Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Portugal felt

Fedora

Vendor
I made a nice gray hat using a 120 gram beaver body from Portugal. I guess this is the nicest modern felt I have seen. I specified the body with no stiffener at all and it is very vintage feeling. The 75 gram body, (and I have one of those received as a sample) reminds me of the thin vintage Borsalino felt. Almost paper thin and the wind would change the style put into it. Anyways, here she is. http://public.fotki.com/Fedora/hats/pdrm0073.html

The ribbon is an iron color vintage ribbon that I was lucky enough to find a small quanity of this year. regards, Fedora

Fedora

Vendor
Oh, for those interested, I used a number 53 fedora block for this hat, a vintage block. These Portugal bodies arrive pre-pounced and the finish is so good that no additional pouncing is needed. But, a half an hour of hand pouncing with some really fine paper would make the great finish, superlative, but would remove some of the nap that tells you by touch that it is beaver felt. Fedora

Fedora

Vendor
Once I get up and running on making hats using this felt, they will go for 225.00 for Lounge members as I give discounts here and at COW. Thanks. I am basically waiting on Marc to launch the European Adventurebilt as he will be using this same felter, but with a special made beaver body. I want to introduce it at the same time. Should be fairly soon as he is about set up. Thanks for the interest! Fedora

Wonderful work, Fedora. Congratulations! Did you also make the brown fedora below? I'd love to have one with this exact form to it!

pageyhat1-vi.jpg

pageyhat2-vi.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
And Worth It

I think this may be The Hat I've been waiting for.
You can see from the photos that the felt is soft.
Finally!

Sharpey... your thoughts? (Besides "buy it now?"

:cheers1: Whooskey.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Better than Sterling Beaver!

Scott, You must be a mind reader. Steve made that fedora for me we have been waiting for this pure beaver felt to come in. Steve told me for a dress weight hat body it was some really gorgeous felt. This beaver felt is a little thicker than a Optimo and thinner than the Winchester beaver felt Steve uses for his custom made Indy Fedora. Steve told me this beaver felt is soft as a cloud.
I think it will be like my 1930 vintage Borsalino that I love dearly except this new hat is a 100% pure beaver.
I will post pictures when it arrives here from Steve.:) :cheers1: :)

And here we go!

port1.JPG

port2.JPG

port3.JPG

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sharpetoys,
I can't wait to see those pictures. Steve makes a beautiful hat. I wear one of his everyday (I have three!) In fact, it is tough to pick which one to wear. He is such an aficionado that it is a pleasure buying hats from him.

And this new hat looks awesome. Knowing the care and attention Steve puts into selecting the materials for his hats, I know the Portugal felt will be awesome.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Great Minds Think Alike!

SHARPETOYS said:
Scott, You must be a mind reader. Steve made that fedora for me we have been waiting for this pure beaver felt to come in. I will post pictures when it arrives here from Steve.:) :cheers1: :)

Very anxious to see those! Great addition to your collection my friend!

AND

New Felt = No Brylcreem Funk!
:cheers1:

Mycroft

One Too Many
Great color, works well with those kinda dark grey suits like the one Elliot Ness has in The Untouchables. Man, it looks sharp and maybe be cool as a winter adventure hat, as one might have it on after sking.

Fedora

Vendor
Do you just do the hat in one block? Can you do open crown? Do you make to one set of dimensions, or do you have some flexibility? Thanks.

Oh no, I have different block shapes. I can send it open crown and let you do the creases. And, I can make it to your specs. Pretty flexible as I handmake each one, so you can specify, or send a pic of the hat you want me to replicate. I specialize in the Raiders fedora, but can copy most anything. Thanks for the interest! Fedora

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
100% Handmade

Hemingway Jones said:
Sharpetoys,
I can't wait to see those pictures. Steve makes a beautiful hat. I wear one of his everyday (I have three!) In fact, it is tough to pick which one to wear. He is such an aficionado that it is a pleasure buying hats from him.

And this new hat looks awesome. Knowing the care and attention Steve puts into selecting the materials for his hats, I know the Portugal felt will be awesome.

Unlike one so called hatter I delt with once, Steve is a honest hatter and won't make you a piece of junk!! He handmakes by himself each and every hat that leaves his shop.

I call that so called hatter "Bully, Bribe, Badgering and Lie Hatters" nothing Happy about him at all.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Simply beautiful !!

scotrace said:
Is that hat warming your noggin yet?

I've gone back to look at the pictures of it every day I think!

Scott,
I got the hat and took a few pictures and will email them to you. Steve Delk asked me to mail my new hat to another hatter to see this fine felt. This 100% beaver is as soft as a cloud very dense but at the same time thin. This felt reminds me of my 1930 Borsalino.:) or my vintage Cavanagh :)

Unlike one hat seller on the net that sells his over priced junk and puts down other hatters and gives out bum sources to waste your money. Steve Delk trys to help other hatters with his actions not his Mouth. He wanted other Professional hatters to see this very fine Portugal beaver felt.
Like the hatter, this felt is in a class of its own!! :cheers1:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hard Work Paying Off

Thanks for the photos. Sharpey. It's possible Steve may be the busiest hatter on the planet soon.
I'm green as grass on this whole hat thing, but it seems to me that the process is similar for most of us:
You want a fedora, maybe one of those Indiana Jones things, but are wary of spending a lot of money, so first time out, you go for an Akubra, because thet's who makes the best factory-made modestly-priced hats right now and there are so many good reports about it. You get your Akubra and are pleased, get used to wearing a hat out and about, and soon, want another. So you watch the auctions and cross your fingers and snipe until you get something vintage. And then you GET IT. Modern felt can't compare! That Akubra feels like cardboard now!
But...
The funk!!!
This vintage hat you have has been worn by someone else, unknown, on their slickery haired head, and there's funk inside to prove it. Then it sat in a closet/attic/cellar for 30 years. So you can have it cleaned, etc., but lose that sweatbeand that adds to its charm. So you live with those browny goo spots on the liner, and that odd old sweat fragrance once your head warms it up.
So. Two choices. Stiff felt, or old funk. If only there were a modern hat maker who could get some of this soft, buttery felt! We can put a man on the moon and stash 10,000 songs in a pocket, SURELY somebody out there makes proper felt?
If this is it, this felt/hat will fill a serious void. I predict 26 hour workdays!
GREAT hat Roger. Beautiful color. You look great in it!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace