Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Square + Boutonniere

Bugsy

One Too Many
Be daring and wear both. I do.

cufflinkmaniac said:
This is the black tie look that I ultimately hope to achieve, but I have heard that wearing a pocket square and boutonniere is a faux pas. What are your thoughts (if I were to wear both the PS would be white linen)?

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Pretty suave,huh? And on a side note,what do you think about the pocket square in the link posted? I would rather have a linen PS without the border,but this one is extremely budget friendly. If anyone can offer insight as to other places where one can get a white linen pocket square on the cheap, I'd appreciate it.

http://www.paulfredrick.com/catalog/PFCLProductDetails.aspx?Category=CLAccessories&ProductId=QUC152&MySearchString=&myOrderClause=&mySortClause=asc&FromProductCheckFlag=1&Callingpage=pfclcategory&Slno=1

I also plan on getting a red silk from Mens Wear House ($6.99 for a silk PS,hard to top that) to wear when not sporting a boutonniere.

Dashing1

New in Town
Feraud said:
The flipside of this thought is people try to look so casual, dashing, and classic they look extremely contrived.

I've yet to see anyone trying to look "too casual" with a pocket square.:)

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Geesie said:
I've heard that it's better to coordinate the pocket square with the shirt than the tie.
And I've heard perfection lies in having a pocket square not overly-coordinated with the tie nor the shirt, but complimenting both.

Why must beauty hide in the details!

Dashing1

New in Town
The great men of style always have a practiced isouciance. Archibald Leach practiced to become Cary Grant. Gary Cooper used to drag his denim jeans & shirts behind a car until they had the proper "naturally" worn and frayed look. The key is to own your look with confidence.

As pocket squares go, I would argue that it looks far more sterile and contrived to match the square to the tie than to show a bit of (perhaps intentional) sprezzatura.

One would be hard pressed to show visual examples of non-tie-matching pocket squares that look contrived, whereas one can find numerous examples of silly-looking matching square-tie combos!

Just look over at certain StyleForum-ites (also sometime members here). They can contrive to make anything look contrived. Or all the perfectly imperfectly angled hats up in the hats section … is 30 or 35 degrees from the horizontal brim the perfect insoucance? :rolleyes:

I honestly think that Cary Grant's look really does come from not caring whether something was slightly off. Not from caring that things "must be" slightly off.

bk

Dashing1

New in Town
A better way to frame the matching tie-pocket square debate might be to ask, "Can anyone show visual evidence of a man widely considered to be consistently really well-dressed (e.g. Cary Grant, George Clooney, Douglas Fairbanks types) who wears matching pocket squares and ties?"

Great question!:eusa_clap

It hasn't come up yet in this thread, but so that we don't go through it again I shall here interject with a reminder to consider the meaning of "Matching" and "Co-ordinating" before posting.

bk

p.s. I assume we are excluding white tie attire. That would be too easy.

Dashing1

New in Town
Baron Kurtz said:
It hasn't come up yet in this thread, but so that we don't go through it again I shall here interject with a reminder to consider the meaning of "Matching" and "Co-ordinating" before posting.

bk

Good point, Baron!

By "matching", I mean "made from the same fabric."

Dashing1

New in Town
well, to get back to the point...

Yes, a boutonniere and square are not only acceptable, but are quite dashing (if I may say so!)

Pics abound of Fred Astaire with both, and Cary Grant also wore both (see the cover of the book, The Boutonniere: The Syle on One's Lapel).

Wear them in good health & style!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Dashing1 said:
Cary Grant also wore both (see the cover of the book, The Boutonniere: The Style on One's Lapel).
41YJBT60ZCL__SS500_.jpg

Interestingly, the author is the former head of Brioni, which is the only high end maker (to my knowledge)that offers matching tie/pocket square.

Highlander

A-List Customer
I often wear my favorite blue silk (wth red dots) pocket square with my blue suit. Pictured with it is my Grandfathers's silk pocket square he always wore.
squares-vi.jpg

I do agree though, I'd never wear a pocket square that matched my tie.

GWD

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
41YJBT60ZCL__SS500_.jpg

Interestingly, the author is the former head of Brioni, which is the only high end maker (to my knowledge)that offers matching tie/pocket square.

Wow, there are books written about EVERYTHING! :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats