Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pollys and Spring-o-lators!

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I love both and have neither! The Pollys because of price and the Springolators because well, also price but also my big feet!

Me too! Darn those genetics. My mom swears up and down i'm just not "looking" but its really hard to find shoes that cute for larger shoe sizes. *sigh* I guess i'll continue to press my nose up against the window in the department store and dream. lol

DecoDahlia

Familiar Face
Here's my collection of Spring-o-lators, only one of them is a Polly's, likely from the 1970s.

Springs2.jpg

Springs3.jpg

Springs4.jpg

Springs5.jpg

Springs6.jpg

Springs7.jpg

Springs8.jpg

Springs9.jpg

Springs10.jpg

Springs11.jpg

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
Deco Dahlia: I have complete and total shoe envy! Such gorgeous colors!

To all the other large-footed ladies out there: Is it truly harder to find vintage shoes in size 10 than in, say, size 6? Or am I not looking in the right places?

Inky

One Too Many
HazelSmutCrunch said:

To all the other large-footed ladies out there: Is it truly harder to find vintage shoes in size 10 than in, say, size 6? Or am I not looking in the right places?

it's hard, not impossible, but hard and the competition if fierce since so many of us have bigger feet these days. I have one pair of true vintage shoes - NOS granny-style oxfords that I paid dearly for and the rest are vintage reproductions. I did find one pair of size 11 lucite shoes, slightly narrow and have since sold them.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wear anywhere from a 9 to a 10 depending on the maker. Yes, it's much harder to find large shoes. A quick ebay search of "6.5" and "9.5" will show you that.

However, they are not impossible to find. I have a medium width foot, not a narrow one, but I still have several vintage pairs that I've gotten on ebay, from ladies here in trade, and in shops. I didn't pay an arm and a leg for any of them but I never do. :) Just gotta be vigilant. I have several 40's pairs and a pair of 50's spikes.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
HazelSmutCrunch said:

Size 10 was not common in pre-50s shoes -- many mainstream fashion styles only went up to 9, and gals with larger feet would often have to go to specialty shoe stores to find their size. These stores tended to offer fewer styles, and the styles often tended to be more conservative -- so it's much easier to find size 10 housewife oxfords compared to size 10 marabou-trimmed mules. Larger sizes became somewhat easier to find by the fifties, but they still weren't as common as now.

The other problem with finding them today is that there's so many of us looking for them -- the competition tends to be ferocious, and prices go way up.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Just got a pair of size 9 Pollys at my local vintage store for $16. They have condition issues (need new heel tips and a few stitches) but are wearable as is and $15 at the cobbler will have them good as new!! :D
0714091457.jpg
0714091458.jpg

December

One of the Regulars
I've found a gorgeous pair of Spring-o-lators on Ebay US, but they are charging $44 to ship to the UK! :eek:

Surely that can't be right? I've bought things from the US for MUCH cheaper postage than that!!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
December said:
I've found a gorgeous pair of Spring-o-lators on Ebay US, but they are charging $44 to ship to the UK! :eek:

That's absolutely outrageous! I would file a complaint with Ebay against this seller.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
December said:

Surely that can't be right? I've bought things from the US for MUCH cheaper postage than that!!

A pair of shoes shipped Priority should be about $26, but $44 sounds about right for express shipping. Occasionally some sellers say they refuse to ship anything less than Express, which I think is their way of discouraging UK/international bidders.

Inky

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Just got a pair of size 9 Pollys at my local vintage store for $16. They have condition issues (need new heel tips and a few stitches) but are wearable as is and $15 at the cobbler will have them good as new!! :D]

oi! you lucky girl to have the smallish feet! those are wonderful and what a find. You certainly have been lucky lately!!

Miss_Bella_Hell

Inky said:
oi! you lucky girl to have the smallish feet! those are wonderful and what a find. You certainly have been lucky lately!!

Smallish nothing! Just because they're smaller than yours.... ;) Actually, they just fit. A 9.5 would be better. ;)

I HAVE been lucky lately. I must say though all my GREAT finds have been coming from the same shop in Brooklyn. <3!

December

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
A pair of shoes shipped Priority should be about $26, but $44 sounds about right for express shipping. Occasionally some sellers say they refuse to ship anything less than Express, which I think is their way of discouraging UK/international bidders.

Isn't there an option to forbid international bidders?

I can't believe it's that much!

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
texasgirl said:
I was at Vintage Martini on saturday and he had a red pair. My size, but I couldn't get it on- my foot's too wide. But they were sure cute! And a great price!

http://www.vintagemartini.com/clothing/shoes/post30s/1960/pages/1758.html

Gee! I'm real sorry to hear that. That actually happened to me too. I bought this amazing pair of brown and tan suede ones off of ebay. They were my size and everything. But for some reason when I went to put them on they didn't fit. You see my left foot is just a little bigger than my right. So even though a shoe may be my size, it's never wide enough to fit both feet. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo