dance. (Going to dances is better than taking lessons, anyway!) If you're really excited, check out http://www.rhythmicarts.com for the biggest Swing New Year's Party.

And Lauren's right, you shouldn't need a partner. I didn't have a partner for years, until I met my husband.

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
Since I'm starting with a rather blank slate and need to start simple, what would you folks recommend as a good dance to start with?

thetankw/ahat said:
looks like fun. which one you guys planning on going to?
My work schedule actually has me out of state for part of this month. I'm not looking to do anything until January, but I want to start lining this up now.

Mike

Snookie

Practically Family
I recommend starting with either East Coast swing (AKA Jitterbug or 6-count Swing) or Lindy Hop. Balboa is really fun, but it's a dance of nuances, so it's better to have experience first (especially as a lead). Lindy Hop was 30's/40's, East Coast developed in the 50's. East Coast is a little easier, b/c it's only 6-count moves, and Lindy combines 6 and 8 count moves, but Lindy is much more exciting.

thetankw/ahat

Familiar Face
the adult ed classes can sometimes be hard to get to for people living in certain areas of the city. i've looked into it and most of the dance classes offered by continuing ed only happen at one of the buildings and thats out by lemon grove. although if you can make it to the continuing ed building where its offered then its free.

IlsaLund

One of the Regulars
Lauren said:
I have taken a few lesson series from Jim and Margie- they teach both in Encinitas and in San Diego- I took basic Lindy and basic Balboa from them (balboa is by far my favorite!) and I really recommend them. They're fun and really helpful! Here's their site:
http://www.2togroove.com/FramesStart.htm

I vouch for this couple as well. I did a few of the workshops with them at the dance-a-thon, and they were fantastic.

Adult Education

thetankw/ahat said:
the adult ed classes can sometimes be hard to get to for people living in certain areas of the city. i've looked into it and most of the dance classes offered by continuing ed only happen at one of the buildings and thats out by lemon grove. although if you can make it to the continuing ed building where its offered then its free.
This is proof that anything offered free from the government has it cost!

Up in Pasadena there are 2 sisters that offer dance classes for a relatively minimal amount. Mambo!

John

DocBob345

Familiar Face
Chicago

Does anyone stopping in the thread happen to know of anything like this in Chicago? Sorry to be off-topic location. Not trying to hijack a thread!

Best,
Robert

katiepickle

New in Town
I took some Balboa lessons in the Veteran's museum in Balboa Park (an apt location, I think) with Allison and Joel Plys. They run 2 Ply Swing (the website is escaping me just now, but I think that you can just google it). Very cool to hang out in the museum on breaks. I only took one class with them, I didn't really care for Balboa, myself, but I think that they do other classes as well and they also hold few dances for all of their students.

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
Well, I just took my first jitterbug lesson tonight and I had a great time. The quick lesson I had at the Queen Mary was definately a help in picking this up, but wasn't needed. I think that if we had done the jitterbug on the QM that would have been a whole lot more fun because it is definately easier to pick up... that darn triple step killed me.

Looking forward for the next class and hoping that they all go as smoothly. Then it will be time to sign up for another and then another and then another... I'll be dancing like Fred Astaire in no time flat :rolleyes:

Next year on the QM, I'll actually be able to dance with all the pretty ladies and not just move around on the dance floor or just watch.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen