Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Playboys on Parade!

tommyK

One Too Many
Looks fantastic, Rick! A little earlier than mine, I think? And a wind trolley to boot! Seems some have them, some don't. Very unique sweatband attachment as well.

Some of my 40's hats have the oil silk on the tip liner and some don't have anything. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with price either, I've got a Royal with it and a Twenty without.

Last edited:

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Tommy, the sweatband is unreeded, so I'm guessing it's from the 1940s. Maybe some Stetson expert out there will know. Those Stetson Playboys are great hats, aren't they?

photogravity

One of the Regulars
There are some wonderful Playboys in this thread. I have one that is not so wonderful, but is different from nearly I've seen in this thread so far.

These are the differences I've spied so far:

• The liner says "No. 1. Quality"
  • Playboy embossing is on the front of the sweatband.
  • Material is 3x Beaver (Perhaps others were also, but just didn't have it on the sweat)

As far as condition of the hat, the leather on the sweatband is still soft and supple and there are no not larvae nibbles on the felt but there is a tear on the ribbon. The felt is among the nicest I've encountered on a Stetson though, admittedly, I've probably handled more Knox hats than I have Stetsons and in my estimation find the Knox felt to be of better quality. I purchased this hat off eBay and was very surprised, not to mention happy, that I was the sole bidder.

Anyone have any theories on the age of this hat? I'm guessing 1960s. Also, has anyone seen one quite like this one? I'm guessing there are others similar, but my search of the forum have come up empty so far.

Stetson Playboy - 1 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Stetson Playboy - 2 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Stetson Playboy - 3 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Stetson Playboy - 4 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Stetson Playboy - 5 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

wcbrown

One of the Regulars
View attachment 33719

Northwest Hats "Playboy" I ordered. I love these hats, fantastic work by Mike.

Attachments

• 20150623_141850.jpg
    20150623_141850.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 175
  • pbl.jpg
    pbl.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 20150623_142000.jpg
    20150623_142000.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Anyone have any theories on the age of this hat? I'm guessing 1960s. Also, has anyone seen one quite like this one? I'm guessing there are others similar, but my search of the forum have come up empty so far.

The parts are contradictory - my guess is they were scavenged from different hats and combined. I have no idea what originally went with the hat body.

photogravity

One of the Regulars
Alan, I think there is some merit to your theory, at least regarding the liner. It is glued in and is placed crooked inside the hat. The sweatband and ribbon look original to my untrained eye. Has anyone seen other examples of sweatbands like this where Playboy is at the front and made with 3X Beaver?

wcbrown

One of the Regulars
Wow, WC, that's a really beautiful hat you got! Congratulations to you, and well done NW Hats! What are the specs (felt color, ribbon color, brim width), if you don't mind?

Thank you very much, but i have to admit i copied it off of Che (pg. 30), i just changed some things...... color, ribbon. the specs: 6" crown, 2 1/8 brim, 1 1/2" ribbon and Whisky Beaver. Mike also did one line of stitching 1/4" inch in from the raw edge. Mike does amazing work, i hope to be seeing more of his stuff down the road!

Last edited:
Alan, I think there is some merit to your theory, at least regarding the liner. It is glued in and is placed crooked inside the hat. The sweatband and ribbon look original to my untrained eye. Has anyone seen other examples of sweatbands like this where Playboy is at the front and made with 3X Beaver?

The liner is from a 1950s or later reiteration of the No.1 Quality western. The ribbon bow is the type used in the 1950s Whippet. The hat brim might have been modified to a narrower profile (2"?) at a later time. The Playboy may well have been sold by Stetson at the 3X price point in the 1960s. I am not very familiar with Stetson hats from this period.

40Cal

One Too Many
I found this under a pile of jeans (in it's box) at the back of a vintage clothing store. I saw the box and asked the owner if there was a hat in it? Boy o boy was there ever! Looked unworn to me....I think I was the first to put a crease in it.
playboy_zpsskivqshw.jpg

playboy4_zpsxez3etwi.jpg

playboy2_zps885u84rh.jpg

40Cal

One Too Many
Pretty amazing story. Guess these type of things really do happen. Such a nice light color. Beautiful hat.

Thanks Bob, The store owner said they had been using the hatbox as part of their display for a few months and I was the first to ask if it had a hat in it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot