Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

possible to soften/uncurl a western brim curl?

illumin8em

A-List Customer
I am trying to take my first leap into the hat world, withe a very small budget that I do not for see changing anytime soon. There is a hat that I think will fit my big head on ebay, that looks (to me) to have close to the same dimensions as some of the open roads that I have seen on the forum during my life here on the forum with the exception of its western upturned sides brim.

I am hoping that there is a way to soften this, or get rid of it completely. I am hoping to keep the brim as straight as possible, that is the look that I like.

I have bid on a few in the past, but I cannot compete most bank accounts and always lose. I am hoping that this, or something like it will be my answer.

This is not a picture of the actual hat, but it has a slightly more exaggerated curl than the hat of interest from what I can tell. (sorry if it is rude fellas, but I want to have the best chance at this as possible, and don't need any competition)

hat.jpg
[/IMG]

thanks for any help and advice.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
If you want it flat you can just flatten it with a steam iron. Just put the iron on a medium setting, set the hat on a flat surface and then press and steam, lifting the iron up every couple of seconds to make sure that you don't scorch the felt.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Yes -- it is absolutely possible to re-shape the brim on a hat like that. Application of steam will do the trick. See this thread for a recent example of a re-shaped brim on a western hat.

Cheers,
JtL

Take it from one who has learned the hard way ...

Should you use an iron, don't place it directly on the hat. Use a press cloth.

Another method ...

Denatured alcohol will soften the stiffener. Should you go that route, spray on the alcohol and then bend the brim to the desired shape. You may have to place soup cans (or whatever else might be convenient) to hold the brim in place while it dries. The felt will re-stiffen when the alcohol evaporates.

frussell

One Too Many
Watch that iron

Tonyb is right, as usual. I've had great success re-shaping literally dozens of western hats with an iron, but I always use a handkerchief or thin towel between the iron and felt. You need to especially watch it if there's a bound brim, and also not to touch the hat ribbon, as most will scorch or melt. I have found that the brim shape most western hat makers tend to like looks a little too much like a giant taco on my head, so I always spray them with cold water, press most of the moisture out with clean towels, and then iron the slightly moist brim to my liking. It may take a few rounds, but it will work on most hats. Good luck to you. Frank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner