Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please disect this suit

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
I just wanted to come back to this thread if you all don't mind.

If any of you get a second, do you think you could post some pics of vintage next to modern so we (I) can see the differences side by side?

I also wanted to answer your questions Root. I live in Calgary. The most redneck, oil crazy, non-cultured province in all of Canada. In the east (montreal) and West (Vancouver) there is a much better culture. Not only that, but movies are filmed in Vancouver, so there are always ways of getting vintage suits. Unfortunately, I no longer live in Vancouver, and all my "connections" moved away.

Here in Calgary there are a LOT of second hand suits. The problem with them are that many of the Thrift stores separate the pants and jackets, so if you find an amazing jacket, the pants were sold long ago.

Also, about 99% of the suits are Canadian made. This is automatically a problem because they don't have the same cultural background in many ways. Sure, the 40's where the 40's, but this is still Canada, and well...things are always a little odd here.

There are the odd Italian, Austrian, and Chinese suits that I have ran into, but, like the Canadian suits, almost all of them are from 1960+.

There are a few (As in about 4) Vintage stores here. But they mostly deal in Womans clothing, and have very little in the way of suits. Not only that, but aside from one place, if you go in asking for 40's style suits, they treat you like crap for some reason or another...almost a smuggness like, why would I be asking such a stupid question.

So that's basically the delema I face here. Not a lot of choice in style, size, or price.

So where does that leave me? Well, quite frankly frustrated. I usually enjoy this type of thing, but with so much of the same, and not even spotting a vintage suit (regardless if it fits me or not) is driving me nuts. As you may have seen in my other post I am on the look out for something formal for a wedding coming up very soon.

So I guess, this is more of a vent post, than a question post. What I am thinking of doing, (if some of you are willing to help) is hitting the Thrift stores with my Digital Camera. Sure, they will think I am a freak, and probably ask me to leave, but I can get a bunch of pics of the suits available here that I think are cool, and you guys can give me the "yay" or "Nay" as you see fit. This way, while I may miss out on some, I should get a really solid understanding of what I have to work with here.

Thanks for taking the time to read this rant! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo