Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

POLICE ISSUED Motorcycle Jacket.

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
POLICE ISSUED MOTORCYCLE JACKET

Issued by Hunterdon Co. NJ

This jacket was issued to Hunterdon Co. Sherrif's Department; the original patches were all professionally removed, although they have left shadows... which simply add to this jacket's appeal!

This is a seriously heavy item of clothing--as you'd expect from something that actually IS workwear, rather than merely being made to LOOK like workwear by a hipster artisan in a loft in Brooklyn. It's a standard-issue "Boston PD" motorcycle jacket, with two deep slash pockets in front and faux snap chest pockets. It has a very sturdy and oversized YKK reversible zipper that runs beautifully fluidly. It the original twin holes to carry the police badge, and a bi-swing back for ease of movement. The cuffs are gauntlet American cuffs. The sides feature inset YKK zippers; when opened the jacket's sides can be held in place by adjustable straps that snap to the hem of the jacket. This feature serves the dual purpose for police officers of providing easy access to weapons and toolbelt, and allowing ease of movement and ventilation while riding. The zipper is backed by a windflap for added warmth.

This jacket has two very deep interior side pockets that are set into the seams. It also has an interior zip for an option lining, which is not included. It has a one-piece back.

This jacket is in absolutely excellent condition--the only possible flaw is the shadowing created by the removal of the original official patches on the sleeves.

UPDATE: I've left my original description, below, but this has been confirmed as leather, using Monitor's test below! :) The price is unchanged.

Please note that while this appears to be a heavy cowhide jacket, I'm not at all convinced that it is; it *might* be artificial leather. (Although given its weight it really doesn't matter what it's made of from the point of view of function!) Since I'm conservative, this is priced as though it's a polyurethane jacket--although I know of no PD that would issue these--and so is a bargain at just $75, or offer, boxed and shipped in the USA. This jacket is likely to protect and to serve you well for decades!

Measurements:

Chest: 23 3/4
Sleeve: c. 33 (measured like a shirt), or 21 from shoulder (deceptively short, given how this is cut)
Shoulder: 20 3/4 at the widest; this slopes into the sleeve.
Length (BOC at back): 24 1/4

Last edited:
I absolutely love these. The Vanson one is my favorite jacket ever. The 21" sleeve would be waaay too short for me but... I dunno, it looks like leather to me.

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
I absolutely love these. The Vanson one is my favorite jacket ever. The 21" sleeve would be waaay too short for me but... I dunno, it looks like leather to me.

Luckily, the 21" sleeve is offset by the shoulder drape, so it'll be about a 33" sleeve, measured like a shirt. WAY too small for me, too. I'm pretty sure that it's leather--the material at the seams looks just like that on cowhide briefcases--but I've been spoilt by the great leathers used in Vanson and Aero jackets, and they've sown doubt in my mind.... Hence my warning, above! :)

Such a shame about the sleeves, it they were just 2" longer, I'd take it. But I can't wear sleeves that are anything under 26". In any case, these are seriously the best jackets you can get and I really think this is leather. Look for any parts that have the back side of the leather exposed, I think there's some at the side/waist zipper - if it's fuzzy on the inside, it's leather. You've priced it really low. It's a steal and you'd get three times this much on eBay. I've been learning about these cop jackets and there's a steady market for 'em and this design is particularly interesting. People who've had just one immediately realize these jackets are something else.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a Taylor's Leathers of Kentucky. Do a quick search for them, they make almost everything in house, however thier website is all balck and white.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails