Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plus Size Vintage

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rosie said:
Lauren, thanks for the tip on WoodLand Farms, more patterns for me!

wpt23717fmailorder3357.jpg

Oh, Ive ordered from them. The lady is super nice.

LD

absynth

New in Town
olive bleu said:
HI... welcome to a fellow Canadian!(although clear across the country)I am also a "stout Gal" and sruggle with shopping for vintage clothes. just to address a couple of points,...it DOES seem that the majority of allthe great stores online are American, which does make it a bit more expensive for us. I personally just bite the bullet & do it. I have not tried any online vintage shopping yet, although i just signed on to e-bay, but i have been buying from L.L. Bean & Land's End for years. I have gotten to know how their sizes run, so i rarely have to send anything back.I guess that would be my advice is to find a couple places you love that are dependable.Generally i buy good quality coats & boots new & buy second hand for most other things. I save the online shopping for things that are really exquisite and not for things that i can get anywhere.I do spend a lot in shipping/exchange costs.As for the sizes, i generally find that the U.S. sizes are 1 size below ours( ex: I wear size 16 canadian, but fit size 14 american:) ).As for local vintage shopping... i can only say you have to go alot!Stuff does get snatched up and I just have 1 or 2 favourites that i hit at least once a week.and you have to try on a lot of clothes to find 1 or 2 things that really work.OHH.. but it is so worth it when you can hang that perfect dress in your closet and feel gorgeous everytime you put it on!
Olive Bleu

Hi nice to meet you. I usually never really looked at vintage stores because I figured that what was the point, they probably only carry tiny stuff, but now I am going to give it a try. I will try to buy something online eventually, I just hate the unknown factor! It's hard enough to get things that fit correctly when you are actually able to try them on, but to just order something and hope that it fits, just makes the irish/scottish parts of me cringe....lol

Elaina

One Too Many
As to the question of McCall's 5059, it should be fairly easy to sew. I don't wear vintage, I do vintage inspired. The 6 great looks one easy pattern are usually good places to start, there's only one or two areas that are more advanced then straight lines.

cherrybombrandy

New in Town
I'm having the same problem right now. i can't sew to save my life, despite my many attempts. I use eBay a LOT, and Torrid has some cute stuff occasionally. I wish i could shop at igigi and alight and things like that, but alas i can't afford it most of the time. but if anyone knows of any affordable options, i'm all ears!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
cherrybombrandy said:
I'm having the same problem right now. i can't sew to save my life, despite my many attempts. I use eBay a LOT, and Torrid has some cute stuff occasionally. I wish i could shop at igigi and alight and things like that, but alas i can't afford it most of the time. but if anyone knows of any affordable options, i'm all ears!

Macy's
They have crazzzzzzy sales ongoing and you can get some nice VI things there.

LD

GOK

One Too Many
Ok I don't know how relevant or helpful the following will be but a couple of chums of mine posted these links for plus sized vintage-style clothing over on Bernie Dexter's forum:

For those of us that are about 5'1"-5'5" and have more curves than most designers know what to do with here is a montage of info for ya!!!

Try these WKD items http://www.whatkatiedid.com
30" Underbust Girdle Very high waisted and flattens the tummy with out making it so you can't sit!
38D L3003 Power Lace Corselette I love the all in one, sooo comfortable and long wearing as well! I fill the D cups and then some! However it is not a small D, it just gives you great cleavage with out turning your points down if you know what I mean... ;-)

Then there is Cameo cameo-intimates.com
up to 40DD Cameo Lace Dream Bullet Brassiere
up to 40DD Cameo Luscious Belle Bullet Bra & Panty Set
up to 42DD Cameo Polka-Demi Brassiere
up to 42DD Cameo Polka Dot S-t-r-e-t-c-h Bullet Bra!
up to 40 waist Cameo Polka Dot Garter belt (suspender belt)

As for stockings you can get the large to extra large FF from WKD
I would only go for the real Fully Fashioned Stockings as the others can be very unforgiving when stretched out for width instead of length.
When I put my stockings on I gather the whole stocking up to put my toes in but before I do I gently tug the opening a few times to help stretch the nylons for width (it just moves the weave a bit it doesn't actually stretch).

Dresses from Stop Staring http://stopstaringclothing.com and http://www.daddyos.com/retro/dresses.html ( as a rule I go bigger on the stretch velour than others)
Large- Stop Staring Starlet Rose Dress
large- NWBTY-02
large- B. Holiday Dress
XL - Stop Staring Fitted Navy Polka Dot Dress
XL- Stop Staring Pinup Dress

Mode Merr also has a lot of stretch stuff in reasonable sizes.
sizechart

Happy Shopping!!!

Hope these are of some use. :D

absynth

New in Town
GOK said:
Ok I don't know how relevant or helpful the following will be but a couple of chums of mine posted these links for plus sized vintage-style clothing over on Bernie Dexter's forum:

Hope these are of some use. :D
GOK
Thank you so much for the suggestions, I have been finding all of these great stores to look at and I am really considering buying a few things, but it will have to wait for some money to be available first. I really appreciate all of the great ideas. Thanks again!!:)

Kim_B

Practically Family
Those dresses are really pretty!! Why can't all plus-sized clothing be as flattering and pretty as that!? I like that you can select your body type and they will show you what would look best.

This is a bit off the topic of vintage clothing - but you know what gets my goat? Designers who feel a size 12 is plus sized...and then use models who look like they wear a size 8-10! And also, why do plus-sized clothes always look like frumpy dressing gowns? At least some designers are coming around and making clothing lines that are a little better looking than they used to. (This has nothing to do with the links or website you posted...I'm just in a venting mood...I haven't had any chocolate yet today...hehehe)

I have the hardest time buying clothing...tops have to be extra roomy because I'm a busty gal, sleeves have to have large enough openings for my chubby little arms to fit through; bottoms have to be roomy enough in the thighs/hips but if I get them to fit strictly on that basis, they are often times too large around the waist. And don't even get me started on lengths of pants...I'm short (5'3" on a good day) but petite pants are too short, regular pants are too long. I feel like a freak half the time I shop!! I have a hard enough time finding modern-day clothing that fits, and an even harder time finding vintage clothing that fits properly. *sigh*

I wish I had the resources to teach myself how to sew...there aren't very many places around here to learn, without driving an hour out of the way. I'm asking for a very basic sewing machine for Christmas in order to get started...maybe Santa will come through for me!!

absynth

New in Town
texasgirl said:
I saw this plus-size website mentioned in Oprah magazine. They had a couple dresses for the holidays that were vintage-inspired.

http://www.zaftique.com

dress1.jpg

dress2.jpg

Hey Texas Girl
Thanks for the info, I am going to go and take a look right now. Although I am sure that they will be too much money, I will still take a look around. Thanks again. :eusa_clap

absynth

New in Town
texasgirl said:
I saw this plus-size website mentioned in Oprah magazine. They had a couple dresses for the holidays that were vintage-inspired.

http://www.zaftique.com

dress1.jpg

dress2.jpg

Hey Texas Girl
( not in reference that you did anything, but just to let you know.)
I was so excited when I saw the website, i actually found about 5 dresses that I would have liked to buy, until I went to the shipping info and found out that if you wanted to order for Canada you had to have a minimum of $300 before taxes order. What the HE--:rage: That sucks! Why can't I just order one thing to try out????What a jip!:(

Rosie

One Too Many
Just a warning about zaftique, a few ladies that I know have had a HORRIBLE time with them. They recently changed owners and apparently, the new one is not as good as the former owner. Not only that, but I had a friend order a shirt that was described as 100% cotton, when she received it, it was polyester and when she complained, she was told the owner cannot guarnatee that the fibers stated online are the actual fibers used in construction of the outfit. Bearing this in mind, order at your own risk.

Also, that pre tax buying for Canada is ridiculous. Sorry ladies. :(

Viviene

Vendor
Question for the larger size ladies...

I'd like your opinion on how you like to see larger sized clothing displayed for sale (vintage or not). Do you like seeing the items on a larger size model to get a good idea of how the item may look on you? Do you prefer the item displayed on a mannequin (which may necessitate the clothing being clipped back)? Do you prefer to see it on a hanger?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Viviene

Kim_B

Practically Family
I think showing the clothing on the appropriate sized model is a wonderful idea, but if such a person isn't available, I'd be ok with a mannequin, so long as you state that the clothing is clipped back...hangers don't do much for me - I like to see how the garment lays before I decide to buy it...YMMV, naturally.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I rarely go by size in anything. Depending on the cut, I can fit a 14 to a 20 [huh] So I like to see how items hang on hangers. I always have a tape measure with me too, becuse I hate trying on things at stores.

I do like seeing the plus size mannequins tho, as Kim-B said :)

LD

Nightshade

New in Town
I think I prefer on a maniquin, preferably plus size, so that I can see where it goes in at or how it hangs. And with vintage, you can easily spot any defects and where they'll sit. I tend to not see things as easily if they are flat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran