Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Just picked this one up from Vintage Haberdashers (Dinerman). Very nice hat. And oddly, it seems the former owner and I have very similar names - I am a William David II also.

BillLenker_zpsd46162a4.jpg

Mike, Thanks! I don't believe they were farmed. It appears they were fairly plentiful at one time but no longer.

Alan, Perry, Thanks!

James, Here you go!

Lutra_lutra_1_-_Otter,_Owl,_and_Wildlife_Park.jpg

Last edited:

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I took receivership of a hat that Parker made for me. I had read Mon's threads from say January and also Alive n Amplified as well. I wanted a hat similar to AnA's hat but not a true copy and like Monk, was going back and forth between granite and charcoal and sometimes steel. I have a Caribou colored Stetson Saxon and was worried that granite and charcoal would be too similar. I wanted something lighter than the Caribou, but not as light as silverbelly.

Here is how my Stetson looks:

photo2-4.jpg

I wanted a unique ribbon treatment that would be dressy, but also not too dressy, and not something that you had to stare at to appreciate or 'get' but that would keep the eye's engaged without having to wonder what it was. Eric (shortbaldingguy) had a pink stripe in his keeper on this hat and yes, I borrowed from him:

pink.jpg

AnA had a ribbon treatment that had the complimentary color scheme and he may have done his in a ribbon edge, whereas I got an underwelt. That hat body was a tad bigger than 7 1/8th so I shimmed the sweatband with weatherstripping with a paper towel cut to wrap around and clear tape around it, so it fits great now. 2 inch brim, just like my Stetson Saxon and center dent as well. Brim may not be as defined but hey, I get looks. I consider the Stetson to be a more formal look and this Falcon Park can go either way. My wife thinks I look better in the darker felt of the Saxon, but I love how the Granite of this hat goes with everything.

falcon1.jpg

falcon2.jpg

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Just got this from a well known German hat hoarder........er collector who I shamelessly solicited. Thank you Steve! A 1950s Huckel Foulard waterproof. Nice lightweight and pliable felt, I'm going to enjoy wearing this hat. Pardon the pix quality, it's raining out today.

I love the minimalist ribbon bow and brim binding:
IMG_0426_zpsf6ab9bf0.jpg

IMG_0428_zps85ee482b.jpg

Kool detail, a retractable loop hanger.........
IMG_0432_zpsdd8ccd7b.jpg

and extended:
IMG_0434_zps712c180f.jpg

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
1930s? Penn-Craft. I have never heard of this brand untill I saw it on e-bay, so I am assuming it is decently rare. The had has been a victim of the dreaded moth-munchies, and the previous owners have done a pretty bad pinch job to it, which you can see in the photos. I am going to work on making it look a bit normal.

The color is a deep grey, with a hint of a purple undertone to it. Very nice! So nice infact, that my camera has trouble taking pictures (I think I need a new camera).The sweat band is in great shape, there are no popped stitches on the reed, or sweat, and the liner is in amazing shape, with just a few marks.

Here are the pics:

h110.jpg

h210.jpg

h310.jpg

Sitting on my head:
06110.jpg

09410.jpg

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Nice score on that one, after you fix the pinch to your liking it's only going to look even better.

You fared better than I.

Another day, another brown Bowler that doesnt fit me, and will be heading straight to the classifieds.

Dunlap Brown Bowler from Pantke Harpe.

2013-03-11-195717_zps5b691b42.jpg

2013-03-11-195623_zps0ce2074a.jpg

2013-03-11-195642_zps59f7e97d.jpg

2013-03-11-195746_zps3b81e446.jpg

2013-03-11-195832_zpsf2fd1350.jpg

Justin, Great find with Penn-Craft! It should snap back into place after a heavy steam and brush. The sweatband logos are really fantastic!

OCMH, Your Dunlap Derby looks great! I really like the lighter color. Sorry to hear it doesn't fit.

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Justin, Great find with Penn-Craft! It should snap back into place after a heavy steam and brush. The sweatband logos are really fantastic!

OCMH, Your Dunlap Derby looks great! I really like the lighter color. Sorry to hear it doesn't fit.

Thank you for your consolation haha, I know i'm pretty bummed about this one. His measurements had the circumference at 22 and 1/4 and it just aint the case. And I would have worn this one all the time, it has such a great profile and and brim curl.

I just spent the last hour working out dents and it looks even better now. Oh well it was worth it to see this one in person, it's a great looking hat and at least I get to admire it for the time being.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
New Cane Rod Maker (Tim Mahovuch) Custom.

First some background on the concept for this hat:
This hat is part of a special collection I'm putting together of custom hats. Each one representing one of my children. I had Art Fawcett make the first three. 1 for my 2nd oldest daughter Camilla, and 2 for my twins Max and Carlota who were born very prematurely and didn't survive.

This new hat by Tim is for my third oldest daughter Greta pictured here:
IMG_0455.JPG

I asked Tim to do the hat in silverbelly with a touch of blue somewhere in the bow (Greta has very clear blue eyes). I think he nailed it and I'm very happy with the hat and fit.

Without further ado, here's the hat:
IMG_4059.JPG

IMG_4060.JPG

IMG_4061.JPG

IMG_4062.JPG

IMG_4063.JPG

IMG_4064.JPG

IMG_4065.JPG

IMG_4066.JPG

IMG_4067.JPG

Sprinkles

One of the Regulars
Here is my final hat for awhile, as I now have all colors I wanted. Seems to be a rather obscure maker "Chapeaux Moderne". Very nice hat, though a little more disheveled than my others, it has a few smudges. Also the liner is just loosely plopped in. I think the liner was replaced at some point because the liner says Royal Beaver Twenty...and the sweatband says Royal Beaver Fifteen! Has an overwelt, 2 inch brim, and un-reeded sweatband. It is quite devoid of other markings. I know black sweatbands are usually associated with the 60s or later, but this one is black and quite thin and supple. Would you say this is from the 50s?

chapeaux1.jpg

chapeaux2.jpg

chapeaux3.jpg

chapeaux4.jpg

Great lids, great VALUE, too, JLee. The crown shape and brim are perfect for you IMHO. Indiana?! Isn't that where prince Charles spent his first honeymoon...?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Looks great with that crease, Robert. I've never handled a Melton yet, it looks beutifully finished from your photos. Off Topic, are you using the (Fuji?) Dslr camera?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW