Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plaid Wool Mackinaws

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Beat up, but should be serviceable for the coming winter at school. The price was right, too, at $10 for the coat, pants and matching hunting cap.

_1248065982934.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It came today- a couple tears with old repairs, a bit of a wool and woodsmoke smell, but nothing a bit of cleaning and time with a needle can't fix. For ten bucks, I got myself a heck of a practical jacket. The pants even fit, though I don't know if I'll ever have occasion to wear them.

IMG_2356.jpg

mattfink

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
I've posted them here before-
this is my fave-

pmac4.jpg

But strangely, most here seem to think they're not so cool...

B
T

Tough looking jacket at a good price. I wonder if they would make it in black or dark navy blue.

Here's a plaid original that i've got up in the Classifieds right now. In really very very nice condition. It's massive size 45-46.

Mackinaw1.jpg

Mackinaw2.jpg

Mackinaw3.jpg

This shows the buckle and the damage to the belt where it feeds through the buckle.

Mackinaw4.jpg

Mackinaw5.jpg

Detail of the belted back area. There are 4 pleats up above the belt. Nice detail.

Mackinaw6.jpg

Mackinaw7.jpg

Mackinaw8.jpg

bk

mike

Call Me a Cab
Killer-goriller! What would those norfolk-like straps be called that come down on the front chest?

mike

Call Me a Cab
Sorry these are as dark as they are... BUT what you've got here is an original vintage shawl collared, standard issue railroad jacket. I'm not 100% sure of the exact time these started or finished being produced, certainly 20's if not way before through possibly 50's...?

It is unlined, but made of such thick, heavy wool that it can withstand virtually any weather. The 4 external pockets are lined with horsehide and there are segments of horsehide on the inner sleeves and thinly around the outer cuff. It is beltedback with no pleats.

DSCN0901.jpg

DSCN0902.jpg

DSCN0900.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
BellyTank said:
That's a nice one, Mike-
Reminds me of the one I want to buy from River Junction.

http://www.riverjunction.com/catalog/ccoats/mackinaw.html

B
T

Thanks! I'd love to check out one of those River Junction ones in person. I know Will mentioned they were pretty heavy, but this original coat is MAJORLY warm! Several Japanese companies have made a version of this one. But I can't imagine they are really intended for zero degree weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff