Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plaid Trousers and Matching Vest - Interesting Combo c. 1870

Warbaby

One Too Many
This is a bit early for the clothing we wear, but it's an interesting look that I've never seen before. I like his bowtie as well...

PlaidSuit1870s.jpg

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I could be wrong by I think that this look was worn more by "sporting men" than gentlemen. I can't imagine a mid to upper class person wearing checked trousers and vest.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
No actually my husband did some research on this recently and plaid trouser were the thing in fact I think the would often wear a patterned brocade vest with their plaid pants. I will have to check with him for more accurate dating though.

norton

One of the Regulars
The photo looks like its from a German source. Could be styles were different in continental Europe?

Qirrel

Practically Family
For the 1870s this was quite common. Less so if it had been the 1890s to 1910, because then he would probably not be wearing a frock coat, but a regular suit coat. Here is a fashion plate (1878), showing a suit in a hefty plaid design:

1878fashion-lg.gif

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
It's a very common look in the period 1850 to 1870; plaids were quite popular, perhaps as part of the whole Scottish thing that Victoria started with her trips to Balmoral, Sir W. Scott, etc. Whatever the genesis of the plaid fixation, the matching trowsers and waistcoat look is, I believe, a holdover from the 18C division of male outer clothing groups into "small clothes" (i.e., vest and breeches/trowsers) and "coat"....

"Skeet"

Edward

Bartender
I am amazed by the dog in the photo. Seen dolls before but not dogs.

Maybe it's trained, or asleep..... or stuffed. :p

It's a very common look in the period 1850 to 1870; plaids were quite popular, perhaps as part of the whole Scottish thing that Victoria started with her trips to Balmoral, Sir W. Scott, etc. Whatever the genesis of the plaid fixation, the matching trowsers and waistcoat look is, I believe, a holdover from the 18C division of male outer clothing groups into "small clothes" (i.e., vest and breeches/trowsers) and "coat"....

"Skeet"

It's certainly the case that what we now think of a tartan (as well as most elements of Highland Dress in the modern period) were created by the Victorians (in particular the Victorian Anglo-Scottish). That was the period when 'Scottishness' was allowed to reassert itself, the bagpipes (and, if memory serves the kilt) among other things having been banned following Culloden and the Highland clearances. This was, of course, the same period in which the Anglo-Irish gentry kick started the Gaelic Revival on the Emerald Isle, with great benefits to literature (Lady Gregory's English translation of the Ulster Cycle is one example from this period).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda